Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am now a PR!!!

I am now a PR!!!

Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I am now a PR!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have re-visited your home country they are likely to require a fresh police check from there as well.
I agree though - much easier than the original application.
I am due to get my request from DIMIA towards the end of the year - but I was wondering - so we need to have another medical? I am on a defacto 309.
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmccallum
I am due to get my request from DIMIA towards the end of the year - but I was wondering - so we need to have another medical? I am on a defacto 309.
Thanks
Almost certainly not. When I got my papers there was a list of countries - mainly in S America and other places that Australia considers a health risk; if you have visited one of those they may want another medical.
However, if you came straight from the UK to Aus, haven't been anywhere else (except back to the UK) and had no health issues originally, you won't need another.
The only one I had was at the start of the Pros Marriage Visa process.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:06 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Yep Polly is correct no second medical unless you have visited the more obscure countries on the globe.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:25 am
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Thank you both for your replies - Andy had to go back to the UK for two weeks because his mother was ill... Do you think he will need a UK police check for two weeks??

If you have re-visited your home country they are likely to require a fresh police check from there as well.
I agree though - much easier than the original application.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:32 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same (went back to the UK for 2 weeks as my mum was ill) and I was told to get a UK police check. Mine took slightly longer than the 40 days (because of the postage time) and my case officer extended the deadline no problems.

Originally Posted by Sam&Andy
Thank you both for your replies - Andy had to go back to the UK for two weeks because his mother was ill... Do you think he will need a UK police check for two weeks??
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:37 am
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Thanks will get onto it straight away!!!

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I did the same (went back to the UK for 2 weeks as my mum was ill) and I was told to get a UK police check. Mine took slightly longer than the 40 days (because of the postage time) and my case officer extended the deadline no problems.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:54 am

akkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: I am now a PR!!!

Hi all,
I am on a 309 as well, and due for the 2nd stage sometime beginning of next year. The date of application is 1st March 2005. I have read a lot about that documents are needed in the 2nd stage, and also whether a police check is needed from countries that are visited in time since the provisional visa was granted. I have spoken to a DIMA-officer and she told me that as long as the stay is less than 2 months, there is no police check needed (apart from the Ozzie one).

As we are going to The Netherlands for just under two months in spring, I would like to verify this 2 months rule. Does anyone know?

I would also be very happy to know what is exactly in the DIM 2nd stage letter - does anyone have a spare copy?

Thanks,
ak
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akkie
Hi all,
I am on a 309 as well, and due for the 2nd stage sometime beginning of next year. The date of application is 1st March 2005. I have read a lot about that documents are needed in the 2nd stage, and also whether a police check is needed from countries that are visited in time since the provisional visa was granted. I have spoken to a DIMA-officer and she told me that as long as the stay is less than 2 months, there is no police check needed (apart from the Ozzie one).

As we are going to The Netherlands for just under two months in spring, I would like to verify this 2 months rule. Does anyone know?

I would also be very happy to know what is exactly in the DIM 2nd stage letter - does anyone have a spare copy?

Thanks,
ak
Not sure if I still have it, but I'll have a look tonight. I know I had been back to the UK for about 6 weeks in total, but the letter said that ANY amount of time spent there meant I would need another police check - I think it said something like more than X months in any country other than the one from which I had emigrated, and ANY length of time in that home country.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:34 am

Not sure if I still have it, but I'll have a look tonight. I know I had been back to the UK for about 6 weeks in total, but the letter said that ANY amount of time spent there meant I would need another police check - I think it said something like more than X months in any country other than the one from which I had emigrated, and ANY length of time in that home country.
Thanks Polly, would be good if you still have the letter, but if it is as you remember it I have to try and get the Dutch Police Check when I am over there.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:40 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by akkie
Thanks Polly, would be good if you still have the letter, but if it is as you remember it I have to try and get the Dutch Police Check when I am over there.
I'm fairly certain - and one of my posts a few months ago says much the same, that was around the time it was granted so I would've taken that from the letter itself. I will check tonight, but as you're going to the Netherlands anyway I'd sort one out while you're there, just in case.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

I'm fairly certain - and one of my posts a few months ago says much the same, that was around the time it was granted so I would've taken that from the letter itself. I will check tonight, but as you're going to the Netherlands anyway I'd sort one out while you're there, just in case.
I came out on the 309 seven years ago, and got my PR 24 April 2001, just seemed like a paper exercise, had to prove relationship was genuine and ongoing and all that (at the time it was!! - my divorce comes through ion 3 weeks!!!)
Congratulations on becoming PR, it takes away that little bit of "uncertainty" that is always in the back of your mind!!!. All you've gotta do is wait 3 years now for that little blue passport, kids and I got ours in Jan 2004, applied for passport soon after, never used it, just sits there in the file!!! Son has used his few times being in the Navy, youngest kids dont have one yet. Still trying to decided whether to renew UK one or not!!! Dont like the idea of waiting at LHR in the "aliens" queue!!! OH and I are planning trip to UK in 5 years and I know I can travel on both passports.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:26 am

Thanks. you're right better be safe than sorry. I just don't look forward to go to the Dutch bureaucrats ... so was sort of hoping it would not be necessary
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Almost certainly not. When I got my papers there was a list of countries - mainly in S America and other places that Australia considers a health risk; if you have visited one of those they may want another medical.
However, if you came straight from the UK to Aus, haven't been anywhere else (except back to the UK) and had no health issues originally, you won't need another.
The only one I had was at the start of the Pros Marriage Visa process.
Hi - Thanks for your reply. I went back home to South Africa for 3 weeks over Christmas - is that a 'health risk' according to DIMIA?!!!!! Just my luck it will be!!!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:43 am
Home and Happy

Hi - Thanks for your reply. I went back home to South Africa for 3 weeks over Christmas - is that a 'health risk' according to DIMIA?!!!!! Just my luck it will be!!!!!
I can't find the original letter - may have got rid of it I'm afraid, with all the duplicate copies of the applications. Don't know if maybe Tricky Tree still has the paperwork as his was granted more recently?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:02 pm
Go the BNE Roar

Just bought in the letter today to look at and it seems you will not need another medical check although South Africa is on list C you need to have spent an accumulated total of 3 months or more in the country to need another check (so if you have been on multiple 3 week visit that total over 3 months you seem to need a medical).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.