Importing a car

Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:43 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a car

I have had two quotes one for £1800.00 and one for £1500.00, they can pack your furniture etc over and around you car in one container.[/QUOTE]

Hi there, any chance of you letting me know who you got the quotes off? We had a quote off Brittania and they've quoted £2502 which takes 34 days or 2352 taking 50 days, for car with furniture around it. We don't mind if it takes longer.
Also did the quotes include any form of tax be it this end or that, ours includes more or less everything, just need to add duty taxes on everything in container.
Cheers, Marie
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
I have had two quotes one for £1800.00 and one for £1500.00, they can pack your furniture etc over and around you car in one container.

Hi there, any chance of you letting me know who you got the quotes off? We had a quote off Brittania and they've quoted £2502 which takes 34 days or 2352 taking 50 days, for car with furniture around it. We don't mind if it takes longer.
Also did the quotes include any form of tax be it this end or that, ours includes more or less everything, just need to add duty taxes on everything in container.
Cheers, Marie[/QUOTE]

PSS quote £1500 for car only, packing furniture around was extra, still waiting for how much the "Extra" charge is, no duty or taxes include, sole use container 30 days
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I looked into importing our VW Golf last week - my advice...don't bother.

Unless your car holds real sentimental value, is a vintage car or is a rare car it's so expensive.

To give you an example, you have to pay 15% of the car value (forget about depreciation - it doesn't come into it!)

You then get taxed 10% on the shipping and insurance of getting the car into the country, and that's before you've hired a container!!

All in all, to take our Golf to Oz, it would have cost in the region of £6,000. Considering we'd only sell it now for £9,000!! Just ain't worth it.

Oz is trying to clamp down on personal car imports and you now have to get clearance before shipping (which means loads of forms). You then have to think about higher insurance, the possibility of not getting right parts, etc.

There is a website which explains it all a bit better than I have. If I can find it I'll post it up later.

Rob

christ!! i got Golf V6 3.0 engine which I really really really want to take but by looks of it gonna cost small fortune. thats just nuts.

have you any idea of cost in Oz to buy new?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:42 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Druid
Cheers, Marie
PSS quote £1500 for car only, packing furniture around was extra, still waiting for how much the "Extra" charge is, no duty or taxes include, sole use container 30 days[/QUOTE]

Hi, sorry it's taking ages for me to reply at mo, just got back off hols now working 6 days a week to pay for it, I'm catching up surely but slowly and hopefully next week when I get a day off again I'll catch up and be back on form.
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa I can't find my yellow pages which is where I wrote all the quotes, Libby (my little girl) must've hidden it or I've just put it somewhere safe and now can't find that place. Huby can't find it either.
For now I'm gonna leave this link in my inbox so it bugs me everytime I check my emails, so bear with me and all will be revealed soon.
Sorry but I will find the damn thing.
However I can tell you that the company is based in or around Sheffield as we phoned all the companys in yellow pages and I have a feeling that the company is Sheffield area based.
Marie