Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

[QUOTE=Go Banana's !!]Piss on my bonfire if you like, I couldn't give a toss. QUOTE]

Blimey Jill......you are beginning to frighten me :scared:

Looks like Warren will have an interesting time getting to know his new wife
Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:44 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
This had the makings of an informative and interesting thread, but yet again its degenerated into a slanging match cos of some troll with a large spoon breaking up the party!
Yeah agreed.Janeyray make an apology
Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:49 pm
Badge

Have to admit, Janeyray, there are times when you seem REALLY effected by your time in Australia - I feel it must have been really bad for you mate. I say this because you don't strike me as being negative, if that makes sense - its like you really try to distance yourself..from the whole thing..

Being at home for a year must have been a killer...iwe all know this is the case anywhere - if you'd had had a job it wouldn't have been so bad...

so it must feel great to be home...

cheers

BM

PS I think it is a 'shame', because whilst I can see where your list is coming from, you can choose to not let it effect you, ie I don't go to all the same shops - I don't eat junk food, don't watch TV??

Last edited by Badge; Sep 25th 2004 at 12:01 am.

Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

In a desperate attempt to avoid this thread descending into the depths of despair that the last one did, a serious (??) post:

do not underestimate the anount of time it will take to sell your house (if applic). The way the housing market is going, get in on asap
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:20 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

1) However much money you are allowing yourselves when you get here, for set up costs etc....double it!! :scared:

2) Do haggle with the Real Estate agent about the rental amount! doh!

3) Start watching The Bill in the UK now.....get used to it...the Aussies love it!

4) Get used to the idea of having your bags checked whenever you leave a shop. I hate this one, it makes you feel guilty even though you've done nothing wrong!

5) Get a low maintenance hair cut.....God, they know how to charge out here!

6) Try to start unwinding mentally before you get here, some folk here are so laid back they're horizontal!

7) be prepared for the fact you may not walk off that plane, kiss the ground in a Pope fashion, and fall instantly in love with this place! It takes time to adjust. Take day by day.

oh, and finally, bring some bloody 13/15 amp fuses with you!!! doh again!!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:24 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjn2003
In a desperate attempt to avoid this thread descending into the depths of despair that the last one did, a serious (??) post:

do not underestimate the anount of time it will take to sell your house (if applic). The way the housing market is going, get in on asap
I would certainly recommend a visit to Aus of more than just a couple of weeks to get a feel for the place. Also, you can never do too much research. I'm a way off applying yet, and yet I've found out how to avoid a number of pitfalls already, by researching both official and unofficial sources.

I say this because I didn't do enough research on the country before going there on a working holiday, and so missed out on quite a few things through my own ignorance.

Right......can I make a request that we all now please STAY ON TOPIC!!

Thankyou....
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't impulse but a new car cos you feel loaded!! wish we'd have bought 2 cars with the money we spent on one, then we would have owned 2 cars outright.
This happened because we didn't account for STAMP DUTY!!! as a very rough guide, expect to pay between $15 and $20,000 ON TOP of your houses price!!!

When you put an offer in on you house, if its accepted this becomes the contract, so make sure you put anything outstanding on this offer. Eg, keep the pool clean, repair fences, clean out sceptic tanks, all appliences must be iin full WORKING order, etc etc.

Use a conveyencer, not a solicitor, much quicker and cheaper.

Lastly, ignore the trolls on this site, if you respond you fuel there fire and they get off on it
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:49 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Now what would i have done??????????????????

NOTHING !!!!!!
I found it easy
Old Sep 25th 2004, 1:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
I would have suggested to hubby to move to OZ 4 yrs ago had I known then the age limit of 45 for a skilled visa.
The age limits have got stricter in the last few years. The 45 age bar for general skilled came started 1999, and it's been followed by age limits (with varying degrees of flexibility or lack of same) on employer nomination, former resident and business skills.

New Zealand and Canada are normally less fussy about age if you meet their other criteria.

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: If you had to do it all again - what would you do differently?

D
Originally Posted by janeyray
:D :D or before you go prepare by doing the following :..

1. The heat.....go and sit in a sauna for 3 days in your British winter clothes to get a 'true' feel for the Aussie summer. :scared:

2. Eat junk food constantly for a week, they live on it.

3. Sit indoors without the central heating on, to get the 'true' feel of the cold winter nights in the Aussie houses that don't have heating.

4. Go shopping at the cheapest market to get a feel for buying cheap crappy clothes.

5. Ask for all your chips to be put in the same bag regardless of how many of you there are.

6. Only use your switch card 10 times a month, to get use to the small amount of times you can use it without charges.

7. Drive at at least 60mph weaving in and out of the lanes/drivers.

8. Try and go without seeing your friends and family for about 6 months before you go, to prepare you for the reality of when you get there.

9. Read the jobs paper from start to finish and practise writing a thousand letters for any type of job, from cleaning white goods on display to an trainee accountant. Then go back and do it all again twice more before next weeks job paper comes out.

10. Go and sit in the job centre to prepare yourself for the first centrelink visit, making sure you pick the nastiest, sweatiest, meanest person in there to help with your enquiry.

11. Go around your local shopping centre (choose 1 only) for the next 6 months.

12. The same applies to 1 furniture shop, for the next 6 months. (anyone wondering why, it's because they all sell the same products)

13. Tape every single advert on tv and then play it non stop for about 15 mins, watch your favorite programme for 5 mins then adverts for 15, favorite for 5mins, adverts for 15 mins and so on.....

14. Go and buy a banger (car) but offer them twice as much as it's worth, as they seem to hold their value in OZ

15. Find a lake, river or somewhere where you can get bitten by hundreds of mossies, just to get the real feel of a balmy night outdoors.
:eek:
:D Sorry if I haven't replied to this using the right mode... I'm still practicing my newly aquired computer skills.. But I just had to reply 'cos I haven't laughed soo much since I got here! This is just so bloody true..... Glad someone else saw things the same as me. There's a few more I could add, but what the hell, after a few more glasses of wine, they don't seem to matter so much and the nights seem warmer in these Aussie houses the more alcohol you consume...Thanks janeyray!:
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:07 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

What would we have done differently?

We should have come here years ago.

Our son is 16, has had to adapt to a new culture at the most sensitive time of his life...but hey he's doing OK and fits in really well considering.

For anyone afraid of this enourmous change.....it's a fantastic country

It has it's faults, it's not the UK, things are VERY different in some ways and not others, "people sickness" never goes away and life still goes on with paying bills and having to work etc.......

but for us....we feel extremely lucky..... and wish we'd done it years ago

Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Get back to the point of the thread guys -

I wouldn't change one damn, bloody, nobbing thing, not one. Not even to have Warren with me (he knows what I mean) those who read the diary know I have had a hectic time but it has been the best thing I have ever done for my confidence and own self worth. I've enjoyed every bizzaar descovery and my daughter and I have redescovered how to have a laugh together. I love all my new friends dearly - which is big help

Not sure where this journey will take us, but I will look back on this period in my life with great admiration , sorry if that sounds big headed, but I've suprised myself and I've never done that before!! Usually I roll my eyes to myself and think "Not again you daft cow"

You don't have to agree with me, just respect this is my journey and I'm loving it, not asking anyone or telling anyone they have to like it. It's like Warren telling me he likes liver and I should to, NO WAY, quite frankly makes me vom.

If we decide 5, 10 years down the line Oz is not for us, what really have we lost? (forget material possessions) Regrets, I've never believed in them , it all happens for a reason. I've done some dum things in my time and met some dodgy geezers but it just taught me not to do that again. How else do you learn?

You know, the guys now back in the UK haven't failed, the experience has made them fall in love with the UK all over again and they are loving it, arn't you Mike? So no-one should be regretful about that.

So you know what it all boils down to is attertude.

Piss on my bonfire if you like, I couldn't give a toss. If it goes tits up that's my problem - but I don't think it will - do you ?

Jill

now watch the fur fly........................
Well said hope to meet up in January!!!!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
OK Mike, we all know you've read 'Eats Shoots & Leaves'.

(or should that be 'Eats shoot's and leave's'....?)

Anya.
Neither. It's "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - the comma is a critical part of the title!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:24 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Neither. It's "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - the comma is a critical part of the title!

lol

Hey Mike what do you think of Kongs demise?

Walla
Old Sep 29th 2004, 5:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hey look, come on guys!! I've only been back from OZ since June so it's still the Honeymoon period here back in the UK ( ) It's all meant as a laugh.

The people who take my posting too seriously (Portjackson maybe? ) won't last 2 mins in OZ.

It's all in good fun, some love it like Badge and some hate it like Mike, some just knew it wasn't all that it's made out to be, like myself. I can rip parts of it to pieces, as much as many of you (and myself) can rip the UK to pieces.

Have fun everyone, and don't fall to sleep waiting to get a job.

xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.