Iphone question

Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road
Default Iphone question

Hello, does anyone out there know whether my Iphone will work in oz.
I'm on orange contract and got ages left too.
Just wondering what others have done regarding mobile phones.
thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Iphone question

Originally Posted by perth bound
thanks

It will work on roaming but probably cost you a fortune. I had an orange phone when I first arrive with 6 month left on the contract which I had to pay for. Best to join one of the Aussie networks. If you can get your iphone unlocked then you will probably be able to use it here. Best not to cling to UK stuff when here.

Main Network choices - optus, virgin, Telstra, Vodafone
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Warmapple is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
I have a UK iphone working in Australia it works on all networks. you just need it unlocked. A man on your local market should be able to help if you are not confident to do it yourself
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:44 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Get it unlocked or it will be very expensive to use... best to go the official route unless you are really confident with coping with updating and reunlocking (unlocking an iphone is a bit different to your average Nokia etc)

For networks in OZ Telstra NextG (3g850) is by far the best in terms of speed and coverage when used with the Iphone (but its more expensive), Three is a good option as includes roaming to Telstra NextG.Vodafone are a reasonable option as they have deployed edge on 2g meaning reasonable speeds outside of the metro areas.

Optus and Virgin are well priced but 3G coverage with the Iphone is no where near as good (The Iphone doesn't work on there yesG 3g900 network) and there networks are highly subscribed due to good pricing.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

thanks 4 replies. heard that unlocking slows everything down, any truth in that for those that ave dun it? thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:42 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

thanks 4 replies. heard that unlocking slows everything down, any truth in that for those that ave dun it? thanks
No - no issues.
Just make sure they do it right and they dont jailbreak it and then brick your phone.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Warmapple is an unknown quantity at this point

no issues of slowing down for me. I recommend Vodaphone in Aus but thats just me!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:12 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warmapple
no issues of slowing down for me. I recommend Vodaphone in Aus but thats just me!
Vodafone are good so long as you never, ever have to talk to them for any reason - their network and prices are good but their customer service (on phone and in store) is abysmal.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Vodafone are good so long as you never, ever have to talk to them for any reason - their network and prices are good but their customer service (on phone and in store) is abysmal.
My friend has had huge problems with Vodafone customer service, she's had to ring them twice over them making errors on her bill, 4 hours later, been cut off several times, it's just about been sorted... till the next month!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:10 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Or you really need to use your phone out in the bush.. then it has to be Telstra NextG
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:13 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Have the same problem - orange want me to pay contract in full. I intend not to - keep paying monthly and when they let me do best plan review I'll reduce payments.

Orange will do an official unlock for £20. I will go this route and go for a SIM package in Oz.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:50 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Have the same problem - orange want me to pay contract in full. I intend not to - keep paying monthly and when they let me do best plan review I'll reduce payments.

Orange will do an official unlock for £20. I will go this route and go for a SIM package in Oz.
Ask them how long would this unlock takes. Vodaphone rep told me when I wanted to buy a then latest Blackberry, a few years back that was, that the unlock code "takes 3-4 months to process" and then is simply keyed in on the phone keyboard. I wanted to buy a new phone without a contract altogether but the way they treated unlocks would mean to have Either lock myself in to a contract and get out of it when unlock code would come in or get a phone I could not use with my operator for months which was not a viable option either. This is a bit different to having had gone through the contract like you had, but I thought worth sharing.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Unlocks should take hours. I unlocked a Vodafone phone online and it was in an instant.
Originally Posted by newjersey
Ask them how long would this unlock takes. Vodaphone rep told me when I wanted to buy a then latest Blackberry, a few years back that was, that the unlock code "takes 3-4 months to process" and then is simply keyed in on the phone keyboard. I wanted to buy a new phone without a contract altogether but the way they treated unlocks would mean to have Either lock myself in to a contract and get out of it when unlock code would come in or get a phone I could not use with my operator for months which was not a viable option either. This is a bit different to having had gone through the contract like you had, but I thought worth sharing.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:51 am
In melbourne

Originally Posted by IvanM
Unlocks should take hours. I unlocked a Vodafone phone online and it was in an instant.
I agree with you technically they should.

I suspect this may have been a while back and something to do with the OP buying a contract/locked phone and trying to get it immediately unlocked as opposed to sourcing an unlocked phone. The way the phone co.s have dealt with locks has changed over time and has always been confusing to the consumer (and their staff sometimes).