Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in melbourne when first arrive??

Where to live in melbourne when first arrive??

Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in melbourne when first arrive??

Hi everyone
Can anybody help me with this little problem?
I hear that renting before we arrive is near on impossible, so we obviously need somewhere to live (Me, better half, 4 kids under 7).
One choice seems to be the Big4 camps (ok but seems a bit steep money wise), does anybody know of any cheap family orientated properties that will cater for this dilemma.
It should hopefully only be for a couple of weeks until we can find rented accommodation (or am i being optimistic that i will find somewhere & get all paperwork sorted in 2 weeks).
Thanks in advance
Stuart
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:11 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to live in melbourne when first arrive??

Stuart you could try contacting Andy through this site.

http://www.accommodate-oz.com.au/

He is also an Ex Pat and knows how difficult the move is, he can also help by picking you up at the airport & taking you to the accomodation.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that,
Just looked at link & he seems to be Mornington only, we would like something closer to the centre of Melbourne (within 3/4 hr anyway).
Thanks for your help anyway.
Anyone else got any ideas!!
Cheers
Stuart
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pinny
Cheers for that,
Just looked at link & he seems to be Mornington only, we would like something closer to the centre of Melbourne (within 3/4 hr anyway).
Thanks for your help anyway.
Anyone else got any ideas!!
Cheers
Stuart
we're going with www.australianhomeaway.com.au when we first arrive. They have quite a few family oriented places and have been very good for al the booking.

I'd book for longer than 2 weeks as aparently vacancy rates in Melbourne are currently at about 1% so it will not be esay to find somewhere.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hereshoping
we're going with www.australianhomeaway.com.au when we first arrive. They have quite a few family oriented places and have been very good for al the booking.

I'd book for longer than 2 weeks as aparently vacancy rates in Melbourne are currently at about 1% so it will not be esay to find somewhere.
Hi
Thanks, i have looked at link & that looks perfect, cheers.
Any one else got any other options?
Stuart
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hereshoping

hi

id just like to say thats bull.

If youve got the cash and you are prepared with photocopies of refs, photo id's and any financial paperwork saying youve got money and can pay - couple with(if you can) offering 6 months rent in advance then you are well ahead of everyone.

If you dont have previous lanlords refs as you owned then put that in your application.

Generally the estate agent gets the apps in(pretty quiick usually the same day off people(fill them in in trhe car, then go to office with pre photocopied documents and hand in)

Then they give an assesment of the top ones to the landlord and get back to you a few days later.

We looked at 70 properties in a week drive by and then went to open house or made appointments of the ones we liked. This was just in one area so there are plenty out there.

Id recommend point cook or caroline springs, tarneit,hoppers crossing and werribee for large families as there are lots of new builds going up there of massive houses and because the area hasnt caught on yet as its in the west v(point cook is the same distance out of town as elwood or brighton next to st.kilda) all the others mentioned are ia bit more inland but are cheap as chips for a new property.

Most have trains nearby and buses and ther own shops on new estates.

Worth a look.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Thanks, i have looked at link & that looks perfect, cheers.
Any one else got any other options?
Stuart

I dont know any options for short term but for long term try point cook for decent new houses 20 mins drive from city and 5 mins to beach. Cinema complex being built there at the moment and an aldi coles and kmart as well as shopping centre

have a look on www.realestate.com.au

for rental tryt www.stayz.com.au

or you may be lucky on www.gumtree.com.au and click on melbourne, this is like loot in ther uk

alll the best

al
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
hi

If youve got the cash and you are prepared with photocopies of refs, photo id's and any financial paperwork saying youve got money and can pay - couple with(if you can) offering 6 months rent in advance then you are well ahead of everyone.

If you dont have previous lanlords refs as you owned then put that in your application.

Generally the estate agent gets the apps in(pretty quiick usually the same day off people(fill them in in trhe car, then go to office with pre photocopied documents and hand in)

Then they give an assesment of the top ones to the landlord and get back to you a few days later.

We looked at 70 properties in a week drive by and then went to open house or made appointments of the ones we liked. This was just in one area so there are plenty out there.

Id recommend point cook or caroline springs, tarneit,hoppers crossing and werribee for large families as there are lots of new builds going up there of massive houses and because the area hasnt caught on yet as its in the west v(point cook is the same distance out of town as elwood or brighton next to st.kilda) all the others mentioned are ia bit more inland but are cheap as chips for a new property.

Most have trains nearby and buses and ther own shops on new estates.

Worth a look.

Sounds a good option, i have heard that the north & West are cheaper but i don't want to risk living in a bad area (not saying that they are!), any ideas on how good schools & how bad crime rates are in those areas?
I am only thinking of holiday homes for the first couple of weeks because sorting out renting with 4 kids & luggage in tow would be a living hell!
Need a place to go straight off the plane (to collapse mainly), dump everything, rent a car & look around for area to rent.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds a good option, i have heard that the north & West are cheaper but i don't want to risk living in a bad area (not saying that they are!), any ideas on how good schools & how bad crime rates are in those areas?
I am only thinking of holiday homes for the first couple of weeks because sorting out renting with 4 kids & luggage in tow would be a living hell!
Need a place to go straight off the plane (to collapse mainly), dump everything, rent a car & look around for area to rent.

ALL BRAND NEW ESTATES.

nO CRIME RATE AS EVERYONE HAS KIDS AND LIVES IN WHAT OTHERS CONSIDER THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE but its only 20 mins out of the city.

Schools are purpose built and less than 10- years old. Lovely areas and not rough at all

sorry for shouting caps lock on LOL

will your kids share a room like a twin or do you want a family room.

whats your budget per week?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Can anybody help me with this little problem?
I hear that renting before we arrive is near on impossible, so we obviously need somewhere to live (Me, better half, 4 kids under 7).
One choice seems to be the Big4 camps (ok but seems a bit steep money wise), does anybody know of any cheap family orientated properties that will cater for this dilemma.
It should hopefully only be for a couple of weeks until we can find rented accommodation (or am i being optimistic that i will find somewhere & get all paperwork sorted in 2 weeks).
Thanks in advance
Stuart
Hoppers crossing, Werribee???? Easy to get into CBD by train and affordable housing
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

hi

what would you suggest to do if you've lived with parents until you emmigrate, thats the position i believe i'll still be in so i can maaximise the money i can bring over
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

ALL BRAND NEW ESTATES.

nO CRIME RATE AS EVERYONE HAS KIDS AND LIVES IN WHAT OTHERS CONSIDER THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE but its only 20 mins out of the city.

Schools are purpose built and less than 10- years old. Lovely areas and not rough at all

sorry for shouting caps lock on LOL

will your kids share a room like a twin or do you want a family room.

whats your budget per week?
I will definately put point cook to the top of my search list for property to buy, I think i'll look at renting in that area also. just need to get place to live when first move out there sorted. Could do with 3 bed place budget around 600 - 800 AUD per week.

Cheers
Stuart
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will definately put point cook to the top of my search list for property to buy, I think i'll look at renting in that area also. just need to get place to live when first move out there sorted. Could do with 3 bed place budget around 600 - 800 AUD per week.

Cheers
Stuart

sounds daft but hows about a 6 berth camper at 189 per week

youd have to hire a car anyway

http://fetchcampervanrental-melbourn...melbourne.html
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hoppers crossing, Werribee???? Easy to get into CBD by train and affordable housing
37 minutes hoppers crossing to cbd on train

41 minutes from werribee

Try coming from frankston the other side for the same sort of affordability (and a horrible faceless town to boot)

how long does that take, over an hour

there are other lovely affordable areas north south east and west of the city. It all depends on what you would like from your area.
If you want green try east and south east. Hills and dales. Fern tre gully is beautiful but a bit too quiet for my liking. has enough for most people but not for me.

Last edited by Mr Anderson; Mar 26th 2008 at 4:45 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Simo429
what would you suggest to do if you've lived with parents until you emmigrate, thats the position i believe i'll still be in so i can maaximise the money i can bring over
Have you ever owned a house or rented a room or a flat etc. If so then get a previous landlord reference for the last place.

if you have never rented then just show the=m that you have either

A. A job.
B. Funds in place that you are ok to ppay rent in the form of bank statements.
C. if you have neither job nor ready cash id look at a shared house out of www.gumtree.com.au as these are mostly private.

Ive found australia to be nothing like england in rental market. Most p[eople give thier property to real estate agents to let out for them incurring lots of paperwork and refs for me and you. In the uk there were loads of private landlords making it easier to view anything other than at 10.15 - 10.30 mon saturday (which you will find 90% of the time)

Ok if you aint in a rush but you could have 5 different houses to look at at 5 different parts of the city within an hour of each other. Load of bollocks the way they work it here.

You can get mid week appointments but generally they are crap and give you one time only and from none to 100 could turn up. It really isdaunting to start with if you didnt know all this and took oit for granted it would be similar to the uk.

I did and got a shock so hopefully thisll make soemobne learn from my mistakes (ive rented over 30 properties in london,manchester and preston and never had a problem because the landlords and agents werre flexible but most here dont seem to be that flexy and you cant say anything as you fear it mat y put you down the pecking order upon application)

Pah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.