IKea??

Old May 11th 2008, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

chazndawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IKea??

Hi again

do we go on spending spree in IKEA over here or wait until we get to Australia??
Are prices in Australias IKEAS comparable with our IKEA'S in the UK?

ChaznDawn
Old May 11th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice
Default Re: IKea??

Originally Posted by chazndawn
Hi again

do we go on spending spree in IKEA over here or wait until we get to Australia??

ChaznDawn
Check them out, i think they're similar in prices http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/news/range/

Maria
Old May 11th 2008, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Check them out here Only thing is, if you are coming to Canberra, we dont have an Ikea. Personally I would be buying stuff here rather than carting it across the world. We have other options as well, check out Fantastic Furniture packages
Old May 11th 2008, 11:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

ChaznDawn
Same tat. Same prices.
Perth now has the biggest Ikea in the Southern Hemisphere, so if you are coming here you'll be happy.
Old May 11th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

If you have space in your container I would say fill it. If not, if IKEA is your thing then buying here would be cheap. It appears to me that its dollar price for Pound. I got chair in UK 199 sterling, here $199.

T
Old May 12th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I certainly wouldn't buy from Ikea in the UK then pay to ship it. Save the shipping costs and get better stuff here! Ikea here (Sydney) seems pretty much the same as the UK, but you can get lots of better quality stuff too for not much more. The Australians are BIG on sales and bargains! I did a couple of trips to Ikea when we arrived for pots and pans/crockery/cutlery etc. as it's convenient with the intention of replacing it with better stuff over time.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't expect to find an Ikea in every town, will you? 3 in the whole of Australia, I think.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Don't expect to find an Ikea in every town, will you? 3 in the whole of Australia, I think.
There's actually five . Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Once upon a time there were three in Sydney alone, but they closed all the smaller ones and opened one whopping big one.

I believe I did read somewhere recently that Ikea are planning on a big expansion in the next few years.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
There's actually five . Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Once upon a time there were three in Sydney alone, but they closed all the smaller ones and opened one whopping big one.

I believe I did read somewhere recently that Ikea are planning on a big expansion in the next few years.
Yes a second one is planned in Melbourne, in Clayton.

The one in Richmond, Melbourne is EXACTLY the same as one in Brent Cross, London, I was most surprised when I walked outside not to be looking at the North Circular Road.

Buzzy
Old May 12th 2008, 10:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected, Nicky the catalogue and website must be out of date.

I remember living in Leeds and the nearest one being at Warrington until they opened Leeds itself. Tiny Singapore has two - and one celebrated 25 years a few years ago.

Ikea is a place we all love to hate and, when we moved to Sg, I said I was never setting foot in one - "that's a cop out, I will shop local". Admirable.

Before we even left the hotel I'd been and bought a kitchen starter kit, clothes rails, life's little essentials. We landed in Sydney at 7am the other week, and we were at Homebush by 5pm I think.

When you arrive in a strange land, it's just quick and easy to head for a place like that. At least here there are alternatives - I'm finding my way to Freedom Furniture soon - whereas in Singapore there are no DIY shops, no B&Q, Bunnings, that kind of thing because almost nobody does DIY. I even bought my wood from Ikea.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:25 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Just go to the website - ikea.com.au. It has all the prices and locations so you can work out if you think it's cheaper. It's the same stuff as you can get in the UK anyway, pretty much.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Yeah, I agree. Decide what you want then compare prices with ikea au and ikea uk. We were going to bring our malm bedside tables and set of 6 drawers but decided they were so cheap in ikea 150 pounds for the lot, that rather than paying for shipping we would buy them again in the Logan store in qld. Problem was, when we got here the 25 pound each bedside drawers were $100 and the 100 pound 6 drawer unit was nearly $400. I was annoyed at paying double and out of principal refused to buy them here. I waited until I saw them in the clearance/damaged section, which does tend to have a lot of stuff if you go early.

So our experience is that things are more expensive in ikea here. We also bought a large shelving unit that is $400 here and when I looked online at the ikea in UK it was 120 pounds. I've found items double the cost here but perhaps it depends what you are after as from what others have said they have found it the same price or cheaper. I'd definitely check out both sites though. I wish I'd brought stuff flat packed and shipped it still in its box but then I suppose you could have problems with customs at this end as everything you bring you are supposed to have had over a year or pay tax on it.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I stand corrected, Nicky the catalogue and website must be out of date.

I remember living in Leeds and the nearest one being at Warrington until they opened Leeds itself. Tiny Singapore has two - and one celebrated 25 years a few years ago.

Ikea is a place we all love to hate and, when we moved to Sg, I said I was never setting foot in one - "that's a cop out, I will shop local". Admirable.

Before we even left the hotel I'd been and bought a kitchen starter kit, clothes rails, life's little essentials. We landed in Sydney at 7am the other week, and we were at Homebush by 5pm I think.

When you arrive in a strange land, it's just quick and easy to head for a place like that. At least here there are alternatives - I'm finding my way to Freedom Furniture soon - whereas in Singapore there are no DIY shops, no B&Q, Bunnings, that kind of thing because almost nobody does DIY. I even bought my wood from Ikea.
I think that the Perth and Adelaide Ikeas operate under a different arrangement to the other three. I know that when you go to the official Ikea website you only get info about the Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne stores. The other two have a different seperate website - they're possibly a franchise or owned by a different bit of Ikea.

We had a smallish Ikea down the road at Moore Park until a couple of years ago. I hated the place and the way you have to walk a couple of K, past very slow-moving people, once you're in there, in order to get out. However, I bit the bullet and recently put an Ikea kitchen into an investment flat. Have to say I was very impressed - certainly get value for money.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:12 am
Auntie Fa

In Singapore, where the govt tells everyone what to do about virtually everything, and people are used to obeying orders and not thinking for themselves, you can really mess with folks' minds if you go round Ikea the wrong way.

Ikea in Sg is run by another company, as is M&S, so your explanation sounds feasible.

(Sorry if I sound bitter about the place now I have left - I'm not at all, still love it and it was a hard decision to leave, but it sure does have its quirks.)
Old May 13th 2008, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi again

ChaznDawn
Careful, it's not open Sundays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.