Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I can't believe it (please read)

I can't believe it (please read)

Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't believe it (please read)

Obviously you'll have Uni fees in the UK but with respect of Aus/US/Canada you will pay far more. You are still (understandably given your age) very closed mind with regards Australia. You've not been here so please keep an open mind until you have actually experienced the place.

You've had a couple of holidays in the US and if I remember rightly, not been to Canada so to judge any of these countries as strongly as you do seems slightly daft to me but hey, it's a long time since I was a teenager . I would assume your father has decided on Victoria because he feels his business will be more profitable there than any other state, not because of the weather. Maybe (don't know your father obviously) he feels the very fact that the weather is slightly similar to the UK to be a positive.

Validate your visa, go back to the UK to complete your A levels and then consider your options. There are bad universities in every country, there are also excellent universities in the same countries. Uni grads from Aus do just as well career wise as any other grads.

The world is a very small place and you can go and do anything, anywhere if you want it bad enough.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:36 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I would agree that you should definately validate your visa, but to be honest I think you would be best staying in the UK for Uni - you could come out to Aus during your hols. If you then decide you would prefer to be here, nothing is lost.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:07 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hi Rob

Victoria is one of the more interesting parts of australia, its a smaller state and activity/variety is more concentrated than most parts of OZ. Unless your going to some rural spot of victoria a couple of years there is not the worse place to be at all. Melbourne for a couple of years is actually quite interesting. Climate in victoria ranges from snow in winter in the alps to 48 degree days on occasions in summer, not really same as UK so dont worry about that.

Education, if you cant finish your a levels in UK? then its 11 and 12 in OZ, however is your dad aware in vic you have an advantage if you have done grade 10 there, some credit can be gained from year 10 work too. However you can still get into uni with 11 and 12 passes. Like anywhere uni places are highly competitive, work hard wherever you do them.

Once your 18 if you have the money you can study as university in US or Canada or OZ or UK, your residency will determine how much you pay though, look into it, it can be a vast difference for a resident to a OS student.

Also you have the advantage of work visas avail to 18 - 30 years for canada, just get the best education you can while with the parents, then go where you want, visas and money permitting.

I would also say if your very close to finishing A levels and dont want to go back and do another 2/3 years to get uni entrance here, speak to your parents again about possibility of finishing A levels in UK.

Good luck, melbourne aint that bad at all
It does'nt get to 48c degrees in summer in Victoria. It got to 46c one day in summer last year but that was a freak record emperature, ususally theres only a few days over 40c a year and not thar many days over 35c , Victoria has the coolest temperatures apart from Tasmania
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
It does'nt get to 48c degrees in summer in Victoria. It got to 46c one day in summer last year but that was a freak record emperature, ususally theres only a few days over 40c a year and not thar many days over 35c , Victoria has the coolest temperatures apart from Tasmania
And it doesnt snow in melbourne.

I gave the 2 extremes as an example to Rob of how the weather would not be like UK, and made it clear they were occasional not every day weather.

I could have said melb often gets grey drizzly days which it does often, however that would have upset too

Hey Rob, we lived in melb, partner is from melb still dont think weather is that UK ish, temps are warmer year round and UK is often green and lush and victoria is often brown as a boot for months at a time.

Still think its one of the better places in OZ for a youngster I could name a thousand worse places here
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
Actually it got to 47.9 one day last year (Feb 7th, that day ring a bell?) but you're right that is freaky, though becoming more common it would appear

It does get a winter but no where near as cold as the UK, and I don't think it really drizzles in the UK style, it throws it down with rain and then stops, not the continual slow drizzle that goes on for days that I used to hate back in Manchester.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
Im still not happy with the location he chose (Victoria). I still think the weather is very similar and if I was to move I choose somewhere worthwile (Queensland) as the weather is different.
I moved from Brisbane to Melbourne 8 months ago after having lived in Brisbane for over 4 years. I only have one summer and one winter to go on...but based on that the weather is nowhere near similar to the UK. Arriving in Melbourne just in time for the extreme heat of late Jan / early Feb this year the warm to hot temperatures continued all the way to the end of April. Winter has been a complete non event as far as I'm concerned...without a doubt, winter in Brisbane is absolutely suberb, probably the most perfect weather you could imagine, but Melbourne's winter is knowhere near as harsh as it's made out to be by many.

Another thing, vaguely weather related, there is no daylight savings in Qld...it gets dark early year round...some people are just fine with this, others hate it. Summer evenings in Melbourne are an absolute joy...summer evenings in Brisbane are, erm, dark!

I'm surprised that someone of your age would say that Queensland is more 'worthwhile' based on it's weather alone. Sure, it's warm to hot all year round, but what about other things? There is so much more going on in Melbourne than Brisbane, a huge amount of variety and just a generally very cool (not the weather!) vibe about the place.

Anecdotally, I knew so many young people in Brisbane who left to go to live in either Melbourne or Sydney (they even made a movie about this you know! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_My_...aving_Brisbane ) - I never met people who did the same journey in reverse, only people who came to Brisbane from country towns / cities like Tamworth and Toowoomba.

Don't base your decisions on climate charts alone.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:56 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad's Visa Application was Approved!!
So yeah, he just has to fill out a few forms about the rest of the family and are able to move to Australia.
I think you dont realise how much work this is it takes a few years and a lot of study to have a career another country deems worthy of importing you and your family.
I am studying my A-Levels and my dad wants me to go to Uni in Australia, but
I want to go to Uni in the UK or USA or Canada.
This is the Key here, decide what you want to do. Then pick a Uni that does this well and will give you a degree and a career that can facilitate your move to the states. Your dad has chosen has choosen his and appears to have done well by you and your family.

In light of the cost if you are paying for it go with the best you can afford. If your dad is well then you really are going to have to persuade him why you believe you should study in the UK over Australia.

As we will be temporary residents for 4 years, will I have to pay International Fees? My dad seems to think I don't.
This has been answered
Also will my dad have to pay for my brother and sisters schooling? He says Australia like Business people and they don't have to pay?
Regardless if you personnally dont have to pay for their schooling its not your business
Im not sporty at all, and I have heard Australia is very sporty, especially its youth.
Live in Collingwood from what I saw on Saturday you should blend in fine.
On a serious note you will be fine you will have left school so no-ones going to force you to play anything
Im still not happy with the location he chose (Victoria). I still think the weather is very similar and if I was to move I choose somewhere worthwile (Queensland) as the weather is different.
This makes you sound like a pup.
I still think Australia isn't right for me and a belong in The UK. I think I could fit in in The US or Canada but not Aus.
Well study and when your career allows you to migrate, guess what you can choose.
I will be really happy if people respond giving me friendly useful answers!
Sorry I can roll crap in sugar but I cant make it into a jelly doughnut
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Who is going to pay for your fees ?

UK - you will probably get a student loan to pay for it.
Australia - You'll be commonwealth sponsored only if your a citizen. Otherwise your paying. Given your circumstances, your paying.
Anywhere else - International fees.

So unless someone wants to give you $30k, the UK it is then.

Then of course there is the minor issue of where you are going to live and how to support yourself during University. Overall, you may well find your choices much more limited by practical circumstance rather than your feelings of where you want to go.

On a complete side note, whilst a US university (for example) may sound exciting, my sister in law spent 4 weeks on a year long exchange at Miami. After being offered coke, heroin and narcotics several times a day along with being searched for knives, guns and other choice articles, returned thankfully to the UK to complete her degree. Crime happens everywhere for sure, but some places may sound great but reality is different.

Best wishes for what you decide. Think long and hard. 3 years is a long time to end up somewhere you don't want to be with no support from parents or relatives.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do uni here if I were you. I'm doing a couple degrees here and am very concerned with the prospects internationally. For the most part I'm finding people are reporting back that degrees from here aren't worth a whole lot. A friends daughter was two years into a teaching degree in Melbourne when she took a trip to canada (where she is originally from) and looked into teaching there. She was told that a degree from here was not up to standard for her get work. And if that weren't enough they also said none of what she has already taken towards here degree is of any value there. So she pulled the pin here and went to canada and started all over again. At least her degree there is more than recognized here. Somehow I doubt she'll come back to teach here though.

Others from Europe I've talked to are saying people with australian degrees are for the most part retarded by comparison...

On another thing you were saying that you weren't sure you will fit in here... Australia is very much on the rough side when it comes so social and civil attitudes. If you're more of a soft sensitive type I suspect you will find things hard to deal with.

Last edited by sun burnt in aus; Sep 21st 2009 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:57 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile I thought I might post this. etc
There could be many benefits having family in Australia for holidays etc but for your school education you are best off in the UK.

Having said that, as an experienced employer I don't think there is a huge difference in degrees and qualifications. If you want a job it is experience, attitude and application that count.

It comes down to preference.

I think your situation is more about personal choice. If your dad wanted to move the whole family here he should have done it a few years back.

It may be selfish him trying to make the move right now but somehow it would be good to share in your father's enthusiasm and talk to him about everything. And if you don't wanna come here tell him.

I moved here with everything going for me, Aussie wife, Aussie family, some money behind us etc and it is very very challenging moving somewhere very alien. I don't envy your position and understand your possible preference to go to USA or Canada. Are you checking out those BE pages too? If so be cautious. Many people write on BE about how good things are overseas and often I think it is about justifying their own move.

Remember: Australia is not all that it's cracked up to be and a multitude of BE members here will only see things through rose-tinted spectacles.

I reckon if you have doubts about Aus you are probably going to find it difficult. Talk to your dad, and do it soon.

rab
Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
Others from Europe I've talked to are saying people with australian degrees are for the most part retarded by comparison...
Some UK - Australia Standards Comparisons, from a UK perspective:

UK 2ii Honours standard =
Australia
Bachelor's Honours: 2.2 / 2B / Credit 60%-69%
Bachelor's Ordinary: 2.1 / 2A / Distinction 70%-79%

UK 2i Honours standard =
Australia
Bachelor's Honours: 2.1 / 2A / Distinction 70%-79%
Bachelor's Ordinary: 1st Class / High Distinction 80%-100%

UK Masters standard =
Australia
Master's degree

Australia is very much on the rough side when it comes so social and civil attitudes. If you're more of a soft sensitive type I suspect you will find things hard to deal with.
That may not apply in my part of Australia, what part are you in ?

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rab
Remember: Australia is not all that it's cracked up to be and a multitude of BE members here will only see things through rose-tinted spectacles.
It never ceases to surprise me that some people think that people can only like Australia if they have rose tinted spectacles.

Some people seem to think that everyone should think exactly the same as them.
And yet if it was said that those who do not like Australia are looking back to the UK with rose tinted specs, they may not be as amused...

Some people do have rose tints though, I did, when I first came, then I had them for the UK, so I went back. But now I just have plain normal glasses, and see things in reality, for what I like

We are all different, we like different things.
Some of us will like Australia, because we like it, not because of rose-tints, as some people would like everyone else to believe...

And of course some people will like other countries, but then, they must have rose tinted specs I suppose..........

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

On another thing you were saying that you weren't sure you will fit in here... Australia is very much on the rough side when it comes so social and civil attitudes. If you're more of a soft sensitive type I suspect you will find things hard to deal with.
Oh how I do love a good sweeping generalisation
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Going to school is the US is crazily expensive. A 4-year course will be more that USD 70,000. I did not count living expenses. Also you really need a car here-unless you are on NYC.

Good Luck
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:30 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh how I do love a good sweeping generalisation
It's like the the old fav...in Australia if you don't like sport you won't fit in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.