Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I still have a UK bank account

I still have a UK bank account

Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:41 am
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I still have a UK bank account

Reading the article on this site, Survey on British Expats Keeping Open a UK Bank Account. I still have a UK bank account, I did not tell my bank I was moving overseas, so I did not have any problems.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I still have a UK bank account

I've two bank accounts in the UK, both have my Australian address. The only problems I've had have been related to the banks offshoring their admin rather than me being overseas. By them having my correct address I don't have to rely on someone else forwarding new cards etc.

Additionally as they know I live in Australia I have less risk of the bank putting a block on my card being used in Australia as they won't think it has been cloned/stolen which can happen if they think you are in the UK and see overseas spending patterns.

Last edited by spottydog; Dec 27th 2010 at 11:01 pm. Reason: added bits
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

My UK bank has my Australian address, but then, they are happy about it...

HSBC said they operate a home/host/offshore policy whereby expats were encouraged to keep their HSBC UK account, but also advised to open a HSBC account in the country they are resident in as well as an offshore account

Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: I still have a UK bank account

Originally Posted by blamington
Reading the article on this site, Survey on British Expats Keeping Open a UK Bank Account. I still have a UK bank account, I did not tell my bank I was moving overseas, so I did not have any problems.
Told my bank I'd overseas for the next year and they were fine with it. Didn't tell them I'd not be back though lol. Has been very helpful having the UK bank account open.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Had a UK bank account with an Aus address for over 30 years and never had any problems with them at all until my recent debit card needed to be renewed and it hadnt arrived before I left the country for a trip home - I thought it would have arrived a couple of weeks before the old one expired but it didnt. NO hassle though, I just went to the branch and told my tale of woe and they had a new one sent to the branch for me to collect. Cannot praise the Co-op bank enough, they have been fabulous!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:33 am
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point

A Better Way to Bank? There's a Credit Union for That!

A credit union is a cooperative financial institution that is owned and controlled by its members and operated for the purpose of promoting thrift, providing credit at reasonable rates, and providing other financial services to its members.

creditunionsonline.com
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:38 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with my bank months before I moved out here for good and told them what I was doing. I do have a U.K. income so maybe that helps. But I can't see why there should be any problems.

Annual statements, tax advice and new debit card all arrive with no problem.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:01 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My UK bank has my Australian address, but then, they are happy about it...
Same here. Mine was fine with me keeping it open while in Australia. My bank understood I still have assets in the UK which need me to have a UK bank account.

Only thing to remember is that if you are transferring large sums of money home and this creates interest (i.e. not using it to pay off bills) then you will need to declare any interest for tax purposes.