Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am not going home but I need to share something!

I am not going home but I need to share something!

Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I am not going home but I need to share something!

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yes plenty of them moaning about a the rain and how crap it is in the UK etc etc etc. Shame that life is passing them by whilst they yearn to get out to Aus....
There may a few spoken chords of discontent from the 'winging poms' regarding the weather but this is just a national pastime.
I don't feel that most of us do find that life is passing us by......it would just be nice, for a change, not to be restricted to enjoying life by the lousy weather.
It's always nicer when the sun is shinning........why do you think so many of us want to be there.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

"Hubby works 6 days and evenings at the moment so will have to make do with doing it just like everyone else."

JESUS is that all, he must have a spare couple of hours somewhere in the
week, Some are open 24 hours you know, get him out 3 in morning.
while you make do with something else.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:38 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

can thoroughly sympathise with you - dont need to tell you to ignore the sarcastic comments cos you seem to be doing just fine - but can i tell you what a reli of ours did in adelaide? she had 3 kids under 5 and like you had a hubby who worked all the hours he could; she ended up putting an ad in the paper for a local mum to shop-share with her. basically, they went shopping together but took it in turns to do their shopping; one shopped while the other entertained the kids, then swapped. worked out great for them both (took them a few weeks to get used to each others kids, but once they were comfortable with each other they got on fine)

good luck honey ... its a problem we all share at some time or another; for those who have never had the misfortune to have this kind of stress, then please just have some empathy for your fellow expat...sarcasm is seldom helpful.

here in the uk, i used to have to shove twins round the supermarket ... i swear to god my bloodpressure was skyhigh most of the time; its very stressful, i fully empathise with you. since passing my driving test, and with the advent of 24 hour opening, i now shop close to midnight (if not during school hours) to avoid just that scenario!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Perhaps I should re-think my rules of not allowing the kids to eat in the trolley etc!!!!
I hate going shopping with my kids too, and the youngest is nearly 8 Let them eat in the trolley
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I must admit I find it pretty inconsiderate of the Australians not to have a Tescos or Sainsburys. They tempt us across here with all those great programmes on BBC then we find they are all foreigners. In the words of Catherine Tate all I can say is...."The Dirty Bastards"

LOL you made me laugh so much I choked on my cornflakes
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:41 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sasbear
LOL you made me laugh so much I choked on my cornflakes

Tescos would be nice tho, it would give Coles and Woolies a kick where they need it.

I might write a pleading letter to Tommy Tesco and ask him to come over here and work his magic.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
can thoroughly sympathise with you - dont need to tell you to ignore the sarcastic comments cos you seem to be doing just fine - but can i tell you what a reli of ours did in adelaide? she had 3 kids under 5 and like you had a hubby who worked all the hours he could; she ended up putting an ad in the paper for a local mum to shop-share with her. basically, they went shopping together but took it in turns to do their shopping; one shopped while the other entertained the kids, then swapped. worked out great for them both (took them a few weeks to get used to each others kids, but once they were comfortable with each other they got on fine)

good luck honey ... its a problem we all share at some time or another; for those who have never had the misfortune to have this kind of stress, then please just have some empathy for your fellow expat...sarcasm is seldom helpful.

here in the uk, i used to have to shove twins round the supermarket ... i swear to god my bloodpressure was skyhigh most of the time; its very stressful, i fully empathise with you. since passing my driving test, and with the advent of 24 hour opening, i now shop close to midnight (if not during school hours) to avoid just that scenario!!
Thanks for all your responses. Glad someone else knows how to appreicate long opening hours etc etc! Our local opens till about 6/7pm. Hubby's never home by then and he works late on Thursdays. I am going to try the Spud shed. I went there the other day and noticed they were open til 9pm every evening. Veggies tasted better as well. I have been looking for somewhere that stays open past 6pm since we got here.

Online shopping with little ones still rocks. You don't have to leave your computer. You can keep adding things as you run out right up until the day your shop is being delivered. Can't wait for it to arrive in WA but by that time 1 little one will be in school. Yippie!!! As a mum of two little ones fairly close together I can appreciate that twins has it head aches as much as double the fun. If they are anything like mine it seems to take longer to teach right from wrong as they encourage each other to be little monkeys and laugh each other on and when I try to get them to be gentle with each other they kill themselves laughing at jumping on top of each other (wouldn't change it though). My 3 year old occasionally copies the less desirable baby behaviours to (throwing food was the one the other day - went to get a drink for little one and the had both tipped out there food - great!)

I nipped to the super market for a couple of bits yesterday with my 19 month old and it was soooooooooo easy. It was much more managable. Easy to keep him engaged as I didn't have to control two little ones. (there not that bad but I do notice how much easier it is). I see many mums wandering around with 3 kids in the school holidays. The supermarket is just another thing that needs to get done and it does. My kids are pretty good in the supermarket we often have a good time especially if its raining and can't get out. Online shopping would just make it easier that's all!!

Poppet
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:04 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Thanks for all your responses. Glad someone else knows how to appreicate long opening hours etc etc! Our local opens till about 6/7pm. Hubby's never home by then and he works late on Thursdays. I am going to try the Spud shed. I went there the other day and noticed they were open til 9pm every evening. Veggies tasted better as well. I have been looking for somewhere that stays open past 6pm since we got here.

Online shopping with little ones still rocks. You don't have to leave your computer. You can keep adding things as you run out right up until the day your shop is being delivered. Can't wait for it to arrive in WA but by that time 1 little one will be in school. Yippie!!! As a mum of two little ones fairly close together I can appreciate that twins has it head aches as much as double the fun. If they are anything like mine it seems to take longer to teach right from wrong as they encourage each other to be little monkeys and laugh each other on and when I try to get them to be gentle with each other they kill themselves laughing at jumping on top of each other (wouldn't change it though). My 3 year old occasionally copies the less desirable baby behaviours to (throwing food was the one the other day - went to get a drink for little one and the had both tipped out there food - great!)

I nipped to the super market for a couple of bits yesterday with my 19 month old and it was soooooooooo easy. It was much more managable. Easy to keep him engaged as I didn't have to control two little ones. (there not that bad but I do notice how much easier it is). I see many mums wandering around with 3 kids in the school holidays. The supermarket is just another thing that needs to get done and it does. My kids are pretty good in the supermarket we often have a good time especially if its raining and can't get out. Online shopping would just make it easier that's all!!

Poppet
http://www.freshline-groceries.com.au/deliveries.html

...............it's a start
I miss online shopping too
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sme
http://www.freshline-groceries.com.au/deliveries.html

...............it's a start
I miss online shopping too
Thanks I've dropped them an email.