Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Im scared of emigrating........

Im scared of emigrating........

Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice
Default Im scared of emigrating........

My name is Tara, and i am a 17 year old in my last year of 6th form college studying my A levels. My family are currently in the process of emigrating to Perth and have passed their TRA, have been assigned to a case officer and are currently waiting for our visas to be granted.
My problem is, as much as I want to go, i am very scared due to firstly, leaving my boyfriend behind, and secondly leaving my friends and the life i have become accustomed to. My family have been really good about it and have said that they would never go without me, but the thing is, I do want to go but every now and then I start to get negative thoughts. I would love to get to chat with people my own age who are in the same situation as myself. i feel that if I could chat to people and maybe arrange to meet up for a coffee when we get there, I would feel that at least I know someone there and maybe this will make the thought of going a lot easier.
Would be great to hear from anyone and for any reassurance from people my own age who are already there and love it.
Look forward to any replys.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Im scared of emigrating........

Originally Posted by martin36-1
My name is Tara, and i am a 17 year old in my last year of 6th form college studying my A levels. My family are currently in the process of emigrating to Perth and have passed their TRA, have been assigned to a case officer and are currently waiting for our visas to be granted.
My problem is, as much as I want to go, i am very scared due to firstly, leaving my boyfriend behind, and secondly leaving my friends and the life i have become accustomed to. My family have been really good about it and have said that they would never go without me, but the thing is, I do want to go but every now and then I start to get negative thoughts. I would love to get to chat with people my own age who are in the same situation as myself. i feel that if I could chat to people and maybe arrange to meet up for a coffee when we get there, I would feel that at least I know someone there and maybe this will make the thought of going a lot easier.
Would be great to hear from anyone and for any reassurance from people my own age who are already there and love it.
Look forward to any replys.
Hi Tara, although I am not your age (oh to be seventeen again) I would just like to say what a great attitude you have. It is really hard for most people, regardless of their age. I am sure that you will meet plenty of new friends and would just like to wish you lots of luck.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

dondotone will become famous soon enoughdondotone will become famous soon enough

Hi Tara,

I agree with Grahampaula's post you do have a good attitude and you will def be popular. You are obviously outgoing/willing to meet others. Have your parents considered going to a local meet maybe there will be others with kids your age. Go to the meetups part of the BE forum and see if there is anything going on near you. Or put out a thread on the meetup forum to arrange something. Good luck (but I don't think you will need it).
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I agree you seam really nice.

Maybe have a write down what the plus and negatives are for going. The good bits will remind you why you want to go.

Other thing is 17 is a wonderful age. Get out and see life. I left home at 17 (not saying you should) but moved out of my area was scared too. But hey, I had a ball. Im also more adventures than my sisters who stayed in one place.
Now living in Europe and next step is Aus hopefully.

Go to Aus and you will have a whole new adventure. Doing it a 17 will enrich your life. Most adults on here will probably say they wish they had done it years earlier!

But talk over your fears with your parents. They will understand, they are probably as scared as you!!

Good Luck
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

CASPER99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tara

I just wanted to wish you luck.

Why dont you see what happens and just go with the flow. If you dont like it then at least you will have tried it without too many ifs and buts and also if you decide after a couple of years that you cant live without your family or if you and boyfriend break up then I think it gets harder for you to get a visa (not sure how old you have to be to have your own visa when it is no longer possible).

And also, you seem like the caring type, at least it will give your parents the attitude that ok, she tried it but she didnt like it.

We are thinking about emigrating with hubby and 2 kids age 6 and 8 (and also want parents to come to) and I change my mind every half an hour (well maybe a slight exagerration! (every hour teehee) I am sure even if you didnt have the boyfriend you would still feel apprehensive, this is just normal.

I hope that helps
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your replies. my dad told me about this website and I cannot believe how quick people have answered some of my questions. It makes it a bit less stressful when other people are supporting you.
Once again , many thanks.
p.s. I was 18 last week, so stressed out , I even forgot that small point although I had a great party x
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday for last week

I reckon that although many of us will be older than you we will be sharing many of the same apprehensions, I know I do sometimes! My niece emigrated to Brisbane about 4 years ago, she is your age now, and although she found some things difficult to begin with she persevered and when I asked her how she felt about it a couple of months ago she said she wouldn't change it for the world, and that she wouldn't want to go back to living in England now.

I agree with the others - you have a great attitude and I am positive that will help you to fit in easily and quickly. I hope Perth is everything you hope for and more!

Suzi
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:13 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a group of people your age who arrange nights out here in Perth. They post a lot on the pomsinperth site. They also use myspace. Have a look, maybe you can contact them and have a new group of friends by the time you get there!
Good luck
Tracey
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tara

Not sure if you've seen this but it may be worth a look! The Youth Club:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:10 pm
x-Wanna Be In Aussiland-x

samonster will become famous soon enough

Hi Tara, i'm sam n im 17. My family are going through the exact same process as you are at the minute. We've got our medical checks in less than a week. I know exactly what you mean about being scared of moving because of your friends and boyfriend. I thought about that non stop to begin with, but at the end of the day we're only 17/18 and we will make new friends. Even if you just tried living over there for a year or so and see what it's really like, at least you would have tried it.
You can keep in contact with your friends in england over the net too, when i was on holiday in perth for a month i was always emailing my friends lol, so you wouldn't just forget them and never talk to them. Just give it a go i'm sure it'll be worth it.
..x.. Samonster ..x..

Last edited by samonster; Mar 13th 2007 at 9:16 pm.