Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

learning to drive

learning to drive

Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default learning to drive

hiya guys, i was just wondering about learner drivers in oz.My daughter is coming up for 17 and i was just wondering what the age is for driveing in oz,and do they learn to drive in school like they do in canada,if not what prices are the average for driving lessons,any help i would be grateful.

tracey.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:14 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive

Originally Posted by scissors
hiya guys, i was just wondering about learner drivers in oz.My daughter is coming up for 17 and i was just wondering what the age is for driveing in oz,and do they learn to drive in school like they do in canada,if not what prices are the average for driving lessons,any help i would be grateful.

tracey.

Tracey

I found this - hope its useful....?

We are looking into the same thing for Queensland for Steve as he wants to learn how to drive when we get there...

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11598252%255E1702,00.html
Queensland begins L-plate trial

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/0f122c06d5c309324a2565ca00059c43/5052d25a2bb421a94a256723000b4e1b?OpenDocument
Queensland Government Transport Dept
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:15 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey!

I just got my drivers licence here in Perth (no laughing that I waited til I was almost 30!) It is different than Canada and here's how;

1) You must be 17 to take the practical test.

2) You CAN get a learners permit at 16 in order to practice for your 17th birthday. You do this by passing the theory.

3) You can be taught by a parent, friend etc... as long as they have 2 years experience on a FULL licence. (Meaning not right after you get your P's off.)

4)Upon passing the practical, you still can't drive alone. You need to log a minimum of 25 hours of driving with an experienced driver in varied weather/traffic conditions.

5) Once the log book is done (and signed by a JP) you do a hazzard test (computer thingy that tests your reaction to different situations). When that is passed you get your P licence.

6) P's must be displayed on your car while driving for 2 years indicating that you are an inexperienced driver. Certain limitations apply as well.... lower alcohol limit for one. .02 is an offence for P platers.

Check out the website for The Department for Planning and Infrastructure for more specifics.

Tell your daughter good luck!

Siren
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

thanks claire,i ll have to see if i can check out these sites later i cant seem toclick onto, them my computer is playing up a bit,hows work today.

tracey.
Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

Tracey

I found this - hope its useful....?

We are looking into the same thing for Queensland for Steve as he wants to learn how to drive when we get there...

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11598252%255E1702,00.html
Queensland begins L-plate trial

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/0f122c06d5c309324a2565ca00059c43/5052d25a2bb421a94a256723000b4e1b?OpenDocument
Queensland Government Transport Dept
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:32 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks claire,i ll have to see if i can check out these sites later i cant seem toclick onto, them my computer is playing up a bit,hows work today.

tracey.
Its okay I guess but would rather been in Ashmore! LOLOLOL
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks hunny, thats very helpful, its quite different from in england isnt it?good idea about the p plates though.

tracey.
Originally Posted by Siren
Hi Tracey!

I just got my drivers licence here in Perth (no laughing that I waited til I was almost 30!) It is different than Canada and here's how;

1) You must be 17 to take the practical test.

2) You CAN get a learners permit at 16 in order to practice for your 17th birthday. You do this by passing the theory.

3) You can be taught by a parent, friend etc... as long as they have 2 years experience on a FULL licence. (Meaning not right after you get your P's off.)

4)Upon passing the practical, you still can't drive alone. You need to log a minimum of 25 hours of driving with an experienced driver in varied weather/traffic conditions.

5) Once the log book is done (and signed by a JP) you do a hazzard test (computer thingy that tests your reaction to different situations). When that is passed you get your P licence.

6) P's must be displayed on your car while driving for 2 years indicating that you are an inexperienced driver. Certain limitations apply as well.... lower alcohol limit for one. .02 is an offence for P platers.

Check out the website for The Department for Planning and Infrastructure for more specifics.

Tell your daughter good luck!

Siren