Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

idoits guide for driving in Perth

idoits guide for driving in Perth

Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all
Default idoits guide for driving in Perth

I've been in Perth for 6 months, and just passed my driving test (must be the oldest P plater at 36) I live in Greenwood and find it ok to drive to Perth down the Mitchell freeway, but coming back can never find the freeway north turnoff. Yesterday trying to get home I ended up in Fremantle, and a bit worried as next week have to take my son for a doctors appointment in Nedlands and have no clue where I'm going or how to get home. Any help much appreciated.

Jules
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: idoits guide for driving in Perth

Originally Posted by jules
I've been in Perth for 6 months, and just passed my driving test (must be the oldest P plater at 36) I live in Greenwood and find it ok to drive to Perth down the Mitchell freeway, but coming back can never find the freeway north turnoff. Yesterday trying to get home I ended up in Fremantle, and a bit worried as next week have to take my son for a doctors appointment in Nedlands and have no clue where I'm going or how to get home. Any help much appreciated.

Jules

Best to be out driving all weekend to get your bearings

Then a beer once ye get home
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:09 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Jules
Whats the drill with WA License ?

I see in SA you get to swop your UK one for a SA one.

Do you need to take theory and practical for WA ??

Ta

Nick
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

jules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to alljules is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nick72

Ta

Nick
Never had a UK licence, had 2 failed tests in UK. Took me two times to pass in WA
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nick72

Ta

Nick

No theory anymore, WA is now a swap shop
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:17 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muzza04
No theory anymore, WA is now a swap shop
It is ??

The wife will be ecstatic !!

Thanks

Nick
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: idoits guide for driving in Perth

Jules
I recommend Multimap (click here.)

Just punch in your starting point and destination, and let the site work out a route for you.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:47 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Jules
I still have trouble in both directions when heading for the CBD. It is worse at the moment as the link from Mounts Bay Road to the freeway is closed.

On the way in there is a Wellington St exit, I am sure, but I never see it. I think it must be the one signed as James Street???

On the way out if you head west along St Georges Terrace then do a right, left, right (Milligan, Hay, George) you can get back to it, otherwise drop down to Riverside then turn right at the roundabout onto Mounts Bay Road and follow the signs but I always end up getting stuck in the wrong lane going that way.

I am driving in during rush hour on Monday for the first time as I am playing tennis at night and not looking forward to it.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:04 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I recommend Multimap (click here.)

Just punch in your starting point and destination, and let the site work out a route for you.
I tried that but it shows me a route to Mill St through a road that isn't there anymore as the Convention Centre is there now. Whereis does the same. It opened in August 2004 so presumably that road hasn't been there for at least 18 months.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:34 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Jules
Hi Jules,

If you're coming from Nedlands, head for Winthrop Ave, (which becomes Thomas St as you head north.
This is the road that borders Kings Park.
It's a lonnnnngggg road....

When you get to West Perth, turn right at the lights at Welington St.
Go through 3 quick sets of lights and on your left hand side is the on ramp for the freeway north. You can't miss it...
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:40 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Jules
Catch the train and bus.
Get a sat nav.
Photo copy the map(s) you need and highlight the way you need to go.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 12:47 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Catch the train and bus.
Get a sat nav.
Photo copy the map(s) you need and highlight the way you need to go.

Agree with the GPS/sat nav suggestion but make sure you have the ability to mute it or be prepared to go nuts after a while (although I hear you can get a celebrity voice of your choice now to direct you ( )
Old Feb 25th 2006, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Jules

get a map book - they are so handy - but depends who is reading it - my husband has a tendancy to narrate the way reading the map upside down - it does take some time to get your bearings though - I agree catch the train - much easier.