Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I'm missing the UK but nothing a quick visit wouldn't fix. One problem

I'm missing the UK but nothing a quick visit wouldn't fix. One problem

Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default I'm missing the UK but nothing a quick visit wouldn't fix. One problem

Flights will cost us about $10k plus everything else whilst we are there.

I just feel I need to feel the UK culture for all it is just for a week or two. I guess this might be what people call homesickness. I'm missing the relationships we had in UK. The humour and the buzz.

We are in WA so perhaps a trip to Melbourne would help lift us and be cheaper.

Could all this be pregnancy hormones. Maybe. Guests are not coming now until next year. My little kids are talking about wanting a sleep over at Nanny Skypes house and if she is coming to their birthday party.

I hope this passes because it is really starting to concern me and feeling a bit trapped by the move. Mainly because we can't really afford to move back even if we wanted to. Has anyone thought about five year exit plans without going back to see UK.

Not sure how deep this feeling goes. If it is just a need to visit fix. Appreciate any thoughts
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm missing the UK but nothing a quick visit wouldn't fix. One problem

Not knowing you or your history but I'd say hormones are messing with your head. Don't know that a trip to Melbourne would help, it's not Britain Don't think you want to be travelling all the way the UK whilst pregnant do you? It's a bad enough trip without the extra issues of pregnancy imo. No real advice unless a quick visit to a British Shop and a packet of Walkers crisps would help

Hope you feel more 'normal' soon though. It's a tough one.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'm missing the UK but nothing a quick visit wouldn't fix. One problem

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

I just feel I need to feel the UK culture for all it is just for a week or two. I guess this might be what people call homesickness. I'm missing the relationships we had in UK. The humour and the buzz.

Could all this be pregnancy hormones. Maybe. Guests are not coming now until next year. My little kids are talking about wanting a sleep over at Nanny Skypes house and if she is coming to their birthday party.

I hope this passes because it is really starting to concern me and feeling a bit trapped by the move. Mainly because we can't really afford to move back even if we wanted to. Has anyone thought about five year exit plans without going back to see UK.

Not sure how deep this feeling goes. If it is just a need to visit fix. Appreciate any thoughts
(((((((((((((PoppetUK)))))))))))

Homesickness is natural- plus the pregnancy hormones- it's a real rollercoster. I really hope you feel better soon. Don't know how far you are along in your pregnancy, to be able to recommend if it's a good idea to visit. How long are your relatives coming out for next year?

For your children: there is an article on this site- I really think the sweetie one sounds good for little ones. http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...andparenting-/

Sorry, not much help, just hope things get better for you.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:14 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

hi dont make any rash decisions while you're pregnant my sister emigrated, got pregnant then felt really homesick and returned home only to regret it now.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I think you are homesick! It tends to come in waves, and is very hard. if you can afford the $10 and it will ease your mind Id go for it, Ive been back twice and it has always helped, and also looking forward to visitors so you don't get that "trapped" feeling.

Look after yourself!! Its all normal!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been here?
hormones do funny things..... I had PND after the birth of DD, one of the main reasons was feeling guilty because some family would probably never meet her (mainly my nan who is in her 80s).

I've booked a month's visit next May, DD will be nearly two. It's taken me time to get my head right, if I'd gone back sooner I really think I'd have found it too hard to come back purely from missing people....

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait... give yourself time to have your baby and get your head back to normal before you go.

JMHO
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not knowing you or your history but I'd say hormones are messing with your head. Don't know that a trip to Melbourne would help, it's not Britain Don't think you want to be travelling all the way the UK whilst pregnant do you? It's a bad enough trip without the extra issues of pregnancy imo. No real advice unless a quick visit to a British Shop and a packet of Walkers crisps would help

Hope you feel more 'normal' soon though. It's a tough one.
I haven't read all the responses yet but you know I've download so much UK tv this past week I've used up all my broadband allowance. If it wasn't for the fact that I go too cold I was half way down the Mandurah Foreshore to buy some strawberry bon bons from the British shop

I know some of it is hormones which thankfully I am laughing at but I have some more long term issues that I can't get my head around. Perhaps because I can also see hubby is not 100% settled yet.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
(((((((((((((PoppetUK)))))))))))

Homesickness is natural- plus the pregnancy hormones- it's a real rollercoster. I really hope you feel better soon. Don't know how far you are along in your pregnancy, to be able to recommend if it's a good idea to visit. How long are your relatives coming out for next year?

For your children: there is an article on this site- I really think the sweetie one sounds good for little ones. http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...andparenting-/

Sorry, not much help, just hope things get better for you.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be able to go back to the UK and obviously wouldn't before baby was born next April because that would be crazy but part of me wants to make a decision before a trip to save all the expense. Besides finding a spare 15-18k for the trip is not easy ahhhhhhh!!!

We are in a bit of a dilemma because hubby was trying to get on a uni course that would help him have more long term employment options but has hit a brick wall which has made me question what employment options there would be for him here. Before anyone says did you not look into this before we came. Yes and no. Hubby's work had come to an end in the UK and a job offer was on the table in Perth so it was more that we saw this as our chance to give it a go and see for ourselves. I don't regret that decision but want to make sure we think about our next move carefully.

I haven't a clue how we could have afforded to finish hubby's masters / phd in the UK but we are surprised at how the education system in the UK is so different. Hubby could get on a post graduate course in the UK but struggling like hell to get on the exact same course here.

Life goes on. I am feeling better for just putting it out there anyhow. It's helping with the processing!!!!

Thanks again
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazynconfused
hi dont make any rash decisions while you're pregnant my sister emigrated, got pregnant then felt really homesick and returned home only to regret it now.
Thanks.

Makes sense. Visited for validation whilst pregnant and hated the damn place but thankfully realised it was hormones more than anything else. We had to validate at that time as well.

Funny about the topic of hormones. The bit that worries me is that I know from have 2 kids already mine don't settle down until I finish breast feeding with is normally around the year old mark. Which is a long way off!!!! Hubby reminded me the other day that he's waiting for the massive out burst I am scheduled to have He recalled the moment I lost the plot with him and ordered him to stop the car on a busy 2 lane road in Croydon Town Centre. I slammed the door of this little Citreon AX it was lucky it stayed on it's hinges. We look back and laugh. There was practically a similar story in my second pregnancy. I am never normally like this at all in any shape or form!!!! At least we laugh at it now.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks.

Makes sense. Visited for validation whilst pregnant and hated the damn place but thankfully realised it was hormones more than anything else. We had to validate at that time as well.

Funny about the topic of hormones. The bit that worries me is that I know from have 2 kids already mine don't settle down until I finish breast feeding with is normally around the year old mark. Which is a long way off!!!! Hubby reminded me the other day that he's waiting for the massive out burst I am scheduled to have He recalled the moment I lost the plot with him and ordered him to stop the car on a busy 2 lane road in Croydon Town Centre. I slammed the door of this little Citreon AX it was lucky it stayed on it's hinges. We look back and laugh. There was practically a similar story in my second pregnancy. I am never normally like this at all in any shape or form!!!! At least we laugh at it now.
Oh boy it must be coming to. Warnbro Station. No eftpos or add value point. What on earth is that all about. Tried to buy a ticket so I could make a hospital appointment and just get on the train. I was feeling sooooo angry about it. I was praying the ticket man didn't get too agressive with me otherwise I think I would have let rip.

I was in the post office this morning and commented that cards should all be one price because I was 4g over the $1 stamp. Realised I sounded like a super prat I explained that my hormones were a bit funny and it's my husband they should feel sorry for. At least I am catching myself a bit with it at the moment!!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bridie
How long have you been here?
hormones do funny things..... I had PND after the birth of DD, one of the main reasons was feeling guilty because some family would probably never meet her (mainly my nan who is in her 80s).

I've booked a month's visit next May, DD will be nearly two. It's taken me time to get my head right, if I'd gone back sooner I really think I'd have found it too hard to come back purely from missing people....

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait... give yourself time to have your baby and get your head back to normal before you go.

JMHO
Wow how exciting. Glad you managed to sort recognise all your symptoms and process it.

Very honest.

Have a fantastic trip.

Poppet
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a feasible option for just you to go back for a week or so? Just to get a quick fix? DOn't know if thats do-able from the point of view of looking after the kids while you're away though
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

I felt really homesick when I was pregnant esp in the first few months - soon passed after the birth. My advice would be not to make any rash decisions.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:40 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Thanks.

ha thats pregnancy for you so even if you were over here in the uk you would still be feeling the same but just maybe over different things, so , although I think you may be a little homesick the hormones are making it seem a much bigger thing. When I was pregnant I used to have some weird dreams and nightmares and I used to get really jumpy in the early days. hope you feel better believe me you dont want to be back here in the cold I have just bought my first can of de-icer boohoo. I hate scraping ice off the car every morning. Try and keep a focus on all the bad things you left uk for. keep your chin up and good luck

Last edited by crazynconfused; Nov 5th 2008 at 7:43 pm. Reason: so many typing errors