Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Human faces of the tenancy crisis

Human faces of the tenancy crisis

Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:38 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough
Default Human faces of the tenancy crisis

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Arti...808:crisisface

Rather worrying for the renters among us?

Quote"The rental market has never been so tight"
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Human faces of the tenancy crisis

Does anyone know whether it is the same on the gold coast? Or are rentals easier to come by.

We will be arriving on 16th October and have allowed 4 weeks in holiday accomodation to find a rental property! Have been looking on realesate.com.au and i have to say there seems to be a fair few properties out there
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

When we got here in Jan there were plenty of rentals, but you just had to be quick. Can't browse around. Just moved again, got the house i wanted. But i got the the application in straight away. Still plenty of rentals, but just as many tenants.

Stacey
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:14 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

WA/Perth feedback would be welcome?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
When we got here in Jan there were plenty of rentals, but you just had to be quick. Can't browse around. Just moved again, got the house i wanted. But i got the the application in straight away. Still plenty of rentals, but just as many tenants.

Stacey
thanks for that Stacey,

Do you mind me asking what documentary evidence you needed to secure a rental? Our biggest problem is that we don't have a rental record or mortgage record to satisfy the agents.

PS - i see you are in monterey keys - we stayed there for a week in April - loved it!

Nicky
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

there were stories like this going around Sydney at end of last year or start of this year. The squeeze was more true for places near the city for unit, rather than family houses in the burbs. I also get a bit skeptical of Domain articles that to a great job for the agent whom pay so much money to advertise with them
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:44 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We are near Rockingham and there are rentals out there but what I found hard was that the agents would not call you back. You look on the internet, see one you like, you phone up the agent, "she`s not in, she`ll phone back tomorrow", can`t you arrange a viewing?? "No sorry you have to deal with that particular agent, she`ll definatley phone you tomorrow". Tomorrow late pm, you phone them because they haven`t bothered, the agent then tells you that the viewing will be next Monday but not sure yet of the time, they`ll call you back, they never do.
Then you do get a viewing, so you go along but aren`t sure if it`s exactly what you want as you finally have a couple more to see (usually 10 minutes after the one you are currently in and right over the other side of the suburb). So you take an application anyway, have a look at the others and decide that the first one was better, so you fill the application out and hand it in to the agent at dawn the next morning, along with the one weeks money. They tell you they will let you know within a couple of days, guess what............... they don`t You finally get a hold of them and they tell you, that you had a very good application but haven`t been successful, "Would you like to leave the money with us and look at one of our other rentals?" so you think this makes sense and you say you`ll have a look on the net and see what else they have. You then try to arrange a viewing for the other house you`ve seen and guess what...... the agent doesn`t return your calls, so you get peed off and ask for you money back (you paid cash) and they say ok we`ll send you a cheque (this arrives back about a week later).
It`s all great fun though (honest! ) and if you are lucky (like we were) you will find an agent who does call you back (eventually)and who will do their best to help you.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by walaj
I also get a bit skeptical of Domain articles that to a great job for the agent whom pay so much money to advertise with them
Totally agree with you > SQEEZE > Higher Rents > More Agent Commision > Article relates to Agents > Agents fund article advertisement fee > BUT Still worrying if you want to rent and cannot afford to buy like me?:curse:
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Nursebank are you going to melbourne? I am going hopefully sometime towards the end of the year and probably won't be able to buy either...getting a bit worried now that I will not be bale to live in a reasonable area
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Nursebank are you going to melbourne? I am going hopefully sometime towards the end of the year and probably won't be able to buy either...getting a bit worried now that I will not be bale to live in a reasonable area
Maybe WA (Perth) but housing is an issue, cost is a problem, so cannot afford to buy, if rents are going skyward, then what other option.

Like you say, less desirable areas, its very worrying, its like this in London now, and hopefully does not spread to other areas of the UK?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
We are near Rockingham and there are rentals out there but what I found hard was that the agents would not call you back. You look on the internet, see one you like, you phone up the agent, "she`s not in, she`ll phone back tomorrow", can`t you arrange a viewing?? "No sorry you have to deal with that particular agent, she`ll definatley phone you tomorrow". Tomorrow late pm, you phone them because they haven`t bothered, the agent then tells you that the viewing will be next Monday but not sure yet of the time, they`ll call you back, they never do.
Then you do get a viewing, so you go along but aren`t sure if it`s exactly what you want as you finally have a couple more to see (usually 10 minutes after the one you are currently in and right over the other side of the suburb). So you take an application anyway, have a look at the others and decide that the first one was better, so you fill the application out and hand it in to the agent at dawn the next morning, along with the one weeks money. They tell you they will let you know within a couple of days, guess what............... they don`t You finally get a hold of them and they tell you, that you had a very good application but haven`t been successful, "Would you like to leave the money with us and look at one of our other rentals?" so you think this makes sense and you say you`ll have a look on the net and see what else they have. You then try to arrange a viewing for the other house you`ve seen and guess what...... the agent doesn`t return your calls, so you get peed off and ask for you money back (you paid cash) and they say ok we`ll send you a cheque (this arrives back about a week later).
It`s all great fun though (honest! ) and if you are lucky (like we were) you will find an agent who does call you back (eventually)and who will do their best to help you.
Would you let us know what agent eventually called you back. After that story I would rather deal with one who did this than one who left us hanging on. Thanks

Nic
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:35 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I`ll send you a pm