Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC Account problem

HSBC Account problem

Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:06 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough
Default HSBC Account problem

We have been with the ANZ since arriving in Australia but have decided to change over to the HSBC because of the no fees and use of Post Office and 5 free ATM's a Month.
We just went through the online application but need to print out and take to the branch a couple of forms, the problem is one the forms won't load up on my computer.

https://www.hsbc.com.au/app_forms/pdf/s21.pdf

https://www.hsbc.com.au/app_forms/pd...wledgement.pdf

The first one of the two loads up but I can't load the second one, they are both PDF and use Acrobat reader which I have installed.

Does it work for you? Anyone else had this problem with HSBC?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:27 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: HSBC Account problem

Originally Posted by Ozzy4life
We have been with the ANZ since arriving in Australia but have decided to change over to the HSBC because of the no fees and use of Post Office and 5 free ATM's a Month.
We just went through the online application but need to print out and take to the branch a couple of forms, the problem is one the forms won't load up on my computer.

The first one of the two loads up but I can't load the second one, they are both PDF and use Acrobat reader which I have installed.

Not had a problem with downloading. Not had a problem with the customer service either [they are ALWAYS polite]......but....had a problem with various issues regarding the account

For instance one of our cash cards wouldn't swipe after 3 months so we asked for a replacement. HSBC said it would take 10 days for new one. We asked if we could use old one until new one arrived but were told we had to cut old one up and take out 10 days worth of cash

Also had numerous probs re transferring money back and forth between UK/Aus

And then there are times we we were required to go to the bank, and for us that's the main branch in middle of Brisbane as there are no "local" HSBC

Others may disagree, others may have not had any probs but I guess it's all about individual requirements and where you live in relation to a branch etc.

Given my time again, and given the various inconveniences, I would personally use a bank that had local access.

Down to you to decide

Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:31 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Not had a problem with downloading. Not had a problem with the customer service either [they are ALWAYS polite]......but....had a problem with various issues regarding the account

For instance one of our cash cards wouldn't swipe after 3 months so we asked for a replacement. HSBC said it would take 10 days for new one. We asked if we could use old one until new one arrived but were told we had to cut old one up and take out 10 days worth of cash

Also had numerous probs re transferring money back and forth between UK/Aus

And then there are times we we were required to go to the bank, and for us that's the main branch in middle of Brisbane as there are no "local" HSBC

Others may disagree, others may have not had any probs but I guess it's all about individual requirements and where you live in relation to a branch etc.

Given my time again, and given the various inconveniences, I would personally use a bank that had local access.

Down to you to decide
I would be very interested in the probs with transferring money...My husband has an account here and has opened one there and wants to transfere the money from the house etc with them...seeing youve had probs is a little concerning
Old Jul 17th 2005, 5:39 am
ABCDiamond

Both of them work for me,

The first one you listed is about 117k in size, and has 4 pages, but the 2nd one is about 322k in size, although only one page.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Have had one or two problems with them but will stay - other Oz banks don't have a *great* reputation!

Last month eg. I received an email from them saying that they "were unable to process" my weekly rental standing order. It took several calls before I was told that it HAD been processed anyway, and to "ignore" the email. No explanation.......

There is always the "Chinese" effect, when you call them, too. ( And I'm not being racist here). 99% of the clerks are Chinese (well, it IS the HSBC!) When you call with a problem, it can be difficult to understand them: not helped because they speak so quickly. And the Chinese, being quick-witted, listen to the first words of your query, make up their mind what the rest of it is going to be, and formulate their reply based on that while you, in your bumbling way, work your way towards the end. Unfortunately, they often haven't picked up on the correct gist and the reply has no relevance!

I still think the HSBC beats the rest as regards charges.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 7:45 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Have had one or two problems with them but will stay - other Oz banks don't have a *great* reputation!

Last month eg. I received an email from them saying that they "were unable to process" my weekly rental standing order. It took several calls before I was told that it HAD been processed anyway, and to "ignore" the email. No explanation.......

There is always the "Chinese" effect, when you call them, too. ( And I'm not being racist here). 99% of the clerks are Chinese (well, it IS the HSBC!) When you call with a problem, it can be difficult to understand them: not helped because they speak so quickly. And the Chinese, being quick-witted, listen to the first words of your query, make up their mind what the rest of it is going to be, and formulate their reply based on that while you, in your bumbling way, work your way towards the end. Unfortunately, they often haven't picked up on the correct gist and the reply has no relevance!

I still think the HSBC beats the rest as regards charges.
Agree 100%

I don't seem to have too much of a prob but for some reason the hubby gets frustrated when he can't understand the telephone customer service dept or vice versa. He also agrees they are really helpful, courteous and polite, but the fact they can't seem to communicate means he spends ages [and I mean ages] trying to get things done

Also, I questioned why it was so complicated, time consuming and awkward at times to transfer money from my Aus HSBC account into my sons UK HSBC account? I pointed out it was "the worlds local bank"...only to be told all countries have their own ways of operating, own laws etc and in fact they operate as different franchisees hence not being able to do things "seemlessly" at times.

So it seems there is no such thing as "the worlds most local bank after all"

Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:09 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Agree 100%

I don't seem to have too much of a prob but for some reason the hubby gets frustrated when he can't understand the telephone customer service dept or vice versa. He also agrees they are really helpful, courteous and polite, but the fact they can't seem to communicate means he spends ages [and I mean ages] trying to get things done

Also, I questioned why it was so complicated, time consuming and awkward at times to transfer money from my Aus HSBC account into my sons UK HSBC account? I pointed out it was "the worlds local bank"...only to be told all countries have their own ways of operating, own laws etc and in fact they operate as different franchisees hence not being able to do things "seemlessly" at times.

So it seems there is no such thing as "the worlds most local bank after all"
I certainly agree all discussed. We were with HSBC in the UK, and thought no big deal doing all the paperwork etc, but was not the case. HSBC worlds bank ....my eye! Great for free eftpos etc, but what a language barrier. Also be warned, very few branches, only 3 in Brisbane area, therefor when it comes to wanting bank cheques etc, a trip to the big city! We have now opened an account with Bank of Queensland, and will in time shut the HSBC.
They are so friendly and it is very convenient being about 3 kms away.
ViVi
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Both the PDF files are opening for me, without any problems!

We bank with HSBC and do most of it on line, we have had very few problems over 14 months. It is handy if you can get to a branch, which are few and far between in Australia, mainly in the state capitals. We've had to sort a few hiccups out with our account and required bankers drafts to be drawn up...so called in in person.

Not encountered any language problems, it's possibly because everybody loves a Scottish accent

Overall nothing but a pleasant experience, and would highly recommend them.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:14 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Both the PDF files are opening for me, without any problems!

We bank with HSBC and do most of it on line, we have had very few problems over 14 months. It is handy if you can get to a branch, which are few and far between in Australia, mainly in the state capitals. We've had to sort a few hiccups out with our account and required bankers drafts to be drawn up...so called in in person.

Not encountered any language problems, it's possibly because everybody loves a Scottish accent

Overall nothing but a pleasant experience, and would highly recommend them.
PHEW! Just posted all the forms from UK to the International branch last week to open up an online account in Brisbane - not heard anything yet - can you remember how long it took by chance?

I had to send bankers draft for $2000 to open the account.
I chose HSBC because of less charges and I do most of my banking online anyway - very rarely venture into bank in Glasgow....I believe you can do a lot of stuff at post offices too in Brisbane?

Will start banking with them at 1st then decide after a few months if we are happy with everything - you can always change to a different bank!

Lynn

p.s Yes we found that the Scottish accent helped too - they love the Scots! Everywhere we went we were told stories of their holidays to Edinburgh castle and one lady said when they played the Braveheart soundtrack on the coach how she was moved to tears!!!!!!! lol all we could do was laugh!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=lynnlovessun]PHEW! Just posted all the forms from UK to the International branch last week to open up an online account in Brisbane - not heard anything yet - can you remember how long it took by chance?

I had to send bankers draft for $2000 to open the account.
I chose HSBC because of less charges and I do most of my banking online anyway - very rarely venture into bank in Glasgow....I believe you can do a lot of stuff at post offices too in Brisbane?

QUOTE]

Lynn

We opened our account in the HSBC in Edinburgh. We then activated our bank account once we arrived in Australia. We collected all our papers, bank cards and cheque book when we got here. So I couldn't tell you how long it took.

All your basic transactions can be done at any post office, pay in, with-drawls etc. We haven't had any reason to change banks.

Hope you are enjoying the Scottish summer, 'cos it'll be a bit hotter when you get here in 3 months time