Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I KNOW ITS OLD BUT WHICH SHIPPING COMPANY

I KNOW ITS OLD BUT WHICH SHIPPING COMPANY

Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:16 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default I KNOW ITS OLD BUT WHICH SHIPPING COMPANY

HI, I really hope you can help me, i am currently analysing four quotes to ship our goods to Aus and so far Whites are well ahead offering cheapest cost and 8 weeks free storage at this end. Has anybody used them and what was the outcome? Are they good or bad?

Hope some of you can take the time to give me the info.

Thanks
Blossom
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I KNOW ITS OLD BUT WHICH SHIPPING COMPANY

Originally Posted by Blossom
HI, I really hope you can help me, i am currently analysing four quotes to ship our goods to Aus and so far Whites are well ahead offering cheapest cost and 8 weeks free storage at this end. Has anybody used them and what was the outcome? Are they good or bad?

Hope some of you can take the time to give me the info.

Thanks
Blossom
Out of interest, why would you want two months storage that end? Whites have come up quite a few times over the years and have a reasonably good rep. Obviously every shipper has it's shite moments but unfortunately it's impossible to tell until they've cocked up. Go with your gut reaction to the service they've provided so far. Cheapest is not necessarily the way to go though, especially if they're a fair way cheaper. We haven't had a good run of shipping threads for a long time so all search info will be old. Can't even think of many recent arrivees so good luck. As I say, for the most part you can only go with your gut.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Well we are recent arrivees but too recent. But so far the professionalism shown by Crown and the work done by the packers was spot on so can't fault them. But of course the major part is when it turns up, the state it's in and the job they do on the day.

Can't wait for it mind. I need my PS3
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We just had Robinsons in for the last 2 days and have been so pleased with everything they have done. I would not hesitate in recommending them.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:33 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend a shipping company whose name is similar to a supermarket chain. Was assured by their rep that we could rest assured it wouldn't happen with them but several of our DVDs and computer games were pilfered by their packing crew. I have other gripes about the agents they used Aus-side but the thieving grates me the most.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:39 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Out of interest, why would you want two months storage that end? Whites have come up quite a few times over the years and have a reasonably good rep. Obviously every shipper has it's shite moments but unfortunately it's impossible to tell until they've cocked up. Go with your gut reaction to the service they've provided so far. Cheapest is not necessarily the way to go though, especially if they're a fair way cheaper. We haven't had a good run of shipping threads for a long time so all search info will be old. Can't even think of many recent arrivees so good luck. As I say, for the most part you can only go with your gut.
The reason why storage is important is that we have no idea where we will base ourselves. We initially will stay with our daughter in Wollongong, but after that, we had hoped to relocate to Lower Hunter but where we do not know - and it all depends on if and when either hubby or myself get jobs. So much in the air, but we have sold our house and have to move out end of October so am trying to accommodate for evert eventuality. If 8 weeks storage is what we will need then if its free that is a bonus, if we manage to sort ourselves out within that time, we can cancel the storage and get our stuff on its way. Rather have 8 weeks storage in UK for free than pay at the other end.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:42 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Originally Posted by steen1976
Well we are recent arrivees but too recent. But so far the professionalism shown by Crown and the work done by the packers was spot on so can't fault them. But of course the major part is when it turns up, the state it's in and the job they do on the day.

Can't wait for it mind. I need my PS3
Have to admit Crown were the dearest of all our quotes and so far they too have now come to the party re storage. Although they are still just under £2000 dearer than the cheapest quote we have had. They do include aqis fees but they are only $400, yet they say they are between $500 and $700 ! They were more expensive for insurance too.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Quote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really nice

I'm looking for a company to shift a box or two, maybe 20kg to 40kg max each. Just stuff like cutlery, first aid kit, pots & pans, iron, excess clothes....

I think it will be cheaper to ship little bits & bobs like this over rather than buy everything new in Oz?

Sheffild to Melbourne btw. Any suggestions?

Ta
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quote
I'm looking for a company to shift a box or two, maybe 20kg to 40kg max each. Just stuff like cutlery, first aid kit, pots & pans, iron, excess clothes....

I think it will be cheaper to ship little bits & bobs like this over rather than buy everything new in Oz?

Sheffild to Melbourne btw. Any suggestions?

Ta
Have a look at Seven Seas, or www.wedelivertheworld.com
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Quote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really niceQuote is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look at Seven Seas, or www.wedelivertheworld.com
^^ Thank you!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:29 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom
Have to admit Crown were the dearest of all our quotes and so far they too have now come to the party re storage. Although they are still just under £2000 dearer than the cheapest quote we have had. They do include aqis fees but they are only $400, yet they say they are between $500 and $700 ! They were more expensive for insurance too.
You're not abliged to take out the shipping company's insurance. Have a look at Letton Percival & Co Ltd. They're by far the cheapest.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
You're not abliged to take out the shipping company's insurance. Have a look at Letton Percival & Co Ltd. They're by far the cheapest.
And they are who most of the shippers use anyway, you just cut out the middleman.