Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing goods restrictions?

Importing goods restrictions?

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Importing goods restrictions?

Has anyone imported machinery of any sort? I have a workshop which is full of machines i.e. Milling machine, Drill presses, Band saw/s, Chop saws, blast cabinet, Gas forge …and the list goes on. My hobby (one of them) is knifemaking, and my machines/tools etc have taken me years to collect, thus I don’t want to ‘sell-up’ and start again. However, I have heard that Customs can be awkward with some things… then there is a small matter of my firearms!! (GULP!) At least my wife should be happy, I’ve told her that if there is any room left in the container, we may get some furniture in!! Maybe a coffee table and a couple of chairs.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There was a post a while ago about firearms - if you search on that or guns you should find it. I think the law varies from state to state, so depends where you are heading.
Can't help on the rest i'm afraid - must be a fascinating collection of stuff though.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:16 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Dont know about firearms but as for tools bring EVERYTHING screws and nails are even expensive compared with UK bring everything paint and etc if you can fit it in and it is not in an aerosole. Although we did squash as much in our 20 ft container as we could Colin still regrets some of the items he left behind or sold off cheap. BRING EVERYTHING you can always sell what you do not want at a Garage sale and going by what we have seen at these sales a piece of rust iron will sell to someone
Old Dec 15th 2003, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

must be a fascinating collection of stuff though...

...yes, it is Pollyana...why does my wife call it junk though!!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by yafm
Dont know about firearms but as for tools bring EVERYTHING screws and nails are even expensive compared with UK bring everything paint and etc if you can fit it in and it is not in an aerosole. Although we did squash as much in our 20 ft container as we could Colin still regrets some of the items he left behind or sold off cheap. BRING EVERYTHING you can always sell what you do not want at a Garage sale and going by what we have seen at these sales a piece of rust iron will sell to someone
Why no Aerosole's... are they banned?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:15 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Aerosoles can be explosive they even took out my hair spray when they packed up.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:23 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Firearm Info:

Applying for a licence:
http://www.nswshooting.com.au/siteFSAC/html/licence.htm

Sports Shooting Assoc of Aus:
http://www.ssaa.org.au/

That should get you started! Make sure you declare EVERYTHING - knives, guns, airguns, pistols, rifles, swords... you get the picture.

They'll probably take it all off you and store it until you get your licences sorted, but it's not a quick process. You'll have to pass a firearms safety awareness test before they'll issue your licence. A lot of weapons are restricted. Handguns are a new issue - the law's just been re-written on handguns, and the paperwork to apply for a licence for handguns won't be available until about February (best guess).

If you're coming to NSW, the number to ring is 1300 362 562. That's the NSW Police Firearms Registry
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/

I would suggest you contact them BEFORE you load anything into any container, to make sure that you can bring it into the country.

Assuming that you get the go ahead, as far as your machinery is concerned, my suggestion would be to bring THE LOT. You could find yourself with a nice little earner, there. Just make sure that people you sell to / do work for are licenced!!!!!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kevin
Why no Aerosole's... are they banned?
Don't know about Aerosole's but I think Arseholes should be banned.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Firearm Info:

Originally posted by downunderpom
Applying for a licence:
http://www.nswshooting.com.au/siteFSAC/html/licence.htm

Sports Shooting Assoc of Aus:
http://www.ssaa.org.au/

That should get you started! Make sure you declare EVERYTHING - knives, guns, airguns, pistols, rifles, swords... you get the picture.

They'll probably take it all off you and store it until you get your licences sorted, but it's not a quick process. You'll have to pass a firearms safety awareness test before they'll issue your licence. A lot of weapons are restricted. Handguns are a new issue - the law's just been re-written on handguns, and the paperwork to apply for a licence for handguns won't be available until about February (best guess).

If you're coming to NSW, the number to ring is 1300 362 562. That's the NSW Police Firearms Registry
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/

I would suggest you contact them BEFORE you load anything into any container, to make sure that you can bring it into the country.

Assuming that you get the go ahead, as far as your machinery is concerned, my suggestion would be to bring THE LOT. You could find yourself with a nice little earner, there. Just make sure that people you sell to / do work for are licenced!!!!!
Thanks for the info...sounds like you have experience in this? I will check out the links... cheers...
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:00 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Firearm Info:

Originally posted by Kevin
Thanks for the info...sounds like you have experience in this?
Yes.