Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:15 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Originally Posted by kporte
I think I may be more attuned to it because it can be a very Scottish trait as well. Nature of the underdog?
you may have a very good point there .
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:21 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As an Australian, I am proud of the fact that our brand of patriotism is completely different to the American variety. Americans believe their country can do no wrong and practically worship every gram of soil. Australians are far more realistic and take great delight in mocking their own instutions.

Unlike the Yanks (and previously the Poms), we have no sense of God-given dominance or manifest destiny. Yanks see themselves as God's chosen people; we see ourselves as a bunch of lucky mutts.

Here's an interesting commentary on the subject:

For different reasons, both Australians and Americans are a little uncomfortable with stereotypes being used to define the characteristics of their respective cultures. However, just like the accent that each uses to speak the common language of English, there are some subtle differences that can be used to distinguish Americans as a group from Australians as a group.

For example, the author of this article was once giving a presentation to an Australian university class. To explain the difficulty of building a patriotic image for a brand in Australia, he draped an Australian flag over his shoulders and struck a pose as if looking at the sunset in an American aftershave commercial. Noting that the class looked unimpressed, he took the flag off his shoulders and enthusiastically polished his arse with it. The class started laughing.

He then asked if anyone was offended. A chorus of nos went up. A lone voice said that, although he wasn't offended, he was disappointed. The lecturer, who had previously worked for the defence forces, gave the presentation a distinction. If the same thing had been done in America, expulsion from the university would have been a distinct possibility.

It should be stressed that it was not a liberal arts class full of 18-year-olds that had an ideological opposition to everything. It was a post-graduate marketing class full of students that should have been able to appreciate the pragmatic benefits of respect, loyalty, teamwork, and constructive thinking.

Unlike Australians, Americans (like most of the world) do not find polishing one's arse with the national flag to be an act of hilarity. For Americans, not only does it show a lack of consideration to the values of others, it also shows an innability to appreciate the benefits of a group working together to achieve a common goal.
(Source).
i think you maybe right , but i will say this an australian born does have that inheritant right to do that with the australian flag . I would beg to differ if i did the same thing just because of the way i talk makes me a brit although i do have a piece of paper that states im an aussie .Just a point of discussion really , i know i wouldnt wipe my arse on the flag just out of respect .
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As an Australian, I am proud of the fact that our brand of patriotism is completely different to the American variety. Americans believe their country can do no wrong and practically worship every gram of soil. Australians are far more realistic and take great delight in mocking their own instutions.

Unlike the Yanks (and previously the Poms), we have no sense of God-given dominance or manifest destiny. Yanks see themselves as God's chosen people; we see ourselves as a bunch of lucky mutts.
Quite accurate I think - and the watchword is the self-mockery - Australians believe it or not - despite aggrievances you hear on BE, are quite capable of irony, dry humour and degradation of own institutions. Infact Australians and Brits are quite capable of standing together and having a laugh at the Yank's expense and enjoying the shared cultural references - this is despite Australia looking like America in some ways or adopting their ways.

But in other ways Yanks and Australians can do it at the Brit expense. I've never seen a cause or example, or reason for the Yanks and the Brits to stand together and have a go at the Australian's expense...By the way even Yanks don't see themselves as God's chosen people - they just are a tad serious about it at times and far less realistic. Even that is a generalisation - go to parts of liberal California...

Even us Poms DO have a sense of pride in our Union flag - really.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:42 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos
They don't have an AussieExpats forum where I can go and tell everyone why I don't like living in England

Actually, I have lived in both, but no longer live in either of them. What this thread has brought out for me is how different Brits and Aussies behave when their country is criticised.

I think I am like most Brits when I say that you can say whatever you like about our country - you are entitled to your opinion and we don't really care.

Now, say anything bad about Australia to "most?" Australians and things tend to get a little serious and defensive. I don't know why that happens - it just does

I now live in Thailand and it may surprise many of you that they are just as xenophobic as Australians. The Thai stance is very simple and I think this is similar for the Aussies too.... If you have a right to stay here, you are welcome to do so and you will be treated with respect. However, If you say anything against the country, that respect will be lost in an instant.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Because I'm fat, lazy, have a bad attitude, hate nature and good restaurants, prefer to feel down-trodden and hopeless than up-beat and positive.

I can't stand it when it doesn't rain every time I plan a BBQ. I hate it that the water at the beach isn't sub zero and that there's sand instead of pebbles.

I hate it that Aussies love their country and don't bag it at every opportunity. My poor kids are getting a good education instead of being offered drugs.

I hate it that the Australian economy is the only one in the developed world that's no in the toilet.

Don't know why but no matter how hard I try, I just don't seem to fit in here!

Oh, maybe I need to change?!?

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:16 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autorock
Because I'm fat, lazy, have a bad attitude, hate nature and good restaurants, prefer to feel down-trodden and hopeless than up-beat and positive.

I can't stand it when it doesn't rain every time I plan a BBQ. I hate it that the water at the beach isn't sub zero and that there's sand instead of pebbles.

I hate it that Aussies love their country and don't bag it at every opportunity. My poor kids are getting a good education instead of being offered drugs.

I hate it that the Australian economy is the only one in the developed world that's no in the toilet.

Don't know why but no matter how hard I try, I just don't seem to fit in here!

Oh, maybe I need to change?!?

Cringe-inducing attempt at irony throughout this post, many things I could pick on, some massive assumptions and generalisations but I do have to pick you up on the comment about kids being offered drugs.

You consider that there are no drug issues amongst young people in Australia? Seriously? Per head the drug statistics suggest an almost identical problem. Australia has a big crystal meth problem. Did no one tell you?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Cringe-inducing attempt at irony throughout this post, many things I could pick on, some massive assumptions and generalisations but I do have to pick you up on the comment about kids being offered drugs.

You consider that there are no drug issues amongst young people in Australia? Seriously? Per head the drug statistics suggest an almost identical problem. Australia has a big crystal meth problem. Did no one tell you?
Cause they did, he just chose to ignore it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:23 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there has been nothing shit about the weather for an entire month here. And it was October. So on what basis is UK weather ''shit''? The case for it being ''shit'' is entirely debateable.

However, there is a wealth of unarguable evidence that Aussie music is poor compared to that of the UK, or that there are fewer attractions on your doorstep in Australia than in the UK. That's the difference.

The weather is down to what you define as ''shit''. If you think the fact that the winter is quite cold makes it ''shit'' then fair enough. Some people don't have a problem with 4 or 5 months of cold weather. Sorry.
I was in the UK in October - and granted it was slightly warmer than average, but it still drizzled most days too. Wouldnt call it shit as such - just....er....... uninteresting.

It's lazy and cheap and ultimately empty.
So Stressed, expensive and crowded is the preferred alternative?

Actually thats not true - yes australia has a bigger problem with crystal meth than most other countries (except America) but use of all other drugs except maybe cocaine, is in decline here and the per head of population liftetime useage as per the Australian Household Survey is far less than the UK. I spent ten years doing drugs research in the UK and am now doing similar work here and to be honest, if I was going to say there was anything shit about Australia it is definitely the availability, quality and cost of illegal drugs. So ner!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Cause they did, he just chose to ignore it.
You mean "[Of] course they did".

British education?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:59 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
...wingeing poms like you refuse to stop moaning.
Absolutely......how embarassing.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Okay hands up for the daft question in the middle of the thread - what's a Godzoner?!
In the United Kingdom the phrase is used by people from Yorkshire to describe that county, sometimes substituting the word county for country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200....unitedkingdom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5234444.stm

Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by king kong
yes ,im just waiting for one of them to say ''indonesion news at ten ''or something like .Im not quiet so brain dead that i dont realiase what country im in .
The Indonesian News is actually on at 12:00 to 12:25 here, just after the Arabic news. I just checked the TV guide

Turkish News is 12:35 to 13:00
Filipino News is 13:00 to 13:30
German News is 13:30 to 14:00

Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Indonesian News is actually on at 12:00 to 12:25 here, just after the Arabic news. I just checked the TV guide

Turkish News is 12:35 to 13:00
Filipino News is 13:00 to 13:30
German News is 13:30 to 14:00
My wife and children watch the Spanish news to practise their Spanish. Hope they don't acquire a lisp..
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:46 am
ABCDiamond

It is interesting how assumptions are made..

The poster said His/Her kids are not offered drugs.

You convert that to him/her saying "there are no drug issues amongst young people in Australia"

Interesting.....

That really is a case of digging to find negatives at all costs.

Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:52 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Totally agree . 90% of my workforce of 20 were on something including crystal meth . Drugs here a major issue ,after employing many drug addict and one death on site from a hotshot from heroin in 2005 i find it an epidemic amongst people under 35 .Anyone who thinks otherwise has got their head in the sand , im sure its no differnt in most western countries ,drugs are the new alcohol and who can blame em they are far cheaper way to get off their face than a pint of beer here in aussie .

Last edited by king kong; Nov 4th 2009 at 1:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.