Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I think the cat wants to stay here!

I think the cat wants to stay here!

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:25 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think the cat wants to stay here!

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
One of my sister's cats likes to terrorise the dogs by bringing a live snake into the house and leaving it in front of the dogs then walks out!!! My poor sister has to get them out with a broom and shovel.
Nice!!! That's something to look forward to then, Bridie!!!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:26 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

One of my sister's cats likes to terrorise the dogs by bringing a live snake into the house and leaving it in front of the dogs then walks out!!! My poor sister has to get them out with a broom and shovel.

That is a very good reason not to take ours - thanks for that Anne!! :scared: I'm sure our sweet little black cat would suffer intensely in the Queensland heat so we decided early on we wouldn't put her through that. Plus the quarantine and the journey itself, I'm sure she'll be happier to stay - am I trying to convince myself??
Cheers Sharon
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:28 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I think it's great, CAT'S REVENGE!!!! Hope you're feeling better Sharon
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:32 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyedwards
am I trying to convince myself??
Cheers Sharon
Sounds like it! But the decision about whether to take pets or not is a very personal one, and you know your animals better than anyone else, so ultimately you'll do what's best for them.

I feel very mean to be dragging mine halfway round the world with me but they are tough little blighters and they'll adjust just fine!

Nicky
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:35 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

I think it's great, CAT'S REVENGE!!!! Hope you're feeling better Sharon
The brandy certainly helped thanks Anne! Things seemed to have dryed up a bit this morning ..... oh sorry hope you're not eating breakfast, too much information!!

I can just imagine the purr and smug grin on your sisters moggy as she dumps the snake on the floor - classic!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:40 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Sounds like it! But the decision about whether to take pets or not is a very personal one, and you know your animals better than anyone else, so ultimately you'll do what's best for them.

I feel very mean to be dragging mine halfway round the world with me but they are tough little blighters and they'll adjust just fine!

Nicky
Thanks Nicky I know we're doing the right thing by leaving her, upsetting as it's going to be! I'm sure your cats will do just fine & probably most peoples would, it's just I know my sensitive thing would hate all of it.
Cheers Sharon
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:41 am
Professional Princess

My cat Gordon is coming with us to Australia.

He will be an indoor cat unless we can buy one of those cat chalets and cat proof the garden.

I have very strong opinions as a veterinary nurse that cats should be kept in in Australia.

I know its nature for them to hunt and even when people think that their cat 'would never chase birds' I bet they do because its instinct to do so.

And I think there is nothing sadder than seeing the damage a cat can do to exotic birds and Aussie native wildlife.

There was a post on here months ago where someone said her cat had caught a glossy black cockatoo, which made me feel sick.

They are not native and they will and do destroy the native wildlife as they are not use to cats as their predators.

Rare species of marsupial on kangaroo island are under threat because of the wild cat population.

If you live in an area where wildlife isnt an issue then its different but where they have the Aussie wildlife, then I would rather catproof the garden and let them have the confines of that than to let my cat hunt parrots etc.

Someone on here posted a fab link on how to fence your garden to catproof it, thats what we are going to do. I wouldnt have to worry about Gordon getting attacked by any larger animal or getting run over.

He is an indoor cat now mind, and I do appreciate that it could be hard to keep cats locked inside when in Oz.

But better that than if you do move to an area with an abundance of wildlife, letting your cat hunt it.

Just my opinion and not meant to upset anyone.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:43 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello - gill here

Most people we know in Cairns who have cats, are 'in door' cats, meaning they hardly ever venture out! Due to the climate and other nasties, not just the human kind

We decided to give our three beautiful cats up beccause of this, did not think it was fair to expect them to get used to such intense heat and poisonous creatures. We thought we would never forgive ourselves if they came all this way and died because of some unfortunate meeting with one of the nasties!!

I know what you mean about intuition, our little lady cat, the look on her face was so spiritual - it said, I know why you are doing this, and I understand - if was awesome - cried my eyes out at the time

We know they are happy with their new owners and that means a lot to us.

Take care - give your cat a kiss from us

Gill
Cats love the heat, the hotter the better. Regarding " nasties" Cats are the biggest nasties in OZ , they have wiped out more native species then anything else.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My cat Gordon is coming with us to Australia.

He will be an indoor cat unless we can buy one of those cat chalets and cat proof the garden.

I have very strong opinions as a veterinary nurse that cats should be kept in in Australia.

I know its nature for them to hunt and even when people think that their cat 'would never chase birds' I bet they do because its instinct to do so.

And I think there is nothing sadder than seeing the damage a cat can do to exotic birds and Aussie native wildlife.

There was a post on here months ago where someone said her cat had caught a glossy black cockatoo, which made me feel sick.

They are not native and they will and do destroy the native wildlife as they are not use to cats as their predators.

Rare species of marsupial on kangaroo island are under threat because of the wild cat population.

If you live in an area where wildlife isnt an issue then its different but where they have the Aussie wildlife, then I would rather catproof the garden and let them have the confines of that than to let my cat hunt parrots etc.

Someone on here posted a fab link on how to fence your garden to catproof it, thats what we are going to do. I wouldnt have to worry about Gordon getting attacked by any larger animal or getting run over.

He is an indoor cat now mind, and I do appreciate that it could be hard to keep cats locked inside when in Oz.

But better that than if you do move to an area with an abundance of wildlife, letting your cat hunt it.

Just my opinion and not meant to upset anyone.
I agree wholeheartedly, PP, my cats are both indoor cats.

And I don't get out much these days...
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
Cats love the heat, the hotter the better. Regarding " nasties" Cats are the biggest nasties in OZ , they have wiped out more native species then anything else.

Oooh, I don't think so.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:51 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by wombat42

Totally agree there Wombat.

Many people really believe their cat wouldnt do such a thing. But cats behaviour is not monitored all the time.

And people also think they dont hunt in the day, so are let out in the day, but night time hunting is not exclusive in cat behaviour.

Keep them in, de-sex them and be a responsible owner if you are going to bring them to Australia.

Its the ones that say 'Im going to let her have a litter or Its cruel to castrate a male cat' they are the ones that get me.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:54 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Do you have the link Sam?

if not I'll try a search.

I was looking for something like that, would rather cat proof the whole garden, or a large section of it
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:55 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by TopCat3
I agree wholeheartedly, PP, my cats are both indoor cats.

And I don't get out much these days...

Just you come along to my house in London and you can play with my Gordon.

Who incidently is leaving shed loads of ginger fur all over my chair.

And, he has had the wallpaper too, but I love him.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:57 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by bridiej
Do you have the link Sam?

if not I'll try a search.

I was looking for something like that, would rather cat proof the whole garden, or a large section of it

Im trying to find it.

Bridie, i am at the moment writing the expat story. You and Rooksie have wet t shirts. Im just trying to think who threw the water over you.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

I know its a big upheaval for cats but I think they will settle in the end. I cant imagine leaving my 2 cats behind. I only tend to let them out when I am at home in the early evening and get them in before it gets dark. It helps if you dont give them dinner before you let them out. They soon come back then when hungry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.