Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I think the cat wants to stay here!

I think the cat wants to stay here!

Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:32 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think the cat wants to stay here!

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
......It made it all the worse for me when I had to give them to a friend when we realised it would be impractiable to take them to Oz with us.
I am sorry but that's not correct. We moved our eight year old cat from Lancashire to South Australia via a 30 day stay in quarantine in Melbourne and it was straightforward and not at all impractical.

It's costly sure, but if you want to take your first best friend outside other family members then I would recommend it because I feel my cat is so much more special to me because of the move he made at the same time as us. Yes you need to get organised but it is worth it when you are here and feeling isolated and homesick. Having your cat with you is an indescribable comfort.

And seeing his little cat box that we had shipped him in from the UK trundle across the tarmac at Adelaide Airport on his own dedicated trolley was a sight I will never forget!!!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:36 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im trying to find it.

Bridie, i am at the moment writing the expat story. You and Rooksie have wet t shirts. Im just trying to think who threw the water over you.
I think it was Three Legs who threw the water!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:37 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cybie
It helps if you dont give them dinner before you let them out. They soon come back then when hungry!
Tried that, it dont work

Ah well, she'll just have to learn and if need be become a house cat! Stiff biccies!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I know its a big upheaval for cats but I think they will settle in the end. I cant imagine leaving my 2 cats behind. I only tend to let them out when I am at home in the early evening and get them in before it gets dark. It helps if you dont give them dinner before you let them out. They soon come back then when hungry!
Bear in mind there are no light evenings like UK in Aus.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
Bear in mind there are no light evenings like UK in Aus.

What time does it get dark then!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

What time does it get dark then!
Hi Cybie,

Here in the tropics between 5.50 winter and 6.57pm in summer.

I think it gets darker earlier down South though.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Just you come along to my house in London and you can play with my Gordon.

Who incidently is leaving shed loads of ginger fur all over my chair.

And, he has had the wallpaper too, but I love him.
Meeoowww!!! Prrrrrrr!!!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rab
I am sorry but that's not correct. We moved our eight year old cat from Lancashire to South Australia via a 30 day stay in quarantine in Melbourne and it was straightforward and not at all impractical.

It's costly sure, but if you want to take your first best friend outside other family members then I would recommend it because I feel my cat is so much more special to me because of the move he made at the same time as us. Yes you need to get organised but it is worth it when you are here and feeling isolated and homesick. Having your cat with you is an indescribable comfort.

And seeing his little cat box that we had shipped him in from the UK trundle across the tarmac at Adelaide Airport on his own dedicated trolley was a sight I will never forget!!!

Aaawwww!!!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

OOOIwannagosoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
One of my sister's cats likes to terrorise the dogs by bringing a live snake into the house and leaving it in front of the dogs then walks out!!! My poor sister has to get them out with a broom and shovel.

OMG that's h o r r i f i c !
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:09 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
One of my sister's cats likes to terrorise the dogs by bringing a live snake into the house and leaving it in front of the dogs then walks out!!! My poor sister has to get them out with a broom and shovel.
:scared: :scared:
Note to self:- Cats are off the kids wish list when get to Australia.

Jo