Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a classic car to oz? information please

Importing a classic car to oz? information please

Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:07 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a classic car to oz? information please

Hi, we are moving this time next year(136skilled) and we are moving to qld.

My brother is moving out too in a year or so and his company is paying for all his relocation and he said that i can stick my 1969 Triumph spitfire in the container for free as he isnt taking any cars.

I*s there import duty on cars of a certain age and what is it based on please,and are there any other costs involved.
I have read all the searches and none talk about classic cars and most people resign to selling their nearly new cars as the debate for sell on and repairs will be tough, but i wont face this as my car is fully restored and you can fix tthem with a hammer anyway.
Any links to ay websites or any info would b bery appreciated.
thanks
al
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing a classic car to oz? information please

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi, we are moving this time next year(136skilled) and we are moving to qld.

My brother is moving out too in a year or so and his company is paying for all his relocation and he said that i can stick my 1969 Triumph spitfire in the container for free as he isnt taking any cars.

I*s there import duty on cars of a certain age and what is it based on please,and are there any other costs involved.
I have read all the searches and none talk about classic cars and most people resign to selling their nearly new cars as the debate for sell on and repairs will be tough, but i wont face this as my car is fully restored and you can fix tthem with a hammer anyway.
Any links to ay websites or any info would b bery appreciated.
thanks
al
We plan to import 4 bikes, the oldest of which dates from 1956. I've got all the bumpf at home and will try to post you the links later.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:48 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

thad be great, and any more info in the meantime as to wat gov body websites etc i need to approach to see the costs.
ABC diamond please can you help. or pollyanna.

thanks

alk
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:57 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I said I'd get back to you on another thread so here goes.

Check this link:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=classic+car

For Oz market value visit:
www.redbook.com.au

For UK selling value visit:
[url]www.parkers.co.uk

A recommended car shipping website which includes a cost calculator visit:
[url]www.karmanshipping.co.uk

For Australian customs info visit:
www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

You also need to go to:
www.dotars.gov.au
This is the site you get the vehicle import approval form from, I think this is the right link to take you straight to it:
www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/str-imp-cert.htm
might work, might not.
Their email address is:
[email protected]
or call them from outside Oz on 00612 6274 7444

If you need anything else let me know and I'll try to help

Marie

Last edited by 68MEVY; Jun 13th 2005 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:07 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi, I said I'd get back to you on another thread so here goes.

Check this link:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=classic+car

For Oz market value visit:
www.redbook.com.au

[url]www.parkers.co.uk

[url]www.karmanshipping.co.uk

For Australian customs info visit:
www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

You also need to go to:
www.dotars.gov.au
This is the site you get the vehicle import approval form from, I think this is the right link to take you straight to it:
www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/str-imp-cert.htm
might work, might not.
Their email address is:
[email protected]
or call them from outside Oz on 00612 6274 7444

If you need anything else let me know and I'll try to help

Marie

For some reason one of the links deleted itself and I need to alter one that doesn't work yet it won't let me edit so here are the corrections.

www.parkers.co.uk

www.karmenshipping.co.uk

Hope it works this time
Marie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a useful link about how to go about registering an imported vehicle in Queensland

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/f...256a6b002425fc

I have to say that I am completely confused about Certificates of Modification, Compliance Plates and Personal Import plates!! We are going out to Qld later this month and I intend to visit one of the Queensland Transport Customer Service Centres to ask them to explain the procedure to me in words of one syllable! We're hoping that motorbikes won't be as complicated to modify as cars!

Good Luck with making sense of it all!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:12 pm
Banned

thanks thats loads to look through, but it doesnt seem to answer any requirements/tax breaks for historic vehicles, and i need to know about emissions tests,(car is unleaded now) and how i can put high level brake light in a convertable that s about 2 and 1/2 ft off the ground.

Thanks for all the input, and if there is any more out there relating to classc cars, then it will be much appreciated.
p.s. if im missing something in the links and being blind please tell me.
And the shippers are www.karmanshipping.co.uk

thanks
alk
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

I have just gone through the process of applying for importing and shipping my car.

I would suggest that you talk to the dotars people through the http://www.dotars.gov.au/ website. I did this and asked all my questions by email correspondence. They were very helpful and answered all my questions very promptly.

I started this by emailing their help people on [email protected]