IguanaGate

Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default IguanaGate

Can someone explain to me how Della Bosca and Neal can "exercise their rights to refuse to be interviewed by the police" with reference to the Iguanagate affair?

Does this mean that if I'm suspected of say murder I can exercise my right not to be interviewed?

I'm puzzled.....
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IguanaGate

Originally Posted by Wol

Does this mean that if I'm suspected of say murder I can exercise my right not to be interviewed?
If the police choose not to arrest you, as in this case, then yes you can.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

In that case I'm not saying anything about any murder.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Can someone explain to me how Della Bosca and Neal can "exercise their rights to refuse to be interviewed by the police" with reference to the Iguanagate affair?

I'm puzzled.....
Until someone has been arrested then they have the right to exercise that right, same as the UK. Then, the plod tend to say, 'ok then, we arrest you!'.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know you have the right to remain silent, but surely you cannot refuse even to *meet* with the police?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I know you have the right to remain silent, but surely you cannot refuse even to *meet* with the police?
You still need to be arrested first before they can make you 'meet' with.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:47 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You still need to be arrested first before they can make you 'meet' with.
Before then you can also be "assisting Police with their enquiries".
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I'm puzzled.....
She's a lawyer and knows how to play the game. unfortunately the law doesn't legislate for stupidity - and neither can she
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
She's a lawyer and knows how to play the game. unfortunately the law doesn't legislate for stupidity - and neither can she
I actually drove past the Iguana waterfront club today, boy are they doing well out of all this!! Nice area too, Gosford and Woy Woy.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:46 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I actually drove past the Iguana waterfront club today, boy are they doing well out of all this!! Nice area too, Gosford and Woy Woy.
You know what they say - bad publicity is better than no publicity
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You know what they say - bad publicity is better than no publicity
exactement mon brave!! Unless of course you are an MP, in which case it usually signals the end of your career!! In this case I certainly hope so!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:55 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep lovely isnt it - we were there for new years eve.

Wish I was there for igunagate too - bet it was a right laugh!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:56 am

exactement mon brave!! Unless of course you are an MP, in which case it usually signals the end of your career!! In this case I certainly hope so!
You're joking. That's what makes a politician
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

If it's anything like the UK, then some offences will not carry a power of arrest with them, or may only be arrestable if 'found committing'. Examples in UK law include most traffic offences, minor public order offences and some deception offences.

In these cases, the Police are required to interview you, but it is entirely voluntary, and you can decline to be questioned. If this is the case, and you are in jeaopardy of being prosecuted, then you can be reported for summons (not sure what the Australian equivalent is) and the paperwork will be sent off to the court. the fact that you declined to be interviewed often goes against you, as the jury/magistrates can make an inference as to why you decided not to give your story at the time you had the opportunity to do so. So if you declined to be interviewed about a minor traffic offence, then come up with some fantastic story in court for your defence, the magistrates can effectively choose to ignore your court based testimony.

So in essence, it may well go against them if they have declined to be interviewed.

Does that make any sense?

S