Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I was just wondering?

I was just wondering?

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I was just wondering?

Originally posted by invictia
Jan,

Rob is also at HMAS Cerberus, been there since April, he is an ET, actually at home on leave this week, flying back on Saturday, will be home again for Xmas for a month. What General Entry No was your hubby? Rob was 205 - Graduated 11 July
Hi invictia, My hubby just joined 6 weeks ago but he was in the British navy for 24 yrs so he is just doin some re-training before he heads off on the Hmas Canberra. in Perth..He probably wont come across your son, he is a communicator and Cerberus is a huge place.....But you never know its a small world. He stands out like a sore thumb with his british accent , we are from a city in the North East of England called Sunderland.Jan Hutchinson
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:19 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I've read many threads on the forums over the past few weeks, and everyone who is moving, planning to move, has moved.........to a city, or near one! Is there anyone on the board who has moved to rural or remote australia like me? I am on the far west coast of South Australia, 5 hrs from big supermarkets like Woolies and Coles, no KFC, Maccas, Red Rooster etc., (although we do have a great Chinese in Town). I was priviledged last year to witness the Solar Eclipse here in Ceduna and I wouldn't live anywhere else, just wondering where you all hailed from and if anyone else was a "bushie" like me!
We have very mild winters, 40+ degree heat in the summer and warm spring and autumn weather. Kids go to a small area school that only has 500 pupils in it.
The only 2 major downsides I can see, is very little selection of jobs here and a full days drive to the City.
But as I said, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Comments please!!!!!
As others will know, I'm off to Nundle, NSW (small town, pop 300, 60k from Tamworth in the New England region). Lived there for a year, met my partner there and will be moving back with him next summer (visas allowing).

None of this city living for me! Give me the middle of nowhere any day...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:59 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by bundy
As others will know, I'm off to Nundle, NSW (small town, pop 300, 60k from Tamworth in the New England region). Lived there for a year, met my partner there and will be moving back with him next summer (visas allowing).

None of this city living for me! Give me the middle of nowhere any day...
Bundy for Nundy!! You know the Oz penchant for shortening names!

Good luck!! In another thread I have just been noticing all the (well 2 or 3 of you) tennis afficianados (haven't got time to check the spelling!) out there.

TennisOz

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:15 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz
Bundy for Nundy!! You know the Oz penchant for shortening names!

Good luck!! In another thread I have just been noticing all the (well 2 or 3 of you) tennis afficianados (haven't got time to check the spelling!) out there.

TennisOz
And the weird thing is that I never managed to get a nickname when I was out there....
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:27 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bundy
And the weird thing is that I never managed to get a nickname when I was out there....
I did I was known as Pete the Pom
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:28 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by PeteY
I did I was known as Pete the Pom
Original. The most I got was 'Mrs Grassy' (my boyfriend's nickname is Grassy - and there's a long story...)
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:21 pm
WBB

I've read many threads on the forums over the past few weeks, and everyone who is moving, planning to move, has moved.........to a city, or near one! Is there anyone on the board who has moved to rural or remote australia like me? I am on the far west coast of South Australia, 5 hrs from big supermarkets like Woolies and Coles, no KFC, Maccas, Red Rooster etc., (although we do have a great Chinese in Town). I was priviledged last year to witness the Solar Eclipse here in Ceduna and I wouldn't live anywhere else, just wondering where you all hailed from and if anyone else was a "bushie" like me!
We have very mild winters, 40+ degree heat in the summer and warm spring and autumn weather. Kids go to a small area school that only has 500 pupils in it.
The only 2 major downsides I can see, is very little selection of jobs here and a full days drive to the City.
Comments please!!!!!

could not go more than a week without a good indian curry and a days drive is a bit daunting.

maybe a helicopter is the answer.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Comments please!!!!!
Hi Invictia
We were in Ceduna for the eclipse as well and had a great time. We stayed with a local couple who had offered accomodation thru Ceduna tourist Place. They (Dougie and Vizma) were an absolutely brilliant couple who were SO HOSPITABLE
Ceduna was colder than we thought it would be, but the Clear water, Fresh Oysters (from the shell) only $6 for 12 and the Eclipse experience was fantastic. If we ever get over to oz, we're hoping WA, we hope to return the favour to our hosts in Ceduna.
What made you choose Ceduna? We were in Adelaide also and we both loved that city.
Cheers
Philip
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by downunderpom
No kids, and won't be having any, but I have some 'borrowed daughters' that I have lent to me once in a while, (love 'em to bits!), along with a whole bunch of nieces and nephews. (I'm more of an 'uncle' type - can't stand rugrats! Apologies to all those who would die for their kids, even when they stink the place up and drive you insane with the racket they create... )
As far as travelling is concerned I've done little else since I was 10 - I'm now looking forward to staying in one place. It's taken me a long time, and a lot of looking, to find the place that I'm prepared to stay in 'forever', but now that I've found it, I can't wait.

Oops I was responding to Invicta's post!! Should have pressed the reply button!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
Hi Invictia
We were in Ceduna for the eclipse as well and had a great time. We stayed with a local couple who had offered accomodation thru Ceduna tourist Place. They (Dougie and Vizma) were an absolutely brilliant couple who were SO HOSPITABLE
Ceduna was colder than we thought it would be, but the Clear water, Fresh Oysters (from the shell) only $6 for 12 and the Eclipse experience was fantastic. If we ever get over to oz, we're hoping WA, we hope to return the favour to our hosts in Ceduna.
What made you choose Ceduna? We were in Adelaide also and we both loved that city.
Cheers
Philip
Used to live in Streaky Bay 100 kms from Ceduna, but never felt like I "belonged" small town with small minds! Have to be either dead or lived there for 25 yrs to become local! Moved away down south just past Adelaide to a place called Murray Bridge, 'cos the work situation was better, eldest son had just joined the Navy and it was fairly close to the City. After 8 months we moved back to the West Coast! Up to Ceduna 'cos the chances of getting work are better than Streaky. Middle child had major problems settleing in the Bridge, hopefully he will be ok up here, much small place, only 4000 people approx. Live right on the seafront, looking for work and getting warmer by the day! Last december wasn't very warm, was quite unusual for that time of year.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Used to live in Streaky Bay 100 kms from Ceduna, but never felt like I "belonged" small town with small minds! Have to be either dead or lived there for 25 yrs to become local! Moved away down south just past Adelaide to a place called Murray Bridge, 'cos the work situation was better, eldest son had just joined the Navy and it was fairly close to the City. After 8 months we moved back to the West Coast! Up to Ceduna 'cos the chances of getting work are better than Streaky. Middle child had major problems settleing in the Bridge, hopefully he will be ok up here, much small place, only 4000 people approx. Live right on the seafront, looking for work and getting warmer by the day! Last december wasn't very warm, was quite unusual for that time of year.
hi invictia , over the years ,we have done a lot of state bank moves , do they still have the house on the Thevanard esplanade,? or was that "com" bank???............... MM
Old Oct 25th 2003, 12:12 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
could not go more than a week without a good indian curry and a days drive is a bit daunting.

maybe a helicopter is the answer.
WBB how about a small private plane British Airways have four beuties going very cheap might be a bit fast though apparently 23 miles a min. Should get us all back to the curry house do a round robbin of all the expats???

Rural life is what i would like in Oz but as of some others on the board close ish to city / town life... would like to know most people in town and have the time to be genuinely interested in what people had to say.

Sounds like Utopia??? hopefuly one day