Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i love my country

i love my country

Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:28 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bryank
No. Do you?

So what did you mean by this:

"3rd world immigrants have already adversely affected our economy & crime rates, so I'm worried about what's going to happen even if you're not."
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
GDP may have increased, but unfrtunately, so have our imprts. We are now importing more than we are exporting, so what does that tell you about our manufacturing? We also work some of the longest hours in Europe as well, and it is a case of working longer hours because we have to. Could we all afford an average of 10-15 hour a week paycut if we fell into line with the EU? I don't think so. The more we work, the more we're taxed and the more the government spends our more on the things we don't want it to, so the more we work and the more we're taxed...........
Welcome to Australia bugger me reading your post you have just summed it up.
The more you whinge the bigger prat you become , the UK exports far more than Australia in services and goods , only thing Australia exports more of is rocks and food.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:37 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Welcome to Australia bugger me reading your post you have just summed it up.
The more you whinge the bigger prat you become , the UK exports far more than Australia in services and goods , only thing Australia exports more of is rocks and food.

[Q]....only thing Australia exports more of is rocks....[/U]

Like the one's in your head?

I would expect the UK to export more than Aus. It has three times the population! Just to re-cap, because I know you don't read the full post, I wasn't comparing the UK to OZ. OK?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:42 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[Q]....only thing Australia exports more of is rocks....[/U]

Like the one's in your head?

I would expect the UK to export more than Aus. It has three times the population! Just to re-cap, because I know you don't read the full post, I wasn't comparing the UK to OZ. OK?
No because again you would make Australia look second best , I wonder if you are any good at either hole digging or sheep farming?

Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:43 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

As much as I enjoy the banter, my question stands. I treat economists and their language with contempt. I have sought to understand the "science" as they will call it, but I have failed.

The question I have is:

"What is the REAL impact of GDP per capita growth"?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

No because again you would make Australia look second best , I wonder if you are any good at either hole digging or sheep farming?

Cherry picking anyone?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:49 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Ah, but the productivity of Australia will jump 5 fold when you leave, "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste". Don't boast about the apparent higher GDP in the UK, it will soon fall again on your return.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:50 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Ah, but the productivity of Australia will jump 5 fold when you leave, "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste", "Sit-on-my-arse, Copy-and-paste". Don't boast about the apparent higher GDP in the UK, it will soon fall again on your return.
Good pasting old saus!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:51 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Cherry picking anyone?
Those SILLY, AUSSIE, TASTY "only in season when in season" cherries or those new BIG, FAT, JUICY, IMPORTED Californian cheeries?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:57 am
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
Those SILLY, AUSSIE, TASTY "only in season when in season" cherries or those new BIG, FAT, JUICY, IMPORTED Californian cheeries?
Harvest Trail - Crop Details - Cherries

Pick your own Cherries
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:14 am
Banned

True the wet sods have me contract wages this week more dosh down the drain.
The rubber dollar looks good from this end , pity about your squids.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

I formed my opinion by living in Oz for 5 years and now happy to be home in England. I also have an aussie wife and whilst she loves australia she understands that england is where the opportunities exist.

I always laugh when an aussie tells me how they are and yours is a typical example "non-pretencious, honest, hard working and positive people". I guess I am one of the few that has actually seen the true aussies in their own environment as I actually lived and worked and breathed in oz for nearly 5 years not just a short holiday or an action packed gap year. I found ozzies to be full of this type of contradiction quick to tell me how great they are but never living up to the hype. I met few aussies that i would ever class as friends all were mostly shallow, vain, struggling to achieve and would resort to anything to get one up on their fellow man. The oz fair go attitude is just a myth in my view as we witnessed very little of this - it was mostly cut throat and conflicts in every area.

I think Oz has a very powerful class system and compared to the current UK it is far worse. Not only does Oz have the old boy old power family thing which is rife in such a small market place it also has the US system side by side where money buys you class. We found ozzies totally obsessed with money and at work most spent all their days trying to prove how much better off they were then you. We found it very sad.

Since we have been back in the UK that sense of conflict we found everywhere in Oz just does'nt exist here. As you say people are funny here but happy to look outwardly at different opportunities like moving overseas. We have spoken to employers here that are happy we have been working overseas whereas in Oz any foreigners are treated as second class citizens and overseas experience is treated with contempt unless of course you are an ozzie then thats different.

Oz is a white ozzie alpha male country and needs to change to be accepted by the rest of the world as anything other than a holiday destination. Its not multi cultural because it demands its migrants to adopt white ozzie alpha male attitudes and opinions and there is little tolerance for diversity. Look at all the greeks in Melbourne and Darwin, the biggest group of migrants, they are isolated in their communities and most ozzies are happy with that. Don't mix with the foreigners, and thats the attitiude when you travel - all oz backpackers tend to live in the same area packed into little houses, drink at ozzie pubs and seek out ozzie food. London is full of ozzie pubs now and the walkabout chain has spread throughout the country to accomodate all the ozzie backpackers desire not to integrate.

I can understand why you are happier in Oz because you are an ozzie but don't go presuming that despite what English people may say out of politeness and respect for you that they would also prefer to live in your country.

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Captaincook,

I can draw my own opinions and don't need the lonely planet to tell me anything. When I say something, im not repeating what friends have said, or whats popular myth i've researched it and made my own my mind up.

You draw some pretty harsh conclusions based on what appears to be very little knowledge of Australia and its people. I would describe Australians as non-pretencious, honest, hard working and positive people. To say you've met one Aussie, then you've met them all is a sweeping generalisation. If you bothered to look Australia is a multi-cultural society made up of many different ethnic groups, its not a white middle class country by any means.

We also don't pretend we are a super power, or a major player in the world because we know we aren't. We don't have a class system, and whether your wearing a suit or t-shirt and flip flops your treated as an equal. We are the underdogs, and we like it that way. But yes I would say we are a super country, definately. We don't have nukes pointed at us, kids are safe in our schools, we have great weather, you don't need to be rich to live a great life, and we have 2 cities listed in the top 10 cities in the world to live.

The standard respone I recieved from any Briton I met when they learnt my nationality is "What the hell are you doing here". I haven't met one Brit that didn't love Australia who'd actually been there. I appreciate the experiences i've had in England, and given the chance I would always come back to visit. But to live, i'd choose Australian in a heartbeat.

James
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

bryank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
So what did you mean by this:

"3rd world immigrants have already adversely affected our economy & crime rates, so I'm worried about what's going to happen even if you're not."
Illegal immigrants overly contribute to crime stats & unemployment. Simple fact.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Meridian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bryank
Illegal immigrants overly contribute to crime stats & unemployment. Simple fact.
I am glad I live in the most ethnically diverse city in the world i.e. London. You should see the article in the Economist Byrank. But then again Byrank I can see why Australia would suit you.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 10:01 am
Banned

Originally posted by captaincook
I formed my opinion by living in Oz for 5 years and now happy to be home in England. I also have an aussie wife and whilst she loves australia she understands that england is where the opportunities exist.

I always laugh when an aussie tells me how they are and yours is a typical example "non-pretencious, honest, hard working and positive people". I guess I am one of the few that has actually seen the true aussies in their own environment as I actually lived and worked and breathed in oz for nearly 5 years not just a short holiday or an action packed gap year. I found ozzies to be full of this type of contradiction quick to tell me how great they are but never living up to the hype. I met few aussies that i would ever class as friends all were mostly shallow, vain, struggling to achieve and would resort to anything to get one up on their fellow man. The oz fair go attitude is just a myth in my view as we witnessed very little of this - it was mostly cut throat and conflicts in every area.

I think Oz has a very powerful class system and compared to the current UK it is far worse. Not only does Oz have the old boy old power family thing which is rife in such a small market place it also has the US system side by side where money buys you class. We found ozzies totally obsessed with money and at work most spent all their days trying to prove how much better off they were then you. We found it very sad.

Since we have been back in the UK that sense of conflict we found everywhere in Oz just does'nt exist here. As you say people are funny here but happy to look outwardly at different opportunities like moving overseas. We have spoken to employers here that are happy we have been working overseas whereas in Oz any foreigners are treated as second class citizens and overseas experience is treated with contempt unless of course you are an ozzie then thats different.

Oz is a white ozzie alpha male country and needs to change to be accepted by the rest of the world as anything other than a holiday destination. Its not multi cultural because it demands its migrants to adopt white ozzie alpha male attitudes and opinions and there is little tolerance for diversity. Look at all the greeks in Melbourne and Darwin, the biggest group of migrants, they are isolated in their communities and most ozzies are happy with that. Don't mix with the foreigners, and thats the attitiude when you travel - all oz backpackers tend to live in the same area packed into little houses, drink at ozzie pubs and seek out ozzie food. London is full of ozzie pubs now and the walkabout chain has spread throughout the country to accomodate all the ozzie backpackers desire not to integrate.

I can understand why you are happier in Oz because you are an ozzie but don't go presuming that despite what English people may say out of politeness and respect for you that they would also prefer to live in your country.
Interesting take. You Brit Alpha Male? How long your dong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.