Reload this Page >

Immegration & Kidneys!

Immegration & Kidneys!

Old May 4th 2003, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

fenris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Immegration & Kidneys!

Hi Folks,

Got a bit of a problem that I'm hoping to get some advice on.

My partner and I are currently going through the process of Skilled Immegration, getting all the documentation ready for assessment. The skills assessment will be on myself.

My partner is diabetic, although we've been informed that this isn't too much of a problem. The problem is that she has just been very ill with something not related to her diabetes. She's just recovering from a kidney infection that caused complete Kidney failure.

After 5 weeks in hospital she now out and on the mend (touch wood). Her kidneys are now working again and she doesn't need to under-go any operations for kidney replacement or any further dialysis. Of course the doctors can't say 100% that she'll never need either of these options.

As you can imagine whilst this was happening I put the application on hold.

What I'm wondering is, is it worth carrying on with the application or will what's happened put the chances of a successful application below zero!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Fen.
Old May 4th 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

barny rubble will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up diabetic

i there sorry to here about the wife mate, i am also diabetic and dont let put u off just go for it u only die once.
Old May 5th 2003, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt it will be a problem, I am also Diabetic and had no problems getting a visa, for more info on Diabetes Australia take a look at.

http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/medical.php

This is my site so if anyone has any useful links I will add them.
Old May 5th 2003, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

fenris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Many thanks for the responses.

It's not actually the diabetes that might case the problem - It's the kidney failure and the unknown chance that it might happen again.

Fen.
Old May 6th 2003, 6:17 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, I saw the title of this thread and thought is was about the 'in flight meals'. I'll keep out of this one.
Old May 6th 2003, 9:17 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immegration & Kidneys!

Hi Fen

The general rule with the medical is that they are looking to see if you will cost the Australian health services an unreasonable amount on an ongoing basis (I think it's more than $16000 a year) If the asessment is that you wont, then you will pass the medical.

The fact that your wife is diabetic will almost certainly not be a problem. I know of several diabetics who have got in. They do not expect you to never have been ill. The kidney problem sounds like a one-off. It's very unfortunate that she fell ill around the time of your application, which makes it seem all the more relevant, but to put it into perspective, if it had happened 5 years ago, you probably wouldn't be worried about it now. The chances are, they will look at it like that.

I would definately say go ahead with your application. As someone who got very stressed about the medical, I can honestly say it's not as big a hurdle as you might expect. The very best of luck to you.

Andy

Originally posted by fenris
Hi Folks,

Got a bit of a problem that I'm hoping to get some advice on.

My partner and I are currently going through the process of Skilled Immegration, getting all the documentation ready for assessment. The skills assessment will be on myself.

My partner is diabetic, although we've been informed that this isn't too much of a problem. The problem is that she has just been very ill with something not related to her diabetes. She's just recovering from a kidney infection that caused complete Kidney failure.

After 5 weeks in hospital she now out and on the mend (touch wood). Her kidneys are now working again and she doesn't need to under-go any operations for kidney replacement or any further dialysis. Of course the doctors can't say 100% that she'll never need either of these options.

As you can imagine whilst this was happening I put the application on hold.

What I'm wondering is, is it worth carrying on with the application or will what's happened put the chances of a successful application below zero!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Fen.
Old May 6th 2003, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

tractorboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Andy. Where did you find this out ?