Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you could turn back time.........

If you could turn back time.........

Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you could turn back time.........

No not the Cher song,

Just wondering for the people that are already here if there was one thing; i.e. a mistake, error in judgement, or anything that you would change, that you have done since you have been here what would it be???

It will be interesting reading to those not here yet, they could probably learn from our mistakes.

Mine would be to take more time over cars, we bought 2 after being here for a few weeks, and ended up getting shut of them less than a year later at a massive 30 -40 % loss.

So come on spill the beans what "mistakes" have you made in haste and repented at your leisure?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: If you could turn back time.........

We moved over to the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria in July 2004 from sunny Rochdale. We'd had a holiday in Oz in '92 and our only regret now is that we didn't move sooner. It's a great place to bring up the kids and it's so safe compared to the UK. Merry Xmas everyone.

Andy
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

I would agree entirely about the car. Stupidly brought new, even though I told myself I would never buy new again !

I would also have not been in such a rush to transfer out money over.
We didn't need it for 6 months (until we bought a house) and probably lost
a fair amount on the exchange rate.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

1) Not pushing the company for more money - I could have gotten another $7000 onto my salary.
2) Should have come over for 5 weeks on my own beforehand and then made the decision to move.
3) Most important - should have really discussed what the job entailed and have understood 'you are joining a top team' actually meant 'there's no team - we need people like you, and you'll be on your own'.

Having said that, if I'd have done the last 2 I wouldn't have come over and would have regretted not coming later in life.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have bought the two blocks of land I intended to buy when I first arrived, I'd have been happily retired by now:curse: Such is life
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:51 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Not getting to say goodbye to my nanna. But most of all not thanking her for the 21st birthday card - last birthday card she ever sent me(well someone in the nursing home sent it). I've carried it around for 13 years to remind myself never to procrastinate as you can pay dearly. Even now it puts a lump in my throat.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:23 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

not force my 16 yr old daughter to go to college(were she met some kn**head and thinks she is in love and now not coming to oz with us)

oh how i regret it
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

We should have kept our property in the UK. We paid 28,000 for it
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Not coming years ago when the kids were younger and would have settled better
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we had come here a couple of years earlier !
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:27 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought the car in a rush too.

But we didn't leave enough time to sort through the house at the UK end and as a result of lack of organisation, left a lot of stuff that we should have packed. A lot went to the tip/recycling, which frankly, was heartbreaking.
Bring everything... even if you think it won't be any use. You can always sell it here.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Wish we had come here a couple of years earlier !
I wish that too, so life would have been a bit more easier on my eldest boy, yes another older teenager who hates it here, but just staying until he finishes his year 12.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

We rushed buying a car when we got here. It's a good car (we bought second hand) but it's just not me

Moving money out here when the exchange rate was better would also have been good. Our UK pensions will be transferred soon so we probably won't get a great on them at the moment although it is going in the right direction for moving money from the UK to Oz.

Regards,
Karen
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Rushing into buying a gas guzzling car

Not buying a few blocks of land or a couple of investment properties.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:15 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a house, without truely considering if we were settled and not checking out other suburbs (or States!)

Thinking in £'s on arrival and over spending as a result.......including that new car purchase

Not taking lots of photos of my favourite haunts and 'memory places' in the U.K (It's a woman thing)

Jan