Importing Cars

Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by Wishaw2Brisbane
Waiting a year will not help the resell value. Once they depreciate they never recover trust me. I've worked in the motor trade for a long time. The only exception to this would be a classic car.
I bought my classic TVR for £3300 5 years ago and just sold it for £13500, paid for a wedding and visa. I feel quiet pleased with myself.. just thought id share that
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmie2807
I bought my classic TVR for £3300 5 years ago and just sold it for £13500, paid for a wedding and visa. I feel quiet pleased with myself.. just thought id share that
...after spending £50k doing it up
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
...after spending £50k doing it up
Nothing but elbow grease and some innovative use, swapped engine for cosworth I picked up for £400, some mondeo brakes and a bit of welding. I reckon maybe £1500 over 5 years so I would class that as normal wear and tear to be honest. Most expensive I paid for an MOT and service was £90 and it was £150 a year to insure. best car ever!!!! Oh and £30 to fill a tank up which did more miles than OH Ford KA.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

...and with the current exchange rate as it is ($1.8ish:£1), it looks even more worthwhile to ship your car over. Well for us anyway.

Has anyone from this thread recently shipped theirs over?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Over the years my son has gradually spent time and money accumulating cars, which he insists he brings to Australia. He has taste as his collection includes high end Aston Martin, Lambo, as well as the more mundane Subaru WRC and he has spend hours working on them and keeping them in top condition. He is prepared to let go of the more mundane run around, but is now digging his heels in.

The argument over the costs of cleaning and importation have gone over his head, and with the thread now going off along the "you can turn a tidy profit" route, I feel that I am having an even harder time getting him to rationalise the collection.

Can anyone advise on how many of his toy cars you can get in a typical removals box?

TD
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:55 am
Just Joined

janine newtownabbey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glorianic
Can you tell me what you did when your car arrived on the docks, what did you need to get it roadworthy and on the road pleae

We have just arrived and are getting conflicting answers.

Did you go to Sydney or elesewhere

Thanks

glorianic

I brought a German Car here, new value in UK £25,000, second hand value 2007 approximately £1400. (7 Years Old).

I arranged my own container £1150 (40ft) to the car and furniture, so car used up aft of space.

Conatiner therefore approx $1200
Clean down in Uk, £0 did it myself as I knew customs would charge me again in Aus.
Approval fee $50 must have owned vehicle for min 12 months.
Arrange an agent to clear it through quarantine and customs
Agent fees, storage and customs costs, cleaning costs of the car.
Pits, which is a really easy process and it flew through and I had plates within no time.

The whole lot was approximately $2500.

Now that car here is worth $10000.

Hindsight I would have shipped the car prior to me leaving Aus, so when I arrived I would have minimise the rental of a car.

Its all Too Easy if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]

Where are getting a 40ft container for £1150!!!!!!!
Its costing me over £5k!!!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

grays is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alfresco
...and with the current exchange rate as it is ($1.8ish:£1), it looks even more worthwhile to ship your car over. Well for us anyway.

Has anyone from this thread recently shipped theirs over?
We shipped our VW Golf over, we arrived about 3 months ago. Yes, there was alot of paper work and it's not the cheapest thing in the world to do. Saying that we're still glad we did it as it saved having to look around for a car when we got here and paying loads for a very old second hand motor.

Make sure you take out insurance though. Our car made it all the way to Oz and then got hit when being unloaded from the car ferry at this end Our insurance company is covering the repair costs which is a relief.....just a bit more paperwork to deal with.
Good luck !
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! That's good to know. We will ship our car and will probably have to buy another (small) new car when we arrive.

I don't want to have to buy an expensive second hand piece of junk.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Excellent! That's good to know. We will ship our car and will probably have to buy another (small) new car when we arrive.

I don't want to have to buy an expensive second hand piece of junk.
im taking mine
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool! Let us know how you get on e.g. any issues, things to look out for for etc...

All the best!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Cool! Let us know how you get on e.g. any issues, things to look out for for etc...

All the best!
will do.
ronnie
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

My Mercedes Arrived in Brisbane about a month ago really quite easy. Got stiched up by the garage that did the safety and the complience, but theres bugger all you can do they got your car. The aquis bunch still charged me to clean it even though it had been done in the UK. I dont beleive they did it just charged me for it. Bumper was marked but to small to claim. cost me about 2k more than I thought.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Our car is almost in our hands. We'll hopefully get it next week sometime.

It has cost quite a bit to import, but I'll do a cost comparison once I have all the figures.

Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul from Poole
My Mercedes Arrived in Brisbane about a month ago really quite easy. Got stiched up by the garage that did the safety and the complience, but theres bugger all you can do they got your car. The aquis bunch still charged me to clean it even though it had been done in the UK. I dont beleive they did it just charged me for it. Bumper was marked but to small to claim. cost me about 2k more than I thought.
One garage quoted me $2000 for compliance. I got my local garage in Epping to do it for $300. There's some right gits who try to take advantage.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Woo hoo, I received my car today with Sunshine State plates on.

Total cost to import:

Shipping from UK RoRo = $2816
Oz side Customs + duty = $3692
Compliance, Rego, Ctp = $1904

Total import cost = $8412 (£5258)

If I had sold in the UK and bought in Oz:

Sold in UK = $8000 (£5000)
Buy same car Oz = $22000
Nett cost to buy similar in Oz = $22000 - $8000 = $14000

So $14000 - $8412 = $5588 (£3492)

So I saved myself $5588 or £3492 by importing to my car to Oz.

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 20th 2010 at 8:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.