IEA or ACS?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:07 am
Just Joined

lsevenl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEA or ACS?

Hi, everyone,
I have a master degree in Electrical and electronic engineering. After graduation, I have worked in an electrical company for 3.5 years. But my duty is programming some electrical supervisory software.
So my question is that my major is electrical but my work experience is just relevant to electrical, although sometimes I must use some electrical knowledge to make some programming algorithm.
I want to know what assessment I can apply for. I want apply for the IEA, but making electrical supervisory software is enough to get the IEA? As the ACS as concerned, I don’t know whether my studied lessons can contain the over half computer courses. And what is more, I must wait for lest half year(Maybe 2.5 years, if I don’t have enough computer courses) to apply for the ACS.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEA or ACS?

Originally Posted by lsevenl
Hi, everyone,
I have a master degree in Electrical and electronic engineering. After graduation, I have worked in an electrical company for 3.5 years. But my duty is programming some electrical supervisory software.
So my question is that my major is electrical but my work experience is just relevant to electrical, although sometimes I must use some electrical knowledge to make some programming algorithm.
I want to know what assessment I can apply for. I want apply for the IEA, but making electrical supervisory software is enough to get the IEA? As the ACS as concerned, I don’t know whether my studied lessons can contain the over half computer courses. And what is more, I must wait for lest half year(Maybe 2.5 years, if I don’t have enough computer courses) to apply for the ACS.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Not that I know anything about the ACS route, but I would recommend going the IEA route, which was the way that I went. With the IEA, if you can demonstrate that you have used your skills in any kind of engineering context, then you can obtain a positive assessment. I was slightly skeptical that I would get one as some of my work experience wasn't directly related to my qualifications.

I am lead to believe that the ACS assessment is much more involved. Also, you may find that your degree programme may be recognised under one of the relevant engineering accords, which make things much easier in terms of applying for assessment.

Check out the IEA website for further details.

S
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:27 am
Just Joined

lsevenl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEA or ACS?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Not that I know anything about the ACS route, but I would recommend going the IEA route, which was the way that I went. With the IEA, if you can demonstrate that you have used your skills in any kind of engineering context, then you can obtain a positive assessment. I was slightly skeptical that I would get one as some of my work experience wasn't directly related to my qualifications.

I am lead to believe that the ACS assessment is much more involved. Also, you may find that your degree programme may be recognised under one of the relevant engineering accords, which make things much easier in terms of applying for assessment.

Check out the IEA website for further details.

S
Thanks for your reply.
According to your advice, I will try to do the IEA application. I think I will meet more hard work when I write the CDR, because I must find very tiny relationship between my electrical major and my programming work. Anyway, I used some electrical knowledge to determine some principle of software.
I will do my best.
Thank you.