Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ideas for places to live in Sydney?...

Ideas for places to live in Sydney?...

Old Jan 11th 2005, 4:12 pm
MorningMaro

MorningMaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Ideas for places to live in Sydney?...

Hi there,
I'm new to britishexpats.com (and new to discussion boards generally!) so hello all.
I'm moving to Sydney with my boyfriend in March and am looking for suggestions for interesting/lively places to live, as near to a beach as possible (of course), lots of bars, restaurants etc, no more than 30 mins commute from the central business district.
We're being sponsored by my boyfriend's company and they've given us a v confusing, whopping great accomodation form to fill in so they can help us find somewhere to live but I thought it would be better to actually include some preferred areas too as we've got no idea where to start.
Answers on a postcard to....
Suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ideas for places to live in Sydney?...

Originally Posted by MorningMaro
Hi there,
I'm new to britishexpats.com (and new to discussion boards generally!) so hello all.
I'm moving to Sydney with my boyfriend in March and am looking for suggestions for interesting/lively places to live, as near to a beach as possible (of course), lots of bars, restaurants etc, no more than 30 mins commute from the central business district.
We're being sponsored by my boyfriend's company and they've given us a v confusing, whopping great accomodation form to fill in so they can help us find somewhere to live but I thought it would be better to actually include some preferred areas too as we've got no idea where to start.
Answers on a postcard to....
Suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!
You are probably looking at the Eastern Suburbs or somewhere between North Sydney and Manly. Bondi, Bronte, clovelly and Coogee are 45 mins from the CBD by bus at rush hour. For the night life darlinghurst/paddington will fit in your needs and that is only 15-20 mins from the CBD. I used to walk from Darlinghurst to work in the CBD. Darlinghurst also has a dark side with a severe heroin problem and a couple of prostitute pick up areas.

Someone else will have to fill in on the Manly ferry. www.131500.com.au will give you public transport info.

What is your budget? Unless you are loaded you are probably looking for an apartment.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by MorningMaro
Lots of bars? Do you get points for supporting the brewing industry?

Check this out as essential background to folk considering Sydney:

http://radar.smh.com.au/archives/200...e_where_y.html

Your choice can be life changing. The place is very tribal. As is Melbourne.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:14 am
MorningMaro

MorningMaro is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the speedy replies Bondipom & Banksia, really appreciated and some useful weblinks.
The search is on!!
MM

Originally Posted by bondipom
You are probably looking at the Eastern Suburbs or somewhere between North Sydney and Manly. Bondi, Bronte, clovelly and Coogee are 45 mins from the CBD by bus at rush hour. For the night life darlinghurst/paddington will fit in your needs and that is only 15-20 mins from the CBD. I used to walk from Darlinghurst to work in the CBD. Darlinghurst also has a dark side with a severe heroin problem and a couple of prostitute pick up areas.

Someone else will have to fill in on the Manly ferry. www.131500.com.au will give you public transport info.

What is your budget? Unless you are loaded you are probably looking for an apartment.