Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am not going home but I need to share something!

I am not going home but I need to share something!

Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default I am not going home but I need to share something!

I miss online shopping at tescos and sainsburys.

My kiddies are pretty young and a trip to the supermarket is not all that much fun anymore. I can pick up a few things no problem but to concentrate on a full shop thats another matter. I know I have to get over it (its wont be that hard trust me) and everyone else manages just fine but I know it would help me out if I could shop online. I am sure I could save some money by shopping properly and would also be able to plan better and watch the cents etc.

Hubby works 6 days and evenings at the moment so will have to make do with doing it just like everyone else.

I obviously realise its not that big a deal but do appreciate just how good the supermarkets were in England.

Poppet UK

Last edited by PoppetUK; Jul 21st 2007 at 10:47 am.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am not going home but I need to share something!

Coles do online shopping, but it doesn't cover our area. Perhaps have a look see if they do yours.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

My kiddies are pretty young and a trip to the supermarket is not all that much fun anymore. I can pick up a few things no problem but to concentrate on a full shop thats another matter. I know I have to get over it (its wont be that hard trust me) and everyone else manages just fine but I know it would help me out if I could shop online. I am sure I could save some money by shopping properly and would also be able to plan better and watch the cents etc.

Hubby works 6 days and evenings at the moment so will have to make do with doing it just like everyone else.

I obviously realise its not that big a deal but do appreciate just how good the supermarkets were in England.

Poppet UK
Helmets on lads!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:35 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Poppet UK
with young children you are up early try shopping first thing as the shop opens its quiet and you can whizz round and thee wont be a queue at the checkout
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:34 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with online shopping though is you never get quite what you want.

I had put a 40p bag of peanuts on my list once. they didn't have any so they substituted with a £2.50 bag of 'special' nuts

I prefer to leave the kids with OH and go shopping in the evening.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asher
with young children you are up early try shopping first thing as the shop opens its quiet and you can whizz round and thee wont be a queue at the checkout
Thanks for the tip I am a pretty whizzing shopper. Chatting and singing to the kids all the time. You probably know the mad women in Secret Harbour Woolworths if you see her (that's me)!!!

I just hate the fact that I can't think about what I want to buy and its always a rush. I am sure I just grab things. Often end up missing something because I have to hit the check out before it all goes badly wrong.

Perhaps I should re-think my rules of not allowing the kids to eat in the trolley etc!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:40 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Those checkout chicks that INSIST on packing my bags for me get on my nerves ... damn they slow me down.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I must admit I find it pretty inconsiderate of the Australians not to have a Tescos or Sainsburys. They tempt us across here with all those great programmes on BBC then we find they are all foreigners. In the words of Catherine Tate all I can say is...."The Dirty Bastards"
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Those checkout chicks that INSIST on packing my bags for me get on my nerves ... damn they slow me down.
Tell me about it. Just for the hell of it when I go home I am going to see how long the pause is between scanning. Goes something like this in England Check out lady says "hi how are you" "fine thanks" then: bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep.bleep. bleep. bleep. bleep. That wil be £150.14 please! Thanks. I am out of here.

Now the Australia version. How are you doing? Fine thanks. Been up to much. No just the normal. Oh ok. Bleep...............Is it strange having your bags packed for? I hear they don't in England Bleep............... Bleep.......... Ah bless isn't he blonde.............bleep............Do they still nap........ bleep. I haven't put in my responses or we will be hear for ever!!!!

Of course its very nice and when you don't know any body in the begining its nice to just speak to someone other than the kids but now I need to get it done quick before the 19 month old climbs out of the trolley and breaks his neck and the 3 year is whinging because she's seen all the food and wants it!!!!

I hope you guys don't take this too seriously I'm not but often text can come across the wrong way on here.

Poppet
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Ah good to see we still have some Whinging Poms............mm
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
Oh is that what they call it. Funny I've never heard of that saying before!!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:16 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Just an idea Why dont you make a list????? and then get the kids to help you to??? My kids love doing that!! Seems to make the trip quicker and not so painful!!

Love the example of the UK vs Oz check out girl, I SOOOOOOO wanna pack my own bags again!!! Because If I get home one more time and the bread is squashed I will return to the store and ram it up her nose!!!
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Just an idea Why dont you make a list????? and then get the kids to help you to??? My kids love doing that!! Seems to make the trip quicker and not so painful!!

Love the example of the UK vs Oz check out girl, I SOOOOOOO wanna pack my own bags again!!! Because If I get home one more time and the bread is squashed I will return to the store and ram it up her nose!!!
The kids love helping. I do all that can you find the blah blah blah etc etc. I guess its more that I don't have the time to "shop". Tried to find a can of condensed cream of tomato soup the other day but they don't sell it so I was wasting my time. The main problem is that my son wriggles out of the trolley every three seconds so I have to keep an eye on him whilst trying to scan the aisles. I am sure it will get better when I know where everything is as well. I mean really is not that bad but I just would love to sit here online doing it rather than having to do it with them in tow.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Yes plenty of them moaning about a the rain and how crap it is in the UK etc etc etc. Shame that life is passing them by whilst they yearn to get out to Aus....
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Poppet UK
I know what you mean , I try to go early mornings or without kids as I can't focus so well. Always take a list and do it in the order of the aisles. Take a few books, toys, grapes. Don't look at other shoppers.. head down, blinkers on, ouzi at the ready. Use bribery if you have to! (i.e ride on the car thing outside if they are quiet / help/ don't escape). Allow them to drop stuff into the trolley too and talk aloud all the time (sounds like you do anyway). Insist on packing your own bags and pretend to be feeling sick to curb chat and increase speed! Pay cash and go. go, go.
p.s if you are not sure whether they stock things go alone with your list of queries and ask a member of staff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.