Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

icaew accountant starting the process very soon

icaew accountant starting the process very soon

Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Wilsonhaylie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default icaew accountant starting the process very soon

Hi all, my husband and I are hoping to submit our EOI in September (if accountants are still on the list next year!) and are going to spend the next few months getting our documentation together.

I scored 85 on the visa points calculator so I'm hoping that's enough to be invited to apply for an independent skilled visa.

I have done a fair bit of research and I know I have more to do but I was hoping I could ask some questions of fellow accountants who have already made the move about job prospects and qualifications.

I currently work in practise, although my role is mainly managements accounts, with 12 years experience and I am a qualified icaew member. I was wondering how much different the accounting is in Australia to the UK. I do management accounts and act as FD for clients and this is something I would like to do in Australia (I.e. I wouldn't want to work in practice so wouldn't be preparing statutory accounts or tax returns). Are accountancy skills learned in the UK transferable or will there need to be a significant step backwards? I wouldn't mind taking a backwards role for 6-12m in order to learn the Australian way before hopefully moving upwards.

My other question was salary expectations for accountancy jobs. I've looked at job postings online that I could easily do if they were in the UK with salary of $70-80 but is this reaching a bit seeing as I have no Australian experience? All answers (even if negative) would be much appreciated. As I said earlier I wouldn't mind taking a lower role and salary as a stepping stone to a similar role I do in the uk.

My final query is regarding my icaew qualification. Would I be able to apply to be a CPA and are there any cross over exams or processes involved? or is it a case of having my membership authenticated and then I can call myself a CPA?

Apologies for any typos I'm using my phone. Thanks in advance.

H
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: icaew accountant starting the process very soon

Originally Posted by Wilsonhaylie
Hi all, my husband and I are hoping to submit our EOI in September (if accountants are still on the list next year!) and are going to spend the next few months getting our documentation together.

I scored 85 on the visa points calculator so I'm hoping that's enough to be invited to apply for an independent skilled visa.

I have done a fair bit of research and I know I have more to do but I was hoping I could ask some questions of fellow accountants who have already made the move about job prospects and qualifications.

I currently work in practise, although my role is mainly managements accounts, with 12 years experience and I am a qualified icaew member. I was wondering how much different the accounting is in Australia to the UK. I do management accounts and act as FD for clients and this is something I would like to do in Australia (I.e. I wouldn't want to work in practice so wouldn't be preparing statutory accounts or tax returns). Are accountancy skills learned in the UK transferable or will there need to be a significant step backwards? I wouldn't mind taking a backwards role for 6-12m in order to learn the Australian way before hopefully moving upwards.

My other question was salary expectations for accountancy jobs. I've looked at job postings online that I could easily do if they were in the UK with salary of $70-80 but is this reaching a bit seeing as I have no Australian experience? All answers (even if negative) would be much appreciated. As I said earlier I wouldn't mind taking a lower role and salary as a stepping stone to a similar role I do in the uk.

My final query is regarding my icaew qualification. Would I be able to apply to be a CPA and are there any cross over exams or processes involved? or is it a case of having my membership authenticated and then I can call myself a CPA?

Apologies for any typos I'm using my phone. Thanks in advance.

H
Not sure about icaew as I have no idea what is. My wife is an Australian citizen living in the U.K. ( as am I) and has qualified as a CPA ( she did her degree in Oz and CPA modules in the UK).

I do know that CIMA recognises CPA and vice versa, however, she applied for CIMA recognition early Dec because the agreement is changing on Jan 31st ( I think)and if you don't apply for recognition before then, you have to take some extra exams. I don't know if this means that CIMA folks looking for CPA recognition have to do the same?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:05 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello H.

Maybe have a word with the Institute of CA's in Australia about becoming a CA in Australia?

When I became a member of the ICAA back in 2001 I had to do exams in Australian taxation and Australian company law, which I did via distance learning with the Uni of Southern Qld, and exams in London.

Best regards.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto, Alan, but I am fairly sure the study requirements were scrapped shortly after I did them in about 2008! The relevant info was easily found on their website when they were ICAA but I can't easily find anything at all on the new CA ANZ website, but as going the other way (CA ANZ --> ICAEW) is possible, you would hope it would work the same going ICAEW --> CA ANZ.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Don't bother with CPA - the ICAEW is held in very high regard (most of my UK friends din't have any issues).

Job market is tight - but if I get what you are saying is you work in what they call Business Advisory - advising clients, preparing management accounts - without getting involved in audit or tax. OH works in a CA firm and from recollection given your experience typically you would be expected to bring clients,or work as a manager. Quite possible to get a job at that level but could be handy if you work on having a network.

What city are you moving to?