Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I can't afford to eat in Australia

I can't afford to eat in Australia

Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default I can't afford to eat in Australia

Tell me what you think of ALDI supermarkets. Any good/bad experiences? Most of the products seems to be different brands than what I'm used too- any worth buying?

I recently started buying only my produce from them - OMG are the prices for real.

3kg bag of oranges = $1.99 at Aldi.

3kg bag of oranges = $5.99 at Woolies.

3kg bag of oranges = $4.50 my local fruit shop.

Mushrooms = $5.98 a kg at Aldi

Mushrooms = $13.99 a kg at Woolies.

Mushroom = $10.99 a kg at my local fruit shop.

Wish I'd discovered ALDI months ago.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can't afford to eat in Australia

I know you can't eat them, but Aldis nappies are as good as, if not better than huggies
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Tell me what you think of ALDI supermarkets. Any good/bad experiences? Most of the products seems to be different brands than what I'm used too- any worth buying?

I recently started buying only my produce from them - OMG are the prices for real.

Use Aldi all the time now. They cane Coles for quality and price.

Another example for your list:
'Good Stuff' Turkish Bread 1.99 Aldi / 3.99 Coles.

They also do weekly 'specials' on non-grocery items. Stuff like camping equipment, decorating gear. All top stuff and very good value.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
I know you can't eat them, but Aldis nappies are as good as, if not better than huggies
Toot roll cost so much these days, nappies might be a cheaper alternative.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartacus
Use Aldi all the time now. They cane Coles for quality and price.

Another example for your list:
'Good Stuff' Turkish Bread 1.99 Aldi / 3.99 Coles.

They also do weekly 'specials' on non-grocery items. Stuff like camping equipment, decorating gear. All top stuff and very good value.
Yep can't stand Coles either. I don't think I've ever seen such a large company go down hill so fast as what Coles has in recent years. They're only surviving due to loyal old baby boomers who have shopped at the same Coles supermarket for 20 years, they know where everything is and they won't change.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yep can't stand Coles either. I don't think I've ever seen such a large company go down hill so fast as what Coles has in recent years. They're only surviving due to loyal old baby boomers who have shopped at the same Coles supermarket for 20 years, they know where everything is and they won't change.
Heard that said.

Fruit and veg is just rubbish. Buy six of anything (particularly pre-bagged) and you can be sure that one will have gone off by the time you get home.

We get all our fruit, veg and meat delivered now. Highly recommend it, saves time and money. We use: www.homefreshorganics.com.au
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I hear that some products like Kellogs cornflakes are exactly the same product, made by the same people, but packaged in an Aldi box. They sell for half the price this way.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hear that some products like Kellogs cornflakes are exactly the same product, made by the same people, but packaged in an Aldi box. They sell for half the price this way.
I believe that to be true.

'because Heinz don't make beans for anyone else' . . . my arse.

Most Aldi stuff has a 'continental' feel about it. Got a big tin of german instant coffee weekend just gone, $2.99 against $5.99 for Nescafe. Its a no-brainer.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:00 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We got as much as we can from Aldi. Most of there stuff is good and well priced.

Still have to visit the other supermarkets for other stuff though.

Oh and meat is still best from the Butcher

Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

Are there any Aldi s here in WA, I have nt seen any
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by flowergal
None in WA I'm afraid.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

They're expanding from state to state - QLD being the latest, so It's only a matter of time before they hit WA.

They buy the land and build the store in most cases, so it takes longer to set up and expand compared to some other retailers.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowergal
No
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

We get all our fruit, veg and meat delivered now. Highly recommend it, saves time and money. We use: www.homefreshorganics.com.au
I used to use these guys but to be honest I didn't find the quality that great....and I found that no matter what you requested in your box you got what was cheapest at the market that week anyway.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

2 rules to follow in Australia ( also other countries )

1. dont buy a house under powerlines
2. dont buy a house near an aldi store.

Both have severe effects on the value of your home !

Ste

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.