Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I can't believe it (please read)

I can't believe it (please read)

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't believe it (please read)

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
A friends daughter was two years into a teaching degree in Melbourne when she took a trip to canada (where she is originally from) and looked into teaching there. She was told that a degree from here was not up to standard for her get work. And if that weren't enough they also said none of what she has already taken towards here degree is of any value there. So she pulled the pin here and went to canada and started all over again. At least her degree there is more than recognized here. Somehow I doubt she'll come back to teach here though.
That's odd. I know a number of Canadians who come to Australia to get their teaching degrees and have absolutely no problem getting their licenses to teach back home. Teacher's college is very difficult to get into in Canada (Ontario in particular) so students come here to do it.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Teachers in Canada have to have a 4-year degree. Many from Oz and the UK bring 3-year degrees with them. Even with a bucket load of experience, they still have to 'go back to school' to do extra credits.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh how I do love a good sweeping generalisation
Well next time I'll get more specific shall I but you'll have to wait for the book cause generalizations are pretty much all you can write on a forum. Anything over 10 sentences is carrying on to much. It's expected that people will understand that and use there fuzzy logic (if they have it) and know that there are exceptions to what is said. Hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well next time I'll get more specific shall I but you'll have to wait for the book cause generalizations are pretty much all you can write on a forum. Anything over 10 sentences is carrying on to much. It's expected that people will understand that and use there fuzzy logic (if they have it) and know that there are exceptions to what is said. Hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.
No, not really!

Lots of us are more specific & generalisations are a total arse!
There's one for you now just to prove the point!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do uni here if I were you. I'm doing a couple degrees here and am very concerned with the prospects internationally. For the most part I'm finding people are reporting back that degrees from here aren't worth a whole lot. A friends daughter was two years into a teaching degree in Melbourne when she took a trip to canada (where she is originally from) and looked into teaching there. She was told that a degree from here was not up to standard for her get work. And if that weren't enough they also said none of what she has already taken towards here degree is of any value there. So she pulled the pin here and went to canada and started all over again. At least her degree there is more than recognized here. Somehow I doubt she'll come back to teach here though.

Others from Europe I've talked to are saying people with australian degrees are for the most part retarded by comparison...

On another thing you were saying that you weren't sure you will fit in here... Australia is very much on the rough side when it comes so social and civil attitudes. If you're more of a soft sensitive type I suspect you will find things hard to deal with.
Sorry, this post is an absolute load of bollocks. I know HEAPS of Australians who have high paying jobs in the US, Canada and the UK. There are thousands of expert Australians working all around the world. Australia is a first world nation and ranks highly in nearly all OECD attributes. Seriously, you need to re-assess you views, because they are quite wrong. I also find this post quite racist (and not very social or civic minded)
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's odd. I know a number of Canadians who come to Australia to get their teaching degrees and have absolutely no problem getting their licenses to teach back home. Teacher's college is very difficult to get into in Canada (Ontario in particular) so students come here to do it.
"Sunburnt in Oz" sounds bitter about Australia. Thats fine, but he/she should not be allowed to post unfactual comments that have no basis in reality. A friend I teach with [I am a teacher in Perth] worked for five years in Canada with an Australian teaching degree.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Various good replies on here so I just thought I would add my contribution.

I find Australia a happy mix between America and the UK in many ways. I suspect that you have an idea in your mind of what Australia is like. Please be assured that your impression will be completely wrong. Come and see it and then decide.

School fees - not sure about Uni fees but those questions have been answered. However, if you would like to live in Queensland (we are on the Gold Coast and its great) a bonus is that your younger siblings would be taught in state schools for free. You might be able to dangle this one to your old man to persuade him to consider Queensland.

As for being ultra sporty, its really not the case. My son is 15 and because he did not choose sport as an option in school, he doesn't get any sport at all. This isnt so bad for him because he is quite academic and gets his share of sports in his soccer team but its an illustration of how un sporty a lot of Australian schools are.

What I would like to impress on you the most though is that its very dangerous to just base your decision on the replies of people on here. For the most part we are freaks and misfits !! You really need to visit Australia before making such a big decision.

Hope this helps, good luck on your decision,
Ren xx
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:43 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree RenShen...look at this from a position of having your own experience & feelings about a place, not just other's opinions.

Whatever you think, your dad will have done a whole lot of work to get these visas for you all & he will have done it for the best reasons & must be thinking he's giving you an opportunity, if nothing else.

Validate the visas & then that gives you time to finsih your A Levels, which is probably a really good idea. After that you can decide what you want to do - but you can be sure that going to uni in any country is going to be tough enough financially, without even factoring in getting your head around the work. You might even come round to thinking that having that option of living at home with your family whilst going to a world-class uni in Melbourne would be the best thing for you...you do realise that the average debt for a student leaving uni in the UK is £23K don't you...not much of a start in life, is it?

But you're 18 - don't close any doors to yourself just yet - validate the visa, do your As & then decide - that would be my feelings.

Best of luck with whatever you decide
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Sorry, this post is an absolute load of bollocks. I know HEAPS of Australians who have high paying jobs in the US, Canada and the UK. There are thousands of expert Australians working all around the world. Australia is a first world nation and ranks highly in nearly all OECD attributes. Seriously, you need to re-assess you views, because they are quite wrong. I also find this post quite racist (and not very social or civic minded)
I'm sure many do but there are also many that have differing opinions that I have talked to... You've heard of opinions haven't you - everyone's got one...

Racist LOL now if there's a big load of bollocks. You need to stop smoking pot if you believe australians are a race unto themselves LOL
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussietobe
"Sunburnt in Oz" sounds bitter about Australia. Thats fine, but he/she should not be allowed to post unfactual comments that have no basis in reality. A friend I teach with [I am a teacher in Perth] worked for five years in Canada with an Australian teaching degree.
So you can provide proof... Oh that's right what I said is false but yours isn't... right. If you have issues with opinions that differ with yours that's all right but don't be stupid and call me a liar when you're spouting the same sort of opinions. The account that was told to me by a father and his daughter is true whether you can face up to it or not.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OK kids. You both have different experiences. Both valid, both right, no problem.