Importing Cars

Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: take car or not...?

Originally Posted by stummo
Hi,

Finally got the job contract and now we are in the process of deciding what to take...we are moving to Brisbane in Nov and have to decide what container to get...

The main bone of contention is whether to take a car or not and I am hoping someone on here can settle the argument...We have a 2006 Subarau Outback 2.5 SE with 60miles on the clock - reasonable condition - I think believe the car to be worth £6k if I sold it now in the UK...I have just had a quote from the shippers of £3k for the doco and £3k to change from a 20foot container to a 40foot container..So I'm guessing the car will cost £6k + £6k value....so I think if I took it it would need to be worth more thank £12k or about $18k - does that sound about right?????

....so the question is is it worth taking or do I sell in the UK ?...any advise appreciated as I have no idea and neither does the missis

thanks in advance Stu
Your car is worth approx $18000-$19000 in NSW.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Druid
I am having the same thought, only difference is I have a car and two bikes, I know I can only take 1, well I decided to sell all three, I looked in the autotrader at prices, I looked up the value in Parkers and put all three up for sale at what I thought was a fair price, didnt get 1 call for anything, two weeks later ended up re-advertising but dropped the price by 500 quid on everything, I am a week into the advertising and once again nothing, I am going to end up giving them away, then get to Aus and get ripped off buying again, I wish I could take all three at this moment regardless of cost as its costing me a fortune to sell them taking into account I am having to sell them at substantially less than market value, has anyone in the UK tried to sell anything lately..................nothing is selling

We lost out on 1 car and 2 bikes ourselves - car sold in May and bikes sold in july, all to dealers after being on ebay, auto/biketrader at book price or slightly less for each and no luck.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Friends bought a 2004 Subaru Imprezza with them as his work was paying for shipping. They recently wrote it off and got $2000 from the insurance as that was all it was worth as an import
I think for all the Import friendly posters here, that this is very important. Not including all the extra costs you have, the Insurance value will be low and $2000 for a 2004 Imprezza is pitiful, considering you would have to fork out about 10k just for a shite second hand one here.
Second hand cars here are very expensive but imports are problematic, more so than in UK where I bought a few of them.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stummo
Hi,

Finally got the job contract and now we are in the process of deciding what to take...we are moving to Brisbane in Nov and have to decide what container to get...

The main bone of contention is whether to take a car or not and I am hoping someone on here can settle the argument...We have a 2006 Subarau Outback 2.5 SE with 60miles on the clock - reasonable condition - I think believe the car to be worth £6k if I sold it now in the UK...I have just had a quote from the shippers of £3k for the doco and £3k to change from a 20foot container to a 40foot container..So I'm guessing the car will cost £6k + £6k value....so I think if I took it it would need to be worth more thank £12k or about $18k - does that sound about right?????

....so the question is is it worth taking or do I sell in the UK ?...any advise appreciated as I have no idea and neither does the missis

thanks in advance Stu
We bought a 2007 Outback (2.5 Manual) last year in very good nick with 45,000km on the clock (roughly) for $26,000 with an RACQ inspection (private sale). Seemed a good deal at the time having scoured the ads for a few months (most were Autos and we wanted a Manual).

I don't know how this adds to you decision-making process but there's something to think about if you wanted to buy locally.

Have a look here: http://www.carsales.com.au/

As others have said, sometimes to hassle and cost outweighs a 'known quantity' if the vehicle is a mainstream model.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We bought a 2007 Outback (2.5 Manual) last year in very good nick with 45,000km on the clock (roughly) for $26,000 with an RACQ inspection (private sale). Seemed a good deal at the time having scoured the ads for a few months (most were Autos and we wanted a Manual).

I don't know how this adds to you decision-making process but there's something to think about if you wanted to buy locally.

Have a look here: http://www.carsales.com.au/

As others have said, sometimes to hassle and cost outweighs a 'known quantity' if the vehicle is a mainstream model.
Just came back from a small shopping trip, noticed a sale sign for a 1995 BMW 320i, Manual.....$9000!!!! WTF are these people on?? Plenty of ticket stubs gone so it will sell, but jeez.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Having gone 6 months without a car, fighting with my inner demons about the Oz prices compared to the rest of the world, I had to suck it up and buy.

Still ..... could have kept going renting a car every second weekend and saved a packet. Renting is dirt cheap but returning it by a set time was a hassle.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I am having the same thought, only difference is I have a car and two bikes, I know I can only take 1, well I decided to sell all three, I looked in the autotrader at prices, I looked up the value in Parkers and put all three up for sale at what I thought was a fair price, didnt get 1 call for anything, two weeks later ended up re-advertising but dropped the price by 500 quid on everything, I am a week into the advertising and once again nothing, I am going to end up giving them away, then get to Aus and get ripped off buying again, I wish I could take all three at this moment regardless of cost as its costing me a fortune to sell them taking into account I am having to sell them at substantially less than market value, has anyone in the UK tried to sell anything lately..................nothing is selling
Yep, when I came over I sold a 2001 Y reg new shape Corsa in 2008 and I got 500 quid for it. Then I got here and paid $5k for a 2001 Suzuki Jimny (yeah I know FFS) and that was cheap off eBay. That Jimny would have been worth less than 500 quid in the UK. But once you've bought at the higher price you then sell for a higher price. It's all relative you just have more of your money tied up in a car.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Friends bought a 2004 Subaru Imprezza with them as his work was paying for shipping. They recently wrote it off and got $2000 from the insurance as that was all it was worth as an import
Just out of interest, what would have insurance in the UK paid out for it?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Bottom book value no doubt, Subaru Impreza 2L GX manual listing on Parkers for 1200 Quid = 1800AUD, he did well to get 2000AUD from the insurance
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Dunno, but if it had been an Aussie one rather than an import it would have been worth closer to $20k for the same year and mileage which shows how much lower an import is valued here.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Importing Cars

I have read all the threads on this subject and have decided I'm taking my car to Aus, we cant make the numbers add up, things are worth nothing in the UK and nothing is selling, if I had a choice I would be taking 2 cars and two bikes, but unfortunately I can only get one permit.

We leave for Perth in December with the car if the permit comes through, in preperation I need the following help / advice.

With regard to the valuation that everyone talks about, are we talking Parkers Guide / Red Book / Glasses Guide online valuations or are we talking Official Aussi Govt Approved valuations, if so can someone point me in the right direction for getting a valuation.

Next problem, who in Perth is authorised to inspect and sign off that the vehicle complies with ADR's

Final problem, where do I get the import plate from once my vehicle has been signed off.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I have read all the threads on this subject and have decided I'm taking my car to Aus, we cant make the numbers add up, things are worth nothing in the UK and nothing is selling, if I had a choice I would be taking 2 cars and two bikes, but unfortunately I can only get one permit.

We leave for Perth in December with the car if the permit comes through, in preperation I need the following help / advice.

With regard to the valuation that everyone talks about, are we talking Parkers Guide / Red Book / Glasses Guide online valuations or are we talking Official Aussi Govt Approved valuations, if so can someone point me in the right direction for getting a valuation.

Next problem, who in Perth is authorised to inspect and sign off that the vehicle complies with ADR's

Final problem, where do I get the import plate from once my vehicle has been signed off.

Thanks in advance

Our shipping company recommended a contact on this side who took care of everything - the valuation, roadworthy, ADR, import plate, number plates etc...

I just paid money at each stage and then collected my car one day.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our shipping company recommended a contact on this side who took care of everything - the valuation, roadworthy, ADR, import plate, number plates etc...

I just paid money at each stage and then collected my car one day.
So give me clue then
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:35 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

So give me clue then
Think of a number
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulry
Think of a number
2, (can you guess what it is yet)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.