Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I had my reality check today

I had my reality check today

Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I had my reality check today

Most of us I guess, are guilty of letting the emigration hurdles get to us and we have all had a good moan etc etc

Had a phone call from a prev. work mate to tell me another colleague who we had worked with for 3 yrs (up until Sept this year), had died. I still can't believe it, the guy was 52, about 6'2", slim and very fit (used to go trekking most weekends), absolutely loved the countryside, always tellings us every Monday morning what a great walk he'd had etc.
He had a deaf teenage boy(from a prev. marriage) who he took to every Man U home game, I'm at a loss to how that boy must feel.
He died of Lung Cancer, smoked 20 a day up until 10yrs ago, and was diagnosed 2.5wks ago, went down hill fast and sadly died yesterday.

So this emigration lark is a stressful ole game, but hey, we all sometimes need to realise what really is important, family and health. And for those who are worried about whether to do it, then just do it, you get only so many years to pack in as much as possible into them, so GO FOR IT

Last edited by GetMeOutOfHere; Nov 17th 2003 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I understand what you mean. Yesterday I lost a friend aged 26 - with no history of ill health. It was sudden and unexpected.

Makes you put things into perspective

A very sad

Debs
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Im rearly sorry for the both of you, and any1 else who has lost a loved one or friend....at young ages too is such waste of a life

Just goes to show live for today cause you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Claire
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

my birth mum died aged 28 having had me at aged 26.

This has given me the detirmination in life do what I want with the time I have.

Just my adoptive mad mother keeps getting in the way with her emotional blackmail.............
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Getmeoutofhere & Debsy

with sympathy to both of you, both my parents have ill health and are both only in there early 50's, i see so many people lose loved ones, friends, colleagues etc and it only makes me more determined to live each day as if it is my last. Only today i was sat in work wishing the day away, why? we should cherish every moment that we are allowed to stay on this earth.
thinking of you both
rach
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getmeoutofhere & Debsy

i have a new plan at my crap job, I think they pay me 30% to little so I use 30% of my time for my own use, soing oz stuff, phoning people adn using the work franking machine.

It helps this next months pass a little easier without wishing them away.

V
Old Nov 17th 2003, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I had my reality check today

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Most of us I guess, are guilty of letting the emigration hurdles get to us and we have all had a good moan etc etc

Had a phone call from a prev. work mate to tell me another colleague who we had worked with for 3 yrs (up until Sept this year), had died. I still can't believe it, the guy was 52, about 6'2", slim and very fit (used to go trekking most weekends), absolutely loved the countryside, always tellings us every Monday morning what a great walk he'd had etc.
He had a deaf teenage boy(from a prev. marriage) who he took to every Man U home game, I'm at a loss to how that boy must feel.
He died of Lung Cancer, smoked 20 a day up until 10yrs ago, and was diagnosed 2.5wks ago, went down hill fast and sadly died yesterday.

So this emigration lark is a stressful ole game, but hey, we all sometimes need to realise what really is important, family and health. And for those who are worried about whether to do it, then just do it, you get only so many years to pack in as much as possible into them, so GO FOR IT
Life is to short and you spend a long time dead !!!
I say go for it too
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I titally agree. Life is to short to think 'what if'. Everyone else is sitting around glum thinking of the next 6 months of gloomy weather ahead and I am just thinking thank God we are leaving!!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Take a moment to reflect

Having posted this previously I thought it may have a wee bit more relevance under this thread - while talking about reasons for making the big move -

The defining moment for me was a very sad one – while watching the coffins of very young British service men being returned home, I did shed a tear or two to myself, as a career serviceman I felt incredibly lucky that I’ve had the chances that I’ve had, and reflected on how these young men would never be able to live there own life’s dreams. Since watching these scenes I have become absolutely resolute in my decision to take whatever opportunities come my way and make the most of them.

Whenever a small doubt comes into my mind about what I’m doing I just remind myself that ‘Hey I’m lucky at least I can’