Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing my motor bike

importing my motor bike

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough
Default importing my motor bike

Does any body know if there`s much paperwork, (or if it`s even worth bothering with), in taking a bike over to Aus in our container. They seem very expensive to buy over there
keith
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:41 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: importing my motor bike

Originally Posted by taylors244
Does any body know if there`s much paperwork, (or if it`s even worth bothering with), in taking a bike over to Aus in our container. They seem very expensive to buy over there
keith
Hi Keith,

I pondered this question as well... I had a 2000 Suzuki SV650S in the UK and decided that it wasnt worth shipping... not worth it. So I sold it and got 3000 pounds for it. I put that money in the bank and I've just bought myself a 2003 Suzuki SV650S for $8600 (that's about 3500 pounds) It has 6500km on the clock and 1 1/2 yrs warranty remaining!

For what it would have cost me to ship the bike I have bought a newer model!

I guess it depends how much work you've put into your bike, what you could sell it for and how attached you are to it.

Good luck!

W,
Old Jun 24th 2005, 10:20 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

keith
I am taking my bike i think they tax you 10% of its value, But my bike is almost new and i know its history as i bought it new. I have heard that if you strip it down you can import it as parts ,ie no 10% ? Will double check with the shipping co when i book one .
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:24 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

keith
Hi Kieth, we are taking our daytona 955i in our 20ft container, our removals people (Abels) are providing a special crate for it to go in with our stuff. Yeah I believe its 10% of thier estimation of its value upon arrival. We decided that as we have had the bike from new and really didnt want to get a different bike history unknown, that we'd take it. It hasnt been any hassle at all, just had to fill in the forms that we got from thier dept.of transport in canberra pay $50 and change the clocks to kmh - job done!
Old Jun 25th 2005, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

we brought our bike out cost $1500 at the most with customs etc.came out in the container with furniture. on the road week and a bit after collecting it. if you need any more info message me .had a few little snags with different peeps saying do this then that.defintly would do it again ..hope this helps
Old Jun 27th 2005, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

bloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nice

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi Kieth, we are taking our daytona 955i in our 20ft container, our removals people (Abels) are providing a special crate for it to go in with our stuff. Yeah I believe its 10% of thier estimation of its value upon arrival. We decided that as we have had the bike from new and really didnt want to get a different bike history unknown, that we'd take it. It hasnt been any hassle at all, just had to fill in the forms that we got from thier dept.of transport in canberra pay $50 and change the clocks to kmh - job done!
Hi,
I'm thinking of taking my Buell too, but if the clocks are in mph and kph doesn't that save the hassle of new clocks ?? I would have took my speed triple too but the new 1050 is actually cheaper in Aus !!

How do we get in touch with Abels ??
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

Why do you need to get in touch with abels? all removals will put the bike in a crate of its own, it is never transported as it is. as for mph/klm speedo that is no problem. the fact of the matter with regards to modifying the bike to AUS standards is actually that if its a european spec (which most these days are) you wont need to modify it, and as we have an MOT system in the uk the chances are you wont need to do much if any work on it for a road safety.
the only thing you need to watch out for is that most removal companies also have relationships with business' offering to check the bike is of Aus specifications, be aware, though in terms of £ it isnt much it usually costs approx $250, the question you need to ask your self is "do i need to do that?"
as ive said i bought my bike out, after basically everyone said i shouldnt and it cost too much. unfortunately i had no1 to give me advice on what to do, it took me 2 weeks and i was on the road. if you need help PM me.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:15 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bloofox
Hi,
I'm thinking of taking my Buell too, but if the clocks are in mph and kph doesn't that save the hassle of new clocks ?? I would have took my speed triple too but the new 1050 is actually cheaper in Aus !!

How do we get in touch with Abels ??
Yeah our clocks had both MPH and KPH but the KPH was so small on the dial we just thought we'd sort it out as it wasnt cost prohibitive.Abels number is 01842 816600 but as other post said all removals companies should be able to help.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:42 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

keith
.... Relative to the UK, I think you'll find they're cheaper. Some Euro exotics might be worth bringing over, but check first. Bikes lose value pretty quickly and you can pick up near new bargains. Check http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au for prices.