British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Importing Cars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/importing-cars-600334/)

johnschofield10 Mar 26th 2009 11:31 am

Importing Cars

Hi Has anyone gone down the route of importing a car into Oz? If so any advice given would be greatefully received.

John

gill aussie dreamer Mar 26th 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Visitor Visa while applying for the 143

Originally Posted by johnschofield10 (Post 7421387)
Hi Has anyone gone down the route of importing a car into Oz? If so any advice given would be greatefully received.

John

hope someone comes along soon with this advice as wondering about doing this myself.

gillm

scampie Mar 26th 2009 7:26 pm

car export

is it worth shipping our car or is it a difficult process?

Geelong Gent Mar 26th 2009 7:33 pm

Re: car export

Originally Posted by scampie (Post 7422898)

What car?

Define difficult?

Ask BigApe:)

csutka71 Mar 26th 2009 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by scampie (Post 7422898)

We have looked into it last year as we were considering taking our mazda 6. There is the option on Ro-Ro roll-on, roll-off, they have quoted us around 1500-1800. Extra expense: the car will have to be thorouly cleaned inside and out, there is a payment when it gets there so much %-age of the value of your car. I think it worked out around £3000. Also consider that the cars in Aus get manufactured to a different standard and if for any reason yours need repair work done the part may have to be shipped from UK to fit.
We decided not to take ours and will be selling when the time comes.

bigAPE Mar 26th 2009 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by csutka71 (Post 7422953)
We have looked into it last year as we were considering taking our mazda 6. There is the option on Ro-Ro roll-on, roll-off, they have quoted us around 1500-1800. Extra expense: the car will have to be thorouly cleaned inside and out, there is a payment when it gets there so much %-age of the value of your car. I think it worked out around £3000. Also consider that the cars in Aus get manufactured to a different standard and if for any reason yours need repair work done the part may have to be shipped from UK to fit.
We decided not to take ours and will be selling when the time comes.

Not to mention the Quarantine Entry fees, Customs Entry fees, Air Conditioning fees, AQIS Quarantine fees, Local shipping fees, Customs Levied Entry fees and that's before you get hit with import tax, duty and on-road costs.

Have a read of this...

Importing Your Car to Australia

and if you still feel that you want to go ahead with it I'll give you a very rough estimate of the total cost of importing if you provide the following information.
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Be as specific as possible

Al

mark213 Mar 27th 2009 2:56 am

Re: Visitor Visa while applying for the 143

Originally Posted by gill aussie dreamer (Post 7421533)
hope someone comes along soon with this advice as wondering about doing this myself.

gillm

Generally not worth it in a nutshell. Have a search on the Australia forum for this topic - its widely asked but generally so expensive, there is import duties, GST, quarentine, and the equivilent of MOT that you must really have a valuable car to make it worthwhile. Then its a matter of getting parts. Not for the faint hearted.

home alone Mar 27th 2009 7:04 am

Re: the ALL NEW SPARKLY contributory parents visa thread!!!

:) Hi! johnschofield10,

Ref, enquiry about shipping vehicles, we helped ship daughters, 'not so new', 4x4 toyota, 3 years ago, and when (and if) we go, we are shipping our car.

It was all done through a company, in/near Southampton, they were very good, (daughter still has her vehicle) no time to find the details, should be out the door, on my way to work, now!!!! Will p m you tonight, when I've more time, sorry! (you know what it's like, you are just going to have a look on ex pats, then an hour later!!!!!!!!!!!)

Regards

scampie Mar 27th 2009 8:08 am

toyota rav 4 2.0 gx litre petrol engine. 2002. metalic blue. some body extras. Air con etc 75000 miles. owned since new. worth about £4900 thanks

bigAPE Mar 27th 2009 9:40 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scampie (Post 7424485)
toyota rav 4 2.0 gx litre petrol engine. 2002. metalic blue. some body extras. Air con etc 75000 miles. owned since new. worth about £4900 thanks

Transmission: 4 Speed Auto, 5 Speed Manual ? Class of RAV4: Cruiser 4x4 ?

To give you an idea there are 800+ used RAV4's for sale in Australia on just one website. They are a ver popular marque here and are actually built in Australia for the local market.

At a rough used estimate of A$15,500 the difference in used values is about £1,300, but even then this would lead to a loss of around ~£1,520 based on an on-the-road to on-the-road cost. RORO shipping at about £800, Customs Duty would be around £1,000 and local charges around £1,500.

See attached PDF for more details.

These figures are based on shipping to, and registering in, Victoria and may be a little different for other states, although not much.

Hope this helps

Al

Darren-Debbie Mar 27th 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Big Ape,
i know we discussed this briefly before, but would you mind having a go at this one

and if you still feel that you want to go ahead with it I'll give you a very rough estimate of the total cost of importing if you provide the following information.
[COLOR= Dark blue mettalic]
[Land Rover]Make
[Range Rover]Model
[2.5 DT]Model Type
[5 Door]Body Type
[2.5 Turbo Diesel]Engine size
[Auto]Transmission
[1999]Year of Manufacture
[140,000 miles]Mileage
[Good body, mechanically superb]Condition
[£2k]What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

Be as specific as possible

will have room in 40ft container along with other possessions

johnschofield10 Mar 27th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by home alone (Post 7424382)
:) Hi! johnschofield10,

Ref, enquiry about shipping vehicles, we helped ship daughters, 'not so new', 4x4 toyota, 3 years ago, and when (and if) we go, we are shipping our car.

It was all done through a company, in/near Southampton, they were very good, (daughter still has her vehicle) no time to find the details, should be out the door, on my way to work, now!!!! Will p m you tonight, when I've more time, sorry! (you know what it's like, you are just going to have a look on ex pats, then an hour later!!!!!!!!!!!)

Regards

Hi Home alone,
John Here any help or tips on the process would be very welcome.

John

hwilson Mar 27th 2009 8:10 pm

Importing Cars

Hi,
Because the second hand car market is so poor, I was also thinking about taking both mine and my wife's cars. I had checked the internet and found it would be about £950 for each car. An earlier posting talked about import duties, MOT etc. Does anyone have any idea of the all-in cost?

Hugh

bigAPE Mar 27th 2009 8:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie (Post 7425084)
i know we discussed this briefly before, but would you mind having a go at this one

These are the figures I have come up with based on a very rough Australian value of ~A$16,000. PLEASE keep in mind that this is a very rough estimate as almost all Range rovers here in Australia are of the 4.0L variety and almost all are the high end Vogue variant.

Just deduct a chunk from the shipping if you're planning on shipping it in your own container. On paper you would come out on top, but not by much and that margin could be a fantasy. Just because there are a few Range Rovers on the Used market here right now doesn't mean that they are selling. As with most countries in the world Australia is feeling the effects of a global financial crisis. What I have seen here are a lot of families ditching their large 4X4's and European sports cars to raise capital and this could easily be the driver behind the higher prices for this marque.

Al

Wanderlust Mar 27th 2009 8:53 pm

I think you'll be more likely to get good responses to this question if you started a new thread about it with a relevant title. This thread is supposed to be about the visa itself, not random shipping questions.
:)
I'm sure there are dozens of folk out there who could answer your question who never look at this thread.