Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:08 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

Originally Posted by janeyray
The people who take my posting too seriously (Portjackson maybe? ) won't last 2 mins in OZ.
Awwwwwwwwwww jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
pm to myself dont be sarcastic in the future.Read from start ...see how thread was going.........see the ...never mind forget it.

2 minutes -good one ~you actually have a sense of humo............whats that word
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

alamo is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]What would we have done differently?

We should have come here years ago.

Our son is 16, has had to adapt to a new culture at the most sensitive time of his life...but hey he's doing OK and fits in really well considering.

For anyone afraid of this enourmous change.....it's a fantastic country

Phoenix

Did your 16 yr old go to school or into the workplace ? We have two boys who will be 17 and 15 on arrival and unsure about the older one.
Any info welcomed

ta
Al and Mo
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

Hey janeyray,
I laughed and laughed at your comments for OZ. I have been only once before and I am expecting to go in around two years. I think your comments are honest (having done the dirty deed yourself) and I found them funny too.

Good on ya hope everything works out here

Lace n family
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:11 pm
Badge

Good for you Janeyray: just want to say not all of us had to wait a year for a job!!! I waited 4 weeks or so, some get them in far less - its all a bit of luck to be honest..

BM

Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

My advice to anyone in the visa process:

1) if you don't already own a pair of god shoes, buy some, i hate the damn things and now own my very own pair

2) Set up an oz bank account at an early stage, this cannot be done soon enough, trust me.

3) Once you arrive, take time to purchase new appliances, the prices do vary from place to place.Shop around.

4) Don't waste valuable space in your suitcase with jeans, bring shorts,lots of them.( although that one is probably more dependant on your location )

5) Believe in yourself, know what you are doing and research.Pay attention to negative posts, not doom and gloom but genuine issues.

Personally, i can't wait to go back to the uk for a holiday and demand the girl at the cash register pack all my shopping for me

Paul.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hey look, come on guys!! I've only been back from OZ since June so it's still the Honeymoon period here back in the UK ( ) It's all meant as a laugh.

The people who take my posting too seriously (Portjackson maybe? ) won't last 2 mins in OZ.

It's all in good fun, some love it like Badge and some hate it like Mike, some just knew it wasn't all that it's made out to be, like myself. I can rip parts of it to pieces, as much as many of you (and myself) can rip the UK to pieces.

Have fun everyone, and don't fall to sleep waiting to get a job.

xx
I don't hate Oz. Sure, I much prefer UK - the place and the people. But most of my posts are to counter the facile 'UK is crap, Oz is wonderful'-type posts.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Talking Re: If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

Sue and Donna you hit it spot on. Why can't anyone just answer the damn question that was posted and get with the program?

I've been in oz for almost 2 years now and apart from a couple of tantrums, getting lost in the one of the big malls and not understanding the language (I tend to have a different pronounciation and somehow everything I say seems to be slang for something rude?!) I love the place.

Wouldn't change anything about it, but would have liked to have come over with more money. And maybe less kids?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 11:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey look, come on guys!! I've only been back from OZ since June so it's still the Honeymoon period here back in the UK ( ) It's all meant as a laugh.

It's all in good fun, some love it like Badge and some hate it like Mike, some just knew it wasn't all that it's made out to be, like myself. I can rip parts of it to pieces, as much as many of you (and myself) can rip the UK to pieces.

Have fun everyone, and don't fall to sleep waiting to get a job.

xx
Just looked like a better-than-averagely funny post to me
Old Oct 1st 2004, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
My advice to anyone in the visa process:

1) if you don't already own a pair of god shoes, buy some, i hate the damn things and now own my very own pair

Paul.
What do you mean by god shoes? A closed version of Jesus sandals??

Anyway, if we had to do it all again???? Maybe we would've waited another six months before buying our house. I just got too impatient renting - it just seemed that we hadn't really settled until we bought a place. I'm sure we could have saved some money if we'd waited.....

Apart from that, everything is as we expected. We thought that Aussies would be a little more laid back in the workplace, but the working week is still as long and tiring as it was in Europe!
Old Oct 1st 2004, 2:53 am
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=alamoDid your 16 yr old go to school or into the workplace ? We have two boys who will be 17 and 15 on arrival and unsure about the older one.
Any info welcomed

ta
Al and Mo[/QUOTE]

Hi Al and Mo

My son went straight to school here. To be honest I don't think he would have found a decent job here at 16 as he is in year 10 and from what I can gather, I believe most places of work prefer them to stay on at school till year 12 [18 year old].

Where are you intending to live? If you want you can PM me here on this site?

I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have as there doesn't seem to be that many of us who have emigrated with older kids