Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Originally Posted by willamos
Landing in Australia again recently, it amazed me once again how paranoid/authoritarian/fascist they are about stuff being ''brought into Australia''. Food, alcohol, gifts...everything and anything, really.

Filling in landing cards that want to know everything about you, your family and your trip. Not only on your return, but boarding cards BEFORE you even get on the plane to go!! Never had that in any other country.

It amazes me that my wife, born and raised in Australia, has to fill in the card asking for information about where she's been on the trip and what she might be bringing back with her. Love the threats on the cards about being prosecuted for false declarations too.

The cabin crew are legally obliged to announce all the restrictions over the aircraft's PA system plus you have to watch a santimonious video as well. How many times does the same message need repeating exactly?

I'm surprised that the landing card doesn't ask you whether you've been in the company of any homosexuals or keen Muslims whilst you've been away. It seems to want to know everything else. Having your bags opened up to check for anything that might be a ''threat to Australia''. Seriously, what is a banana likely to actually do in reality? What is one scrap of mud from your parent's garden in Sussex actually going to do to the flora and fauna in inner Melbourne precisely? I'd really like to know because I suspect a lot of all that crap is revenue generating and nothing more - it's about finding reasons to fine people. Getting money off you for buying more duty free than they want you to and so on.

Do the Aussies not realise how up their own arses they appear with all this crap when you arrive there?

If other countries don't require all this s***, why does Australia? Is it the single most fragile country in the world, or just the most rule-obsessed?

And people talk about the UK being a nanny state/police state. My word.
Interestingly as a UK blood donor, I was always asked if I had had sex with men or prostitutes. There is a very good reason for this, as there is with AQIS regulations. You are now picking anything to pull apart imho.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:10 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Partly agree with your post - Australia is the land of rules and regulations, a huge nanny state. But many countries have landing cards - including the UK for non-EU. The landing card for the US is worse than the Aussie one. It even asks if you were a member of the nazi party of Germany! Recently flew to Thailand via Malaysia - had to fill in landing and departure cards for all 3 countries, a real pain in the ass.
I know that other countries have landing cards, but going through customs and quarantine in Australia is one of life's greatest examples of 'guilty until proven innocent'. You are made to feel like a criminal just for arriving in Australia and having some suitcases with your belongings in.

Maybe that's a hangover from the early convict days; they assume anyone coming here must be an outlaw of some kind.

Last edited by willamos; Nov 9th 2009 at 1:15 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:12 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Interestingly as a UK blood donor, I was always asked if I had had sex with men or prostitutes. There is a very good reason for this, as there is with AQIS regulations. You are now picking anything to pull apart imho.
I think we all know the risks of infections transmitted by the exchange of blood, kporte. I think anyone would want to know that, should they have to accept a blood transfusion, it is not carrying a deadly virus. Very logical and no more than you would expect, surely?

Since when does one pathetic banana or a tiny flake of dried mud carry the AIDS virus, exactly? I think comparing the transfer of human blood from person to person to being told to surrender your satsumas or face prosecution is a totally bizarre analogy. Odd that you see them as comparable, frankly.

Last edited by willamos; Nov 9th 2009 at 1:27 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:24 pm
ABCDiamond

I think we all know the risks of infections transmitted by the exchange of blood, kporte.

Since when does a banana or a tiny flake of dried mud carry the AIDS virus, exactly?
But they may have Guignardia, or Foot and Mouth, or similar ?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But they may have Guignardia, or Foot and Mouth, or similar ?
Scientifically speaking, I wonder exactly how likely that actually is though and is it going to result in anyone's death?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

I think we all know the risks of infections transmitted by the exchange of blood, kporte. I think anyone would want to know that, should they have to accept a blood transfusion, it is not carrying a deadly virus. Very logical and no more than you would expect, surely?

Since when does one pathetic banana or a tiny flake of dried mud carry the AIDS virus, exactly? I think comparing the transfer of human blood from person to person to being told to surrender your satsumas or face prosecution is a totally bizarre analogy. Odd that you see them as comparable, frankly.
I don't. But they are rules put in place to safeguard certain things, rightly so. The rules regarding plant life etc here are equally sensible as they safeguard the agriculture etc Odd that you can't see this frankly.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Scientifically speaking, I wonder exactly how likely that actually is though and is it going to result in anyone's death?
No. Neither would smuggling in an illegal alien but you don't advocate that do you?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

He is a genius who knows everything there is to know about, well, everything.
Now now, that's the sort of thing that ends up under my avatar, you flatterer, you.

He gets all haughty if he thinks you are denying him his right to an opinion but openly mocks everyone elses. He doesn't understand that not everyone has the same set of likes/dislikes as him and that nor should they have to. He thinks that if you fail to prefer basically every aspect of Australia to the UK you are insane and will call you and your views ''hilarious''.
Thank-you so much for telling me what I think. There again, that is another fine British tradition you're upholding - ramming your own views and modes of operation down someone else's throat whether they like it or not.

He fails to appreciate that no country offers all that is good in life - not even his beloved Australia. If, for example, he believes that there isn't more to enjoy in terms of the arts in the UK and Europe then he is clearly not as culturally aware as he would like us to think.
If I could stop your little rant for a second 'willamos', could you please cut and paste those posts I've made where I say that Australia is a utopian society? Hmmm? I'll save you the trouble old chap - you won't find it. I have an entirely pragmatic view of this country. You, however, seem to loathe it with every atom of your being and you take fantastic umbrage with anyone who dares suggest that it's not actually the Benghazi shit-hole you make it out to be. And that's it. No more, no less.

We don't all think Australia is crap any more than none of us think it's utopia. But that doesn't fit in with your little shit-stirring thread and the views of the caravan of haters that trundle in from the doom-and-gloom room as soon as one of you pedants decide to play a little game of knock-down ginger on the main Australia forum's front door.

There are plenty of reasons for preferring the UK. Just as many as there are for preferring Australia. Hutch finds you blinkered if you think the former but will not appreciate anyone denying him the right to the latter.
Again with the telling me what I think. You should run for parliament, you'd go down a storm.

He's Australia's self-appointed doorman and knows it all. Never forget that.
lol - I love how the uninformed pick up on the tag below my avatar. Use the search function and you'll discover that, as with just about everything else you've said, you're wide of the mark.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Partly agree with your post - Australia is the land of rules and regulations, a huge nanny state. But many countries have landing cards - including the UK for non-EU. The landing card for the US is worse than the Aussie one. It even asks if you were a member of the nazi party of Germany! Recently flew to Thailand via Malaysia - had to fill in landing and departure cards for all 3 countries, a real pain in the ass.
You are correct, however, how many countries other than Australia requires it's citizens to fill in a landing card? I can't think of one, although I'm sure there must be!

I accept landing cards, but frankly it galls me to have to fill one in when returning to the country where I have spent most of my life. Maybe some people think I'm just over-reacting, but it really gets my goat.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Devlin
You are correct, however, how many countries other than Australia requires it's citizens to fill in a landing card? I can't think of one, although I'm sure there must be!

I accept landing cards, but frankly it galls me to have to fill one in when returning to the country where I have spent most of my life. Maybe some people think I'm just over-reacting, but it really gets my goat.
Indeed, 30 seconds of your time to keep the nation safe is unreasonable....
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Indeed, 30 seconds of your time to keep the nation safe is unreasonable....
You really believe that the card makes a big difference to things? People who want to do nasty things to a country and commit vicious crimes will not be stopped from doing so by filling in an A2 piece of card or whatever. Those cards are coming after you mainly for money. They want to charge you if you've gone and bought goods overseas that they could have charged you tax on if you had bought them in Australia. Opening up your suitcase and checking for muddy trainers is a good pretense on which to open up your suitcase and check for too many duty free fags etc.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
Now now, that's the sort of thing that ends up under my avatar, you flatterer, you.

Thank-you so much for telling me what I think. There again, that is another fine British tradition you're upholding - ramming your own views and modes of operation down someone else's throat whether they like it or not.

If I could stop your little rant for a second 'willamos', could you please cut and paste those posts I've made where I say that Australia is a utopian society? Hmmm? I'll save you the trouble old chap - you won't find it. I have an entirely pragmatic view of this country. You, however, seem to loathe it with every atom of your being and you take fantastic umbrage with anyone who dares suggest that it's not actually the Benghazi shit-hole you make it out to be. And that's it. No more, no less.

We don't all think Australia is crap any more than none of us think it's utopia. But that doesn't fit in with your little shit-stirring thread and the views of the caravan of haters that trundle in from the doom-and-gloom room as soon as one of you pedants decide to play a little game of knock-down ginger on the main Australia forum's front door.

Again with the telling me what I think. You should run for parliament, you'd go down a storm.

lol - I love how the uninformed pick up on the tag below my avatar. Use the search function and you'll discover that, as with just about everything else you've said, you're wide of the mark.
I've yet to see you accept a single criticism of Australia...ever. Never. You always seek to rebuke, critique and parody any remark that seems to be less than complimentary about Australia. Equally, you rarely, if ever at all, support anyone saying anything good about the UK. Instead, you rush to mock them as sarcastically as you possibly can.

That alone gives fairly clear indication of your views. Perhaps you are completely blind to it though.

Last edited by willamos; Nov 9th 2009 at 2:09 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

You really believe that the card makes a big difference to things? People who want to do nasty things to a country and commit vicious crimes will not be stopped from doing so by filling in an A2 piece of card or whatever. Those cards are coming after you mainly for money. They want to charge you if you've gone and bought goods overseas that they could have charged you tax on if you had bought them in Australia. Opening up your suitcase and checking for muddy trainers is a good pretense on which to open up your suitcase and check for too many duty free fags etc.
Why would the authorities need the pretence of checking one's suitcase for fags when they can just check if someone has brought in too many?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Why would the authorities need the pretence of checking one's suitcase for fags when they can just check if someone has brought in too many?
I was merely saying that I think most of it is about finding an opportunity to fine you. Are they really interested in the mud on your trainers or are they more concerned with fining you for having mud on your trainers?

The more excuses they have to inspect your luggage the more opportunities will be presented for finding things they can fine you for having with you.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to see you accept a single criticism of Australia...ever. Never.
That' undoubtedly because you only ever bother with your own little shit-stirring threads. It's hardly my fault if you're incapable of

You always seek to rebuke, critique and parody any remark that seems to be less than complimentary about Australia. Equally, you rarely, if ever at all, support anyone saying anything good about the UK.
Yes and you are a self-confessed sexual deviant whose vices include bestiality and cottaging. You push old ladies down busy escalators, wear a curry-stained 1972 snorkel jacket when train-spotting at Rugby train station and kick children in the shins whenever possible. You have the largest collection of bone china dildos in the western hemisphere and you are a proud owner of all the Peter Purves era Blue Peter albums. You hate the colour yellow and love violet. You are a life-long member of the National Front and often spend weekends attending the funeral receptions for people you never knew.

Ooooh ... telling poeple what they think is really good fun actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.