Reload this Page >

I need your help

I need your help

Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

lynnes is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I need your help

Hi everyone
I'm a newbie here, so would really appreciate your help.we are just about to start our migration process. I am a nurse (51 years young) and we are looking to move to Brisbane. what we need to know is what are the best areas close enough to commute easily to brisbane, and what areas to avoid. Are we doing the right thing, what is the cost of living etc etc. We are hoping to go through a health care agency who will keep us informed of the whole process but i would really like to hear from people who have made the move and how easy/difficult it was. If i can believe the agency we could be there by next July (gulp)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need your help

Originally Posted by lynnes
We are hoping to go through a health care agency who will keep us informed of the whole process
Is the agency going to get you a permanent visa? Or just a temporary one?
At age 51, it's an important distinction.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:08 am
Just Joined

lynnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is the agency going to get you a permanent visa? Or just a temporary one?
At age 51, it's an important distinction.
Thanks for your reply,
A temporoary one, then the hospital i will be working in can then apply for permenant residency after 2 years. They dont seem to think it will too much of a problem. I can stay on this visa for 4 years (i think) then apply for another. I am going to the expo next weekend so should get some more answers then. I keep looking on internet for places to live but cant get a grip on the distance between the outskirts of Brisbane to the centre an i cant find anywhere that gives commuting times.
lynne
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:13 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

You could try www.translink.com.au this allows you to do a journey planner.

We live 9kms out in Wavell Heights and it takes us 20mins to get in on the train. I can also get to the RBWH in 15 - 20 by car and the Mater mothers hospital in 20 - 25mins by car. it does all depend on traffic and at certain times it could take an hour to get across the city to the mater.

Hope this helps a little

Jo

It isnt cheap to live here we are finding prices have gone up dramatically since we left in 2005 and we now shop at Aldi as will not pay the monopoly their high prices.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
You could try www.translink.com.au this allows you to do a journey planner.

We live 9kms out in Wavell Heights and it takes us 20mins to get in on the train. I can also get to the RBWH in 15 - 20 by car and the Mater mothers hospital in 20 - 25mins by car. it does all depend on traffic and at certain times it could take an hour to get across the city to the mater.

Hope this helps a little

Jo

It isnt cheap to live here we are finding prices have gone up dramatically since we left in 2005 and we now shop at Aldi as will not pay the monopoly their high prices.
Another good site for distances and routes is http://www.whereis.com.au/
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnes
Thanks for your reply,
A temporoary one, then the hospital i will be working in can then apply for permenant residency after 2 years. They dont seem to think it will too much of a problem. I can stay on this visa for 4 years (i think) then apply for another. I am going to the expo next weekend so should get some more answers then. I keep looking on internet for places to live but cant get a grip on the distance between the outskirts of Brisbane to the centre an i cant find anywhere that gives commuting times.
lynne
They don't have to wait 2 years before they can sponsor you. Many employers seem to either think this or find it convienient to say this. There are three routes for the ENS one being the 2 year wait, another being a skills assessment, another being highly paid.

Take a look on http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../ens/index.htm

And then theres the RSMS if the work is in a regional area at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...rsms/index.htm
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice

My wife is a nurse, we went over in Jan to meet with an agency that made lots of fantastic promises, when we got to their office in Brisbane they basically said who are you, and then came out with a lot of excuses why they were unable to find her a place. So we drove round some private hospitals IE Ramsey healthcare and the 4 Hospitals we went to, as good as gave her a job on the spot with sponsorship. We are going out at the end of Nov and my wife plans to start work in Jan. My wife is just turned 47 and has been a registered for 26 years. They were happy to sponsor her and all the family.
If we had our time again we would just go over and apply and wait for the sponsorship to come through. It only took about 12 weeks over here. I think things would be even quicker if you were there. One thing get your state registration first thats the most important thing, I think you could almost start straight away if you have that.