Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eye test in Australia

Eye test in Australia

Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future
Question Eye test in Australia

My son will be 12 when we get to Australia and i was wondering what sort of cost it is for eye test and the price of glasses for children.
He obviously gets a free test here in the uk and a voucher towards a new pair of glasses which normaly cost me aprox £55. He'd like to have contact lenses but i think maybe in a few years, are these expensive or about the same? any help appreciated
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:01 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye test in Australia

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT
My son will be 12 when we get to Australia and i was wondering what sort of cost it is for eye test and the price of glasses for children.
He obviously gets a free test here in the uk and a voucher towards a new pair of glasses which normaly cost me aprox £55. He'd like to have contact lenses but i think maybe in a few years, are these expensive or about the same? any help appreciated
Eye tests are usually bulk-billed to Medicare. Glass and frames can be up to $500-600(ie not cheap) depending on type, if you do not have optical cover on a health plan to cover costs.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Eye tests are usually bulk-billed to Medicare. Glass and frames can be up to $500-600(ie not cheap) depending on type, if you do not have optical cover on a health plan to cover costs.
Thanks for that info. Will have to see about getting optical cover then!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:14 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info. Will have to see about getting optical cover then!
Read the FINEPRINT, as most plans have a waiting(qualifying ) period before they can be claimed on, as well as sometimes limited payments ie they pay some-you pay the "gap".
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Read the FINEPRINT, as most plans have a waiting(qualifying ) period before they can be claimed on, as well as sometimes limited payments ie they pay some-you pay the "gap".
will do thankyou.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:17 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

every 2 years...the last time I bought glasses for my two it was $600 but this was for a pair of ordinary specs and a pair of prescription sunnies. A lot of the opticians are now doing buy one get one free offers.....and there are also a couple of good internet sites for specs
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy
every 2 years...the last time I bought glasses for my two it was $600 but this was for a pair of ordinary specs and a pair of prescription sunnies. A lot of the opticians are now doing buy one get one free offers.....and there are also a couple of good internet sites for specs
Thanks.
Do you mean he would have his eyes tested every 2 years?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:32 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
they qualify for a FREE test every 2 years...tis up to you how often you get it done but u will pay for extra
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:36 pm

Thanks.
Eyetests should be done regularly. The OH has had her's tested twice in the last two years(original test & recently), as her original glasses were not working as good as they were two years before when she got them.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:43 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Get the test, then order from goggles4u.com
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the info
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you get a free eye test every year on medicare?

I think you're right to say no to lenses at age 12, it's waaaaay too young. I'd say at least 16, and even then it would be better to stick with glasses!

(One other piece of eye info, probably not relevant to the 12 year old in the OP, is that if you get a letter from your optometrist saying that you are suitable for laser surgery then you can claim some money back from the cost of a consultation for surgery... I will be doing this over the next few weeks!)