Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide - Any Information???

Adelaide - Any Information???

Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide - Any Information???

We are moving to Adelaide in September 2006 and would like any information anybody has. Its all so scary, not knowing the country. We have never been to Adelaide, and would like to know if there are any bad areas to stay away from. We also have two children who will be going to school, again does anyone know of any good schools, this could then decide where to rent a house. Any advice about Adelaide would be good, like I say we are going to arrive not knowing anything, so the any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, look forward to hearing from anyone in Adelaide.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide - Any Information???

Originally Posted by smithfield22
We are moving to Adelaide in September 2006 and would like any information anybody has. Its all so scary, not knowing the country. We have never been to Adelaide, and would like to know if there are any bad areas to stay away from. We also have two children who will be going to school, again does anyone know of any good schools, this could then decide where to rent a house. Any advice about Adelaide would be good, like I say we are going to arrive not knowing anything, so the any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi we are also going to Adelaide and have never been before so we are in the same boat. Try Adelaide brits site sorry don't know how to put the link on here but check previous threads to find it. Its got loads of info. Its a shame you are not closer to the midlands we are having a meet in March. Hope you find what u are looking for.

Tracey
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We too are going to Adelaide and we haven't been before either. :scared:

I have found a few good site's though

www.sacentral.com.au - loads of links to schools, job sites, real estates etc

and as previously mentioned adelaide brits site http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

We will hopefully be going before September (need to sell house), when we get there I will write a thread for anyone else going.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:13 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

We're also off to Adelaide at the end of April,and have never been there either.Will put a thread on after we are settled .We got a really good pack from the SA govt website which you should send off for if you haven't already .Would also love to hear from others who are already settled there,especially anyone with babies/toddlers.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice

Hi

We also hope to be going to Adelaide but as you can see below we have a bit of a wait yet. We have never been their either, but am looking forward to it enormously.

We are going to the Peterborough Meet on Sunday, this will be our first meeting - scarry stuff. We are also going to he Northampton Meet at the beginning of March - hope to find out loads of stuff there to.

I must admit that by logging on here I have received loads of suggestions and comments about different subjects, which is brill as I have such a long time to look into it all.

I will keep looking at this thread to see what other positive suggestions come up.

Linda / Dave
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:44 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search Adelaide there is loads of stuff that comes up!!

We got the pack from the Goverment to and that was really helpful and another pack from somewhere else but escapes me know where from, but here are a few website to help get you started...

http://www.touradelaide.com/

http://www.adelaide.sa.gov.au/tour/tour.htm

http://www.australia.com/

http://www.southaustralia.biz/home_page.htm

http://www.sacentral.com.au/site/page.cfm

http://www.livingin-australia.com/cl...r-adelaide.htm

http://searchenginez.com.au/job_adelaide.html

http://www.wilmap.com.au/samaps/ADSUBS.html

There are loads more but these should keep you going!!

Good Luck!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi

We too are going to Adelaide and we haven't been before either. :scared:

I have found a few good site's though

www.sacentral.com.au - loads of links to schools, job sites, real estates etc

and as previously mentioned adelaide brits site http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

We will hopefully be going before September (need to sell house), when we get there I will write a thread for anyone else going.
Didn't realise you were Adelaide bound Wendy. Us to, but I suspect not until later in the year.

I HAVE been to Adelaide, but it was yonks ago and as a backpacker so I'm basically as much in the dark as the rest of you. It looks to be a wonderful place, and comes very highly recommended so I'm not worried. Also, accomodation is a little cheaper which helps (yes, before I get jumped on, I know salaries may be lower as well ).

Looking forward to an Adelaide meet sometime
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Looking forward to an Adelaide meet sometime

Me too.

every time I try to get to one of the meets here, I have something else to do

I'm hoping I won't be as busy out there. Well not all the time anyway.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:48 pm
Almost nearly there?

Tim100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we went out to Adelaide last year for our pre emigration reccie...it really is a clean, well laid out and beautiful city. We found it to be very laid back and a great place for the family! all things being well (with our application) thats where we'll be heading... Good luck with the move
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:52 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Me too.

every time I try to get to one of the meets here, I have something else to do

I'm hoping I won't be as busy out there. Well not all the time anyway.
I don't mind being busy, I just hate having to pay for it. I'm really looking forward to being able to spend some time outdoors without the kids instead of hiding from the rain in some manky, expensive soft play who's idea of healthy food is oven chips :scared:

Looks like Adelaide's got lots of lovely parks, I'm just itching to get over there.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by herrchook
I don't mind being busy, I just hate having to pay for it. I'm really looking forward to being able to spend some time outdoors without the kids instead of hiding from the rain in some manky, expensive soft play who's idea of healthy food is oven chips :scared:

Looks like Adelaide's got lots of lovely parks, I'm just itching to get over there.

I don't mind being busy either. Although I've just given up work so am feeling rather lost at the minute.

I really do want to go now. Damn housing market
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies, we have been on every possible site trying to get information, but its not the same as having someone tell you and answer all those questions spinning around in your head. We would love to meet up with anyone heading to Adelaide, we live in Devon - anyone near???
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:31 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies, we have been on every possible site trying to get information, but its not the same as having someone tell you and answer all those questions spinning around in your head. We would love to meet up with anyone heading to Adelaide, we live in Devon - anyone near???
We,re in Surrey,but it would be great to keep in touch with all Adelaide bound brits via email,then hopefully met up once we're all there. I'm really looking forward to our move, but my only worry is about leaving behind my support network and making new friends as I have two under threes and will be staying at home with them for the foreseeable future .I've also got a teen 18 who is a bit concerned about leaving her friends too - but she is quite outgoing s I think she'll be fine.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

These areas I would avoid ( North ) Elizabeth, Smithfield,Kilburn,Port Adelaide,these areas have an awful lot of problems with unemployment,hoons.
( South ) Aldinga,Port Noarlunga,bearing in mind a lot of the problems are due to high unemployment in these areas !!!!!
The nicer areas are Adelaide Hills,Mount Barker, Stirling, Blackwood,( Coast )
Brighton, Glenelg, both very expensive, but really nice !!!! alll the bst with your new adventure.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

We lives in ADL for 6 yrs but left in mid 90,s,did not like it but it does have good points.The central market is brilliant,local producers sell produce on friday nights and saturday mornings,the local version of Jarlsberg cheese was about $5 a kilo then and excellent.We lived at North Haven which is at the mouth of the port river (outer harbour),the beachside suburbs going to Glenelg were Semaphore, Largs north, Largs Bay,I forget now.Port Adelaide had a bar called the Port Dock,a microbrewery ,some of the beer there is really good,a beer called old preacher (I think ) is around 8% alcohol and tastes like dandelion and burdoch soft drink,goes down so easy.Most of the poms lived at Golden Grove ,Salisbury heights,Salisbury to the north and Reynella,Hallet cove to the south.The german arms at Hahndorf in the hills is ok and the Claire valley is nice (wine areas),like most oz cities very quiet at night.There was not much of a live music scene there which disappointed me but as a starting point to find your feet it is probably OK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.