Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELTS standards sham!

IELTS standards sham!

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IELTS standards sham!

Originally Posted by pigwhocouldfly
Thankyou so much for your support pops
No problem pigwhocouldfly. I understand the worry having had many sleepless nights waiting for my results and hoping I had done enough to pass (I had a job offer and could potentially have lost it!). As I said, good luck to your wife and your family with everything

Pops
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

pigwhocouldfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
IELTS set the tests and mark them. The organisations that use the IELTS system set the pass mark so it's nothing to do with IELTS if someone passes or fails. It's down to DIAC.
Very true, but IELTS are quite aware of the purpose you are taking the exam as it asks for this information in the application. Maybe this information should remain anonymous, just an idea.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

it is You're not one of those and not Your I thankyou!
Good job it is not me bitching about IELTS then
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
Good job it is not me bitching about IELTS then

Bitching about IELTS no, bitching in general well....
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I take it you have never voiced an opinion in your entire life then itxrd?

If so I might also be well inclined to call you a whinger from now on!
;-) I think in a couple of yrs you'll look back and wonder why you got so worked up about this. Good luck with the appeal!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itxrd
;-) I think in a couple of yrs you'll look back and wonder why you got so worked up about this. Good luck with the appeal!
I most likely will itxrd, but that's the case with everything we get p*@&%d off with.

Thanks btw
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I most likely will itxrd, but that's the case with everything we get p*@&%d off with.

Thanks btw
True true. No worries man
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, but IELTS are quite aware of the purpose you are taking the exam as it asks for this information in the application. Maybe this information should remain anonymous, just an idea.
Bear with me, I'm struggling here a bit Are you saying that the scores your wife received were purposely marked down because of the current pass mark designated by DIAC? That were you after the IELTS for something else, she would have got a different score? I'm honestly interested, having, thankfully, not had to do any sort of assessment to get here (wouldn't have bothered if I had). It's only in the past year I've noticed anyone on forums complaining about the IELTS system so I feel that it's down to DIAC who have upped the anti on the scores and IELTS are scoring as they always have done.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Bear with me, I'm struggling here a bit Are you saying that the scores your wife received were purposely marked down because of the current pass mark designated by DIAC? That were you after the IELTS for something else, she would have got a different score? I'm honestly interested, having, thankfully, not had to do any sort of assessment to get here (wouldn't have bothered if I had). It's only in the past year I've noticed anyone on forums complaining about the IELTS system so I feel that it's down to DIAC who have upped the anti on the scores and IELTS are scoring as they always have done.
I'm not saying they were purposely marked down, but the need to explain on the application form the need of the IELTS in the first place should not be asked.
Then that will possibly cut out some of the cynicism some have with the exam.
I'm sure the IELTS examiners are very professional in the way they grade an individual
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:56 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez bro not even the Kiwis can speak English
http://www.news.com.au/business/busi...-1225913577348
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen IELTS threads on here quite a bit over the 3 or 4 years I've been on here. I've posted one or two myself. I dont think the marking has been changed, they've always been a bit hit and miss in different sections of the test.

What I think is a bit rich is your opinion that the op's wife is bad at english after failing the IELTS test without having sat it yourself. I dont think you're the only one on here doing that but its not something you have enough knowledge on to make such comments. You might be brilliant at English but passing this test means being ready for a test, not just walking into a room and answering a few questions about something you know inside out.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I've seen IELTS threads on here quite a bit over the 3 or 4 years I've been on here. I've posted one or two myself. I dont think the marking has been changed, they've always been a bit hit and miss in different sections of the test.

What I think is a bit rich is your opinion that the op's wife is bad at english after failing the IELTS test without having sat it yourself. I dont think you're the only one on here doing that but its not something you have enough knowledge on to make such comments. You might be brilliant at English but passing this test means being ready for a test, not just walking into a room and answering a few questions about something you know inside out.
Where did I state that the OPs wife was bad at English? I don't know her and nor do I know what she wrote on her test. The only points I've made were that she hadn't failed, she'd got slightly below the mark required and that there was no way the OP or his wife could know what she had lost marks on. Their comment that she's excellent at English and she 'knows' she did well is irrelevant because they are not the marker. .5 of a mark shows that she's obviously not bad at English. Twice I've actually stated that on appeal the mark is likely to go up judging by the points on the other sections and the fact that the mark is only fractionally down.