Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Love Adelaide!!

I Love Adelaide!!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by podgypossum
I dont understand, or see the point of this arguement. Adelaide is a city, just like any other city..of course its gonna have its problems (not that ive noticed many so far, maybe i'm not looking hard enough!!) but as for uni studens, we have been living right opposite the university. I have seen many different kinds of folk there. So what!!

BTW.. just as a useless piece of info...the university has some beautiful old victorian buildings... in fact, many of the buildings in this city remind me of ones in London. Very ornate, i saw one hotel with a sign saying "established 1847"
Agreed.

As I said in another thread, I really just wanted to share my own experience of going from being totally in love with the place to gradually becoming disillusioned with it as I got to know more about it. Unfortunately it seems to have become a bit of a personal vendetta.

BTW I have no issue with who goes to University in Adelaide. All I was trying to point out is that the vast majority of South Australians don't go to University.

As for my source - The Adelaide Advertiser.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sunlover
I really just wanted to share my own experience of going from being totally in love with the place to gradually becoming disillusioned with it as I got to know more about it
BYE
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:02 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by evorobin
BYE
another nice narrowed minded individual who doesnt like people expressing their own opinion. what do you care if it hasnt worked out for them there. it doesnt impact on your life one bit does it. so why do you feel you need to be so rude?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
another nice narrowed minded individual who doesnt like people expressing their own opinion. what do you care if it hasnt worked out for them there. it doesnt impact on your life one bit does it. so why do you feel you need to be so rude?
i'm not but I live here and I appreciate the parts that aren't in the eastern Suburbs. What do you think of Adelaide btw?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:25 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

i liked it when i stayed there. my ex g/f is from adelaide. we were together 18 months and lived together for 8 of those months. this was in england btw but i did visit earlier in the year for 3 weeks. i liked lots of things about it such as the restaurants, the sea, the hills, how clean, the lack of congestion, the air, the housing, the openess, cafes, the parklands, the river, the bay, the pubs and some of the clubs even the schutzen fest i liked.

but coming from london and only being 27 i thought it would be too small for me to ever settle there. maybe i would have done if i had stayed with my g/f but the fact that she has been in england for over three now with two of those years spent in london says a lot about what i want from a city. i didnt dislike it i just didnt think it was for me.

i know what you mean about people from the eastern suburbs saying bad things about the rest of adelaide. my ex was a total snob in that sense as well as being racist (in her own ((not mine)) socially acceptable way). living in birmingham where it is projected that the number of ethnic minority residents is going to outnumber whites in about 20 years i saw this a very narrow minded attitude to have. i dont think i could handle the white dominance of white australians. from memory even greeks and italians came in for a hard time. sorry that is second hand and please correct me if i am wrong.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

sorry that is second hand and please correct me if i am wrong.
No most of what you have said is correct but the problem with adelaide is the "cosmopolitan" aspect. Bloody snobs everywhere that ruin it for lots of people by writing wank about Graffiti (I've not found it a problem tbh) and pointing out all the minor stuff that is normal elsewhere!

We went to Melbourne in Feb and hired a flat in St Kilder and it was great but SO dirty and full of junkies. How dare people give Adelelaide a bad name when other places MAKE it seem so perfect by comparison. Upsetting is an understatement.

And yes I have been to EVERY continent on this planet by the age of 26 so I should know my stuff
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

No most of what you have said is correct but the problem with adelaide is the "cosmopolitan" aspect. Bloody snobs everywhere that ruin it for lots of people by writing wank about Graffiti (I've not found it a problem tbh) and pointing out all the minor stuff that is normal elsewhere!

We went to Melbourne in Feb and hired a flat in St Kilder and it was great but SO dirty and full of junkies. How dare people give Adelelaide a bad name when other places MAKE it seem so perfect by comparison. Upsetting is an understatement.

And yes I have been to EVERY continent on this planet by the age of 26 so I should know my stuff

THe thing is: comparison!

BUt it doesn't matter comparing. If THEY are unhappy/it isn't up to expectation, then that's it, there's nothing you're gonna say that'll make it better.

Of course, one person's view isn't the opinion of everybody, but they realise that, and usually/hopefully all others realise that too.
I think people posting about grafitti and stuff is good, even if it's worse in Melbourne for example. Because SOME people do seem to wear rose tinted glasses, and think Australia is paradise. And because of these posts, people might be a bit more realistic.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

BYE
How mature. Actually wasn't speaking to you anyway.

You obviously have a MEGA chip on your little shoulder re. my comment about the Eastern Suburbs being the best place to live in.

Just because I happen to have a preference of place to live (as anyone else would) why does that automatically equate to my being a snob or disliking the rest of Adelaide???

Grow up.

(BTW - how did you enjoy Antarctica ?)

Last edited by Sunlover; Dec 4th 2003 at 6:34 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

i know what you mean about people from the eastern suburbs saying bad things about the rest of adelaide. my ex was a total snob in that sense as well as being racist (in her own ((not mine)) socially acceptable way). living in birmingham where it is projected that the number of ethnic minority residents is going to outnumber whites in about 20 years i saw this a very narrow minded attitude to have. i dont think i could handle the white dominance of white australians. from memory even greeks and italians came in for a hard time. sorry that is second hand and please correct me if i am wrong.
Yes Adelaide residents, like any others, can be small minded and racist as our mate EGOrobin has demonstrated with his complaint about the "Cosmoplitan Effect." !

There is even a certain amount of resistance towards people from "Interstate" or "O/S" as they so charmingly put it.

Yes Greeks and Italians do come in for a bashing. I went to a pub with work colleagues on Saturday night and two of the girls were complaining about " All the Italians here". One them said "Where are the Ozzies ??" It seemed to have failed to come to their attention that the "Italians" are as "Ozzie" as they are having lived here for several generations, and it seems they've also forgotten that all non aboriginal Australians are immigrants.

And no, despite the fact that I live in the "Eastern Suburbs" this does NOT make me a snob, a racist or anything close to it. In fact that in itself is pretty discriminatory.

Last edited by Sunlover; Dec 4th 2003 at 6:59 am.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Ahem..oh dear..not good vibes in here right now.... never mind i'll try to brighten it up...

Been out on a lovely drive with hubby this afternoon. Discovered a beautiful little village up in the hills. No one can come to Adelaide and not visit Hahndorf. Beautiful olde worlde village, full of antique shops, art galleries, and great pubs and restaurants. Really enjoyed our afternoon up there and such a lovely, sunny, blue sky day too!!
Old Dec 6th 2003, 9:30 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi PP,

I also loved Hahndorf when I visited there last year while staying with my sister.

It was so pretty and there were some unusual little shops - everyone was very friendly and willing to explain a bit about their village/family history/business. We could have spent ages there if we'd stopped to hear the full story!

Another spot I found really interesting was the "whispering wall" dam - have you been there yet? Can't remember the name of the reservoir offhand but the curvature of the dam means that sound waves travel along it so you can speak quietly at one end and be heard really clearly at the other - amazing!

Elaine
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:59 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default adelaide

Originally posted by podgypossum
hello again.. another update for you

we have found a house to rent in Glenelg...its a lovely old sandstone house with high ceilings and chandaliers. I love this part of Adelaide. We are right by the tram stop at the end of Jetty Road if anyone wants to pop in for coffee..LOL

Went for a very late night drive into the city last night to see how lively it is (daughter in London needs to know for her visit!!!) I was amazed at how busy it was at 2am. There were even restaurants in china town still open for business. Of course i couldnt just pass by without trying some... we had a great chinese meal sitting outside watching the young and the restless enjoying their Saturday night out. There were heaps of nightclubs, but also bars still open which surprised me.

oh BTW..we have bought the cutest puppy in the world...her name is Honey, and boy is she a good way to meet new people!!! Everywhere we go people stop to say hello...could be a good tip for those feeling a bit lonely!

ok..off to the beach for a morning walk..bye for now
hi pp have`nt been on for a while but i`m pleased i made the effort this morning. i`m glad to hear everything is working out for you and yours and that you have found suitable accomadation .we (my family and i) are also looking to go to adelaide next year (currently awaiting docs to be certified for tra)once we get these application fasttracked 28days we hope, anyway keep posting and smiling wengerboy and co
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi PP,

I also loved Hahndorf when I visited there last year while staying with my sister.

It was so pretty and there were some unusual little shops - everyone was very friendly and willing to explain a bit about their village/family history/business. We could have spent ages there if we'd stopped to hear the full story!

Another spot I found really interesting was the "whispering wall" dam - have you been there yet? Can't remember the name of the reservoir offhand but the curvature of the dam means that sound waves travel along it so you can speak quietly at one end and be heard really clearly at the other - amazing!

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

We shall try to find the reservoir, sounds great!! We shall definitely put Hahndorf on our list of places to go again.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: adelaide

Originally posted by wengerboy
hi pp have`nt been on for a while but i`m pleased i made the effort this morning. i`m glad to hear everything is working out for you and yours and that you have found suitable accomadation .we (my family and i) are also looking to go to adelaide next year (currently awaiting docs to be certified for tra)once we get these application fasttracked 28days we hope, anyway keep posting and smiling wengerboy and co

Hi Wengerboy,

Thanx for your kind thoughts..we shall keep the coffee pot brewing for when you arrive!