Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Comparison of public and private school costs

Comparison of public and private school costs

Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparison of public and private school costs

Victoria's public schools to be most expensive in the country: report

Some figures for newcomers.

BTW, just delete cookies to continue accessing The Age.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison of public and private school costs

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Victoria's public schools to be most expensive in the country: report

Some figures for newcomers.

BTW, just delete cookies to continue accessing The Age.
Wow. I'm suprised at the cost of a public school. Might as well go private and enjoy the facilities, extra ciricular activities and if one chooses so, the business network beyond school.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter is just starting Grade 7, public, here in Melbourne. FYI for people looking for an idea of costs.

Fees so far: $1090 (I think there's more to come actually)
Camp: $370
Uniform so far (only the summer one, sports one and one pair of formal shoes): $768.95
BYOD Acer notebook (school is Windows, primary school was Mac): $857
Insurance for notebook: $99
Book Order: $497.14

Still need to buy the winter uniform...have nothing so far. I also think there might be some other excursions that have to be paid for as the year goes on. It's a nice sum for January, right when our rego is due as well :P

That figure in the Age works out to about $6400 per year (over 12 years), so I suppose that's possible once you factor in the excursions, transport costs, lunches, software not covered by the school, extra curricular activities, whatever.

Last edited by Japonica; Jan 17th 2017 at 10:44 am.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I still remember the shock of having to pay when we arrived. I hope that's a nice notebook for $857; I wouldn't spend that much on my own laptop. Did you google to see what the market-price was?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I still remember the shock of having to pay when we arrived. I hope that's a nice notebook for $857; I wouldn't spend that much on my own laptop. Did you google to see what the market-price was?
Yeah, I did. It was from the BYOD site and I looked at other options that were on the school list, and it was the second cheapest one. I'm hoping to get three years out of it. The school was recommending Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but there was definitely no room in the budget for that.

Considering we ended up forking out about $650 for the ipad back in Grade 5 (BYOD), I don't think going up $200 for high school is super excessive, but it definitely adds up.

Last edited by Japonica; Jan 17th 2017 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

I used to get a new pair of football boots for a good report. Nowadays, the kids get top-notch kit because the school mandates mum and dad buy it for them. Times have changed. I'm glad my kids are working.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

No kidding.

Well, mine definitely don't get top notch anything. The $1400 to $2000 tablet was just not on our list...