Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HP Printers are region coded!

HP Printers are region coded!

Old May 11th 2010, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HP Printers are region coded!

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You must have a really old one then.
3 years old HP Officejet with new ink cartridges changed the other month.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yep, I had this. I phoned their OZ number which connects to the States. Spoke with a woman who unlocked it all and its worked fine sicne.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

BTW I use valueprint.com.au (they are Sydney based) who do most makes of cartridges/tanks inc. chipped ones. Their Canon tanks are 80% cheaper than the genuine Canon ones - and My Canon just *eats* ink!
Old May 12th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Well I had a HP printer from Europe (not UK) and I have used it for the last 2half years and had no problem with cartridges!
The hp printer was a very cheap printer/scanner one.

However printer just died, but the Aus cartridges did work.

Gems
Old May 12th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Just wanted to share with everyone that HP have region coded their ink cartridges. Just tried to put in my first cartridge bought over here in Oz and it doesn't like it. The printer is out of warranty so at first tech support were going to charge to "regionalize"! the printer, but now they're going to do it as a warranty call on the ink cartridges themselves!

I had to get them to call back tomorrow though because what I thought would be a quick call while my 3 year old was happy playing had already got to 30 mins and they were just starting to ask me to find a USB cable to connect the printer directly.

it'll all be fine tomorrow.
I had a similar problem but I contacted HP (online) and they phoned me back and talked me through the re-programming process on line - took little time and now all is set for use with the Aussie cartridges. It was very simple!
Old May 14th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Well it's all working fine now. Only 30 minutes on the phone, so not too bad. The code is specific to each printer and is generated depending on how many pages have been printed amongst other things, so unfortunately everyone has to phone HP themselves. Another thing to note is that the regionalizing (I know it's American spelling - HP!) can only be done 3 times, so if you do change countries a lot just stick to one regions ink cartridges.

Thanks for the link for cheap ink in Sydney btw Wol.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Thanks for the link for cheap ink in Sydney btw Wol.<<

Pleasure: I have found them very good - prompt and responsive if you have any problems. Their ink is said to be ISO standard and I've been using it for several years. I *did* have to replace a printhead a few months ago but even if it *was* because of using non-Canon ink I've still saved a fortune compared with the $25 each of eight tanks in the printer!
Old May 14th 2010, 8:17 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought this question was right there with the curtains fitting windows.
Old May 14th 2010, 2:26 pm
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Yep, I had this. I phoned their OZ number which connects to the States. Spoke with a woman who unlocked it all and its worked fine sicne.
Same here.