Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I can't afford to eat in Australia

I can't afford to eat in Australia

Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

redissue has a spectacular aura aboutredissue has a spectacular aura aboutredissue has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I can't afford to eat in Australia

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Oh yes we will
Last week I emailed them and also complained to the manager. I told him exactly what you said...they've been going downhill for ages now
I've only been shopping there for 5 years as I wouldn't go near them in Adelaide.
Twelve months ago loose bread rolls were 35 cents, overnight they went up to 55 cents ...literally! Now they are 60 cents. The final straw was last Friday when we found lots of shelves empty...not good
I haven't come across Aldi in Perth, but if anyone does could you let me know please? Ta!
In the meantime I will try Super IGA as I don't like Woolies
Shouldn't really say this but.
I work at Woolies. They are fantastic employers, but, I have to say, in Sydney, Woolies appear like the old tesco (whom they want to be) in so much as the outdated logo and branding. Coles appear so much fresher in their stores. And sell better produce I think. But, as we have an aldi near us, we save so much by shopping there that the pathetic 4c (that was off 102c a litre when we arrived 4 months ago, now it is 4c off a 145c litre). My badly made point is, forget the petrol coupons, if their is an aldi within 20 min of you then you would be better off foregoing your petrol coupons, experimenting with what at aldis is good tucker (and it is not all good - it takes a bit of trial and error to never try their tins of spaghetti again, etc) and ignoring as much as possible the 70% duopoly that Coles and Woolies have between them. A recent bill from Aldi compared with woolies was $142 vs $171. Takes a lot of petrol at 4c to make that up...
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:38 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I hear that some products like Kellogs cornflakes are exactly the same product, made by the same people, but packaged in an Aldi box. They sell for half the price this way.
This I can believe all big companies supply other under different names, I will never forget in the UK looking at go-cat or kitekat and finding the exact batch number on a tin of felix, I owned a pet store over there and after realising that got most of my customers onto the cheaper stuff because it was identical.
Jenny
Old Feb 13th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

Aldi is fantastic! There are no stores in Tasmania so when we moved to mainland Aust. we 'discovered' Aldi and save heaps. Loo roll, pasta, pasta sauce, cereal, meat, lunch box fillers for the kids, cleaning agents, nappies, noodles,wipes ..... all bought at Aldi and all fine. Daughter says the nappies ARE just as good as Huggies and so so much cheaper!!...huge saving for her!

Gotta Love Aldi!!........
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:49 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So any news, did you get it
Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
will do hun, red or white wine ?

If all goes to plan, will have a small gathering if thats ok with you, round ours
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
I've been giving this some thought lately and, sad as I am, I sat down with my till receipt from my weekly shopping at Coles and logged on to my old Tesco direct account and did the exact same cyber shopping on there. Using a currency converter it showed me that the same food basket in England would have cost me 23 pounds more than it did in Perth.
I did the same thing a while ago, and it worked out dearer for me too. Not by a huge amount, but still more - there no need to feel like a saddo on your own now.

I won't be doing it again though, it took me about 2 hours to find everything.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I guess he is talking about the big 44k V?
132kV or more.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
Aldi is fantastic! There are no stores in Tasmania so when we moved to mainland Aust. we 'discovered' Aldi and save heaps. Loo roll, pasta, pasta sauce, cereal, meat, lunch box fillers for the kids, cleaning agents, nappies, noodles,wipes ..... all bought at Aldi and all fine. Daughter says the nappies ARE just as good as Huggies and so so much cheaper!!...huge saving for her!

Gotta Love Aldi!!........
Warning: Aldi's loo paper will not win any awards for robustness
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tictac
Warning: Aldi's loo paper will not win any awards for robustness
Saves buying Chocolate fingers.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

"Taxi for Mr. Potato"
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spartacus
"Taxi for Mr. Potato"
Yep, 10 in the morning and I'm pished already! Nothing else to do in oz.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

willywonka is an unknown quantity at this point

am new to australia, only been here three weeks, am in adelaide, is there an aldi here then?? if so can someone tell me my nearest one, am in Brighton, thanks xxxx
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willywonka
am new to australia, only been here three weeks, am in adelaide, is there an aldi here then?? if so can someone tell me my nearest one, am in Brighton, thanks xxxx
None in SA currently.

The website is: www.aldi.com.au
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:09 am
Just Joined

brizvegas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

i love ALDI

The quality is good - including the Veg & Salad etc i'm constantly suprised & waiting to get a dud but i never do.

I especially like things like the washing powders & softners etc - great quality - fraction of the price.

Yesterday i had to rush & get a few things & popped into coles as it was handiest to me in Wynnum - i nearly died of shock at the prices of the few bits that i usually buy in Aldi.

my routine is Aldi for majority of things, woolies for things like organic chickens & eggs etc, & our local butcher for anything else (at least he can tell me where his meat is from etc) & we have a fantastic bakery just around the corner for our fresh bread - just great : )

- it all works out far cheaper than doing all the shopping in Coles or Woolies roll on a bit of competition
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:42 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
None in SA currently.

The website is: www.aldi.com.au
fingers crossed they open one in SA soon then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.