Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I want to live in Oz

I want to live in Oz

Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to live in Oz

Originally Posted by stevemich

I would imagine with the amount of asbestos in the old Fibro homes, it would be an expanding market for that skill.

Good luck!!

Steve
Your signature. I've had the same waist size since I was 16. Now I'm in my mid 30s. But I've still bulked up by 15 kilos. So must be doing something right!!

Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:15 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Your signature. I've had the same waist size since I was 16. Now I'm in my mid 30s. But I've still bulked up by 15 kilos. So must be doing something right!!

Don't brag!!

Drink Guinness, and that will soon change!!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe those who have said you're a bit of a big head are right
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:20 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

30 stone at 16...
thats a bugger..
as i understand it, asbestos hurts certain people, like smoking.
some people will never be affected by it and others will be..

depends on type tho.
my m8's dad died a very old man but used the worse kind of stuff when working as a pipe lagger..
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:26 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli
30 stone at 16...
thats a bugger..
as i understand it, asbestos hurts certain people, like smoking.
some people will never be affected by it and others will be..

depends on type tho.
my m8's dad died a very old man but used the worse kind of stuff when working as a pipe lagger..

If I remember correctly there are 3 types (brown, white & blue), with varying degrees of risk.
They all release extremely small fibres that lodge in the walls of the lungs, and do not degrade. Over time and repeated exposure this builds up to critical levels. I presume that if you are more "sensitive", these critical levels will be lower...*

*note: I am not an expert, and may not be 100% correct!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:35 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

thats as i understand it.
i used to be a fireman and we used to have to have full chemical protection suits and breathing sets too. then it was downgraded to our standard kit but still with the breathing apparatus (spelling soz) that was for white i think..
that was after ten years of just chucking it out the window

carbon fibre does the same thing (lodged in the lungs)
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:53 pm
Full Throttle

Originally Posted by chilli
thats as i understand it.
i used to be a fireman and we used to have to have full chemical protection suits and breathing sets too. then it was downgraded to our standard kit but still with the breathing apparatus (spelling soz) that was for white i think..
that was after ten years of just chucking it out the window

carbon fibre does the same thing (lodged in the lungs)

Legislation has improved the safety, however people are still unaware that Asbestos is found in many items they will have around the home (if they pre-date the banning of asbestos, which I think was in the mid eightys). Items can include Artex (the stuff that gives your ceiling a spikey finish), vinyl floor tiles, insulation (especially pipe lagging), old sheds/garages, roofs (where asbestos cement sheeting has been used) to name a few....
The legacy of asbestos, and the dangers therein, will be around for many years to come - and you do not have to be in an office or industiral unit to be at risk....
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:04 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

what a worrying thread,if only we knew then, what we know now..

i wonder in years to come what we will be saying about mobile phones.how many million men keep em in there pockets by their tender bits?

ast
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it the only real threat comes from blue and brown asbestos - the white form is different in kind.

There are unscrupulous companies in the UK who have been making hundreds of millions conning individuals and local authorities into spending fortunes removing asbestos when it is perfectly safe to leave alone or to remove with few precautions. Do a search.