Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Originally Posted by willamos
Agree totally with this. I can't stand all the pro-Australia stuff you have to listen to daily whilst living in Australia. There's a neediness in the way they have to keep going on about how wonderful Australia is and the patriotism reminds me of Americans. There's only so much self-congratulatory back-slapping you can take. Rather than making me feel proud to be there or anything like that, it makes me feel alienated and bored.
A little too overdone perhaps to the point where it should be asked<Does anyone seruosly believe this,or is it all part of the cultural cringe?<
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Totally agree . 90% of my workforce of 20 were on something including crystal meth . Drugs here a major issue ,after employing many drug addict and one death on site from a hotshot from heroin in 2005 i find it an epidemic amongst people under 35
I believe you mate. I only have to look at some of the factory workers on some suburban trains and they don't look right. The train passes through industrial areas.

I really think I move in different circles though sometimes! That's not to say that people I work with don't participate, they just look half-normal.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DumbFalang
They don't have an AussieExpats forum where I can go and tell everyone why I don't like living in England

Actually, I have lived in both, but no longer live in either of them. What this thread has brought out for me is how different Brits and Aussies behave when their country is criticised.

I think I am like most Brits when I say that you can say whatever you like about our country - you are entitled to your opinion and we don't really care.

Now, say anything bad about Australia to "most?" Australians and things tend to get a little serious and defensive. I don't know why that happens - it just does

I now live in Thailand and it may surprise many of you that they are just as xenophobic as Australians. The Thai stance is very simple and I think this is similar for the Aussies too.... If you have a right to stay here, you are welcome to do so and you will be treated with respect. However, If you say anything against the country, that respect will be lost in an instant.
Have witnessed to an extent and it has been put to me by ex pats living in Thailand that Thais can/are xenophobic to quite a large extent and do seem to believe in a sort of cultural superiority with concerns to being Thai..but i wonder to what degree this is unique even in Asia? Found Cambodians very defensive against outside neighbouring nations...and to a lesser extent the Lao. Wonder in Thailand if you live there you are really welcome..or just tolerated as being one more Farang?
Aussies are i feel getting a little better at taking criticism than years before..although some still feel shafted by it..there is a mindless sense of almost style Bogan nationalism that raises it's head on Australia Day and on display in places like Bali at times ..was about to say that i found it rather innocent..then reflected back a few years ago to Oz Day numerous attacks on police in South Perth by hordes of youths dressed in or carrying Australian colours and realize that more sinister displays could given the right/wrong situation ignite into something else here..given the fuel.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I believe you mate. I only have to look at some of the factory workers on some suburban trains and they don't look right. The train passes through industrial areas.

I really think I move in different circles though sometimes! That's not to say that people I work with don't participate, they just look half-normal.
Gather drugs of one type or another would be something a requirement to get one through the day once passing through some of those factory gates though....
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Gather drugs of one type or another would be something a requirement to get one through the day once passing through some of those factory gates though....
You bet. It's actually one of the reasons why I think some people report issues in the Australian workplace. I can only assume that the deal myself and my peers get is not the deal that many other workers get. I only have to talk casually to people back in the UK I know who are in different lines of work to know that some lines of work just have different conditions the like of which I would not recognise now. I say UK because I don't really ask people I know here about their working conditions. They are either self-employed or professionals. I do know a few people who work in admin who complain but knowing them, I don't think they have an issue.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You bet. It's actually one of the reasons why I think some people report issues in the Australian workplace. I can only assume that the deal myself and my peers get is not the deal that many other workers get. I only have to talk casually to people back in the UK I know who are in different lines of work to know that some lines of work just have different conditions the like of which I would not recognise now. I say UK because I don't really ask people I know here about their working conditions. They are either self-employed or professionals. I do know a few people who work in admin who complain but knowing them, I don't think they have an issue.
Am of the opinion if not of the self employed professional or trade ranks, that there are numerous issues going on in the work place these days regardless of status,which take a toll on all participants resulting in a smaller or larger extent to somewhat negative outcomes.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:32 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
Cringe-inducing attempt at irony throughout this post, many things I could pick on, some massive assumptions and generalisations but I do have to pick you up on the comment about kids being offered drugs.

You consider that there are no drug issues amongst young people in Australia? Seriously? Per head the drug statistics suggest an almost identical problem. Australia has a big crystal meth problem. Did no one tell you?
They have a worse crystal problem in Waterford in Ireland,you can buy that stuff everywhere,my god they even export it
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Fair enough then....

I guess drugs are the only loosely comparable factor.

On all other fronts, no one disagrees with me?!?

Consensus then! All my other points have been validated!

Oh, btw, if you HATE it here so much, I hear you can also get flights home.

Jokes aside (and lets face it, this thread was asking for it!!!)

I left Britain and still love it with a passion. I'm here for good now and love it even more. It's better for me and my kids. Hands down.

It's not for everyone (like any place!) I still love Britain but it's no longer for me for a variety of valid reasons.

I live my life with my eyes wide open and so I guess I'm able to see the spades of good in both places.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Am of the opinion if not of the self employed professional or trade ranks, that there are numerous issues going on in the work place these days regardless of status,which take a toll on all participants resulting in a smaller or larger extent to somewhat negative outcomes.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:44 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autorock
Fair enough then....

I guess drugs are the only loosely comparable factor.

On all other fronts, no one disagrees with me?!?

Consensus then! All my other points have been validated!

Oh, btw, if you HATE it here so much, I hear you can also get flights home.

Jokes aside (and lets face it, this thread was asking for it!!!)

I left Britain and still love it with a passion. I'm here for good now and love it even more. It's better for me and my kids. Hands down.

It's not for everyone (like any place!) I still love Britain but it's no longer for me for a variety of valid reasons.

I live my life with my eyes wide open and so I guess I'm able to see the spades of good in both places.
i agree a lot is mostly down to personal experiences , i do believe if my family had stayed in country bumbkin dorset then my family wouldnt have been as touched by drugs and violence as what it has done here in perth . But then perth is a bigger city then poole with all the problems associated with bigger citys .so from my perspective perth hasnt been a safer environment and for that very reason my eldest moved to belgium because to him its a less violent society , i am returning to europe on the 20th november and no doubt my youngest will follow .
Of course if it was a case of going to birmingham etc then its a differnt story ofcousre but i dont think the uk is anymore or less violent than australia and they both have identical social problems depending on exctly where you choose to live in either .
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:45 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
They have a worse crystal problem in Waterford in Ireland,you can buy that stuff everywhere,my god they even export it
very good ,i think they would have a hard time using that gear though
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by king kong
i agree a lot is mostly down to personal experiences , i do believe if my family had stayed in country bumbkin dorset then my family wouldnt have been as touched by drugs and violence as what it has done here in perth . But then perth is a bigger city then poole with all the problems associated with bigger citys .so from my perspective perth hasnt been a safer environment and for that very reason my eldest moved to belgium because to him its a less violent society , i am returning to europe on the 20th november and no doubt my youngest will follow .
Of course if it was a case of going to birmingham etc then its a differnt story ofcousre but i dont think the uk is anymore or less violent than australia and they both have identical social problems depending on exctly where you choose to live in either .
i agree , you are right .
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

I have not lived in Oz for long, so I am not able to say much about what I like or dislike until I have lived here for at least a year.

The flies are a bane. Not so bad in the city, but a real nuisance further inland. They swarm all over you with their annoying sound. Insect repellants don't help. I am still trying to find out why. I grew up near the equator, where flies are common, but they don't swarm over you when you are walking. I can really think of a few occasions when they are prevalent, such as:
a) when my mother put dinner on the table
b) at the fishmarket
c) behind the back of cows and cattles
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:28 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I was in the UK in October - and granted it was slightly warmer than average, but it still drizzled most days too. Wouldnt call it shit as such - just....er....... uninteresting.

So Stressed, expensive and crowded is the preferred alternative?

Actually thats not true - yes australia has a bigger problem with crystal meth than most other countries (except America) but use of all other drugs except maybe cocaine, is in decline here and the per head of population liftetime useage as per the Australian Household Survey is far less than the UK. I spent ten years doing drugs research in the UK and am now doing similar work here and to be honest, if I was going to say there was anything shit about Australia it is definitely the availability, quality and cost of illegal drugs. So ner!

Ooooh, we can't even read, can we?! I was talking about the use of the term 'troll' being lazy, cheap and empty. Nothing to do with Australia. So your comment about 'stressed, expensive and crowded' is entirely irrelevant.

In any case, 'stressed, expensive and crowded' depends entirely on where you are and what you want to do. And I would describe Sydney at least as all of those anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:30 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is interesting how assumptions are made..

The poster said His/Her kids are not offered drugs.

You convert that to him/her saying "there are no drug issues amongst young people in Australia"

Interesting.....

That really is a case of digging to find negatives at all costs.
Interesting though how people assume that their positive experiences of Australia (his/her kids could be at the best school in the state for all we know) are universally applicable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.