Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HP Printers are region coded!

HP Printers are region coded!

Old May 11th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default HP Printers are region coded!

Just wanted to share with everyone that HP have region coded their ink cartridges. Just tried to put in my first cartridge bought over here in Oz and it doesn't like it. The printer is out of warranty so at first tech support were going to charge to "regionalize"! the printer, but now they're going to do it as a warranty call on the ink cartridges themselves!

I had to get them to call back tomorrow though because what I thought would be a quick call while my 3 year old was happy playing had already got to 30 mins and they were just starting to ask me to find a USB cable to connect the printer directly.

it'll all be fine tomorrow.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HP Printers are region coded!

Barstewards.... this is the first time I heard about this.

Right I'll be exploring this one inside out.

Someone will surely come up with a fix.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

What a bunch of Barstewards. I will make a note to myself never to buy an HP product again.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:41 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
What a bunch of Barstewards. I will make a note to myself never to buy an HP product again.
Tastes good on bacon sarnies though.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

RachH will become famous soon enoughRachH will become famous soon enough

i had this problem a while ago. Tried to buy the equivalent for my hp printer bought in england. i ended up ordering my cartridges online from www.r4card.com.au and they were delivered from europe somewhere within about 7 days...also worked out - including postage - pretty much the same price as the ones i tried to buy locally.

I will get round to getting my printer decoded but don't fancy an hour long phone call to get it sorted!
Old May 11th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly

I checked it out, Epsom do it as well

There will be a hack somewhere though
Old May 11th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
Just wanted to share with everyone that HP have region coded their ink cartridges. Just tried to put in my first cartridge bought over here in Oz and it doesn't like it. The printer is out of warranty so at first tech support were going to charge to "regionalize"! the printer, but now they're going to do it as a warranty call on the ink cartridges themselves!

I had to get them to call back tomorrow though because what I thought would be a quick call while my 3 year old was happy playing had already got to 30 mins and they were just starting to ask me to find a USB cable to connect the printer directly.

When they first "chipped " the cartridges and increased the price (surprise ) I switched to http://calidad.com.au/FindProdStep1.asp?MAN=HP
never had any problem but have since switched to laser as it more price competitive.
As ozzieeagle says : Barstewards....
Old May 11th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

I'm going to try and write down the codes that they give me tomorrow and post them and the method somewhere tomorrow for the HP Photosmart C4380, but I'm sure that the codes are specific to each region and for each printer.

Thankfully they're not charging me and if they ring me tomorrow they'll be paying for the call too. I also read somewhere else that you can only change the region 3 times, so for frequent movers that online cartridge ordering is definitely the way to go.

I can't believe when I rang and asked them if there was some kind of region coding, I thought I was just being mad and that they would say just give the cartridges a clean or something!
Old May 11th 2010, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to try and write down the codes that they give me tomorrow and post them and the method somewhere tomorrow for the HP Photosmart C4380, but I'm sure that the codes are specific to each region and for each printer.

Thankfully they're not charging me and if they ring me tomorrow they'll be paying for the call too. I also read somewhere else that you can only change the region 3 times, so for frequent movers that online cartridge ordering is definitely the way to go.

I can't believe when I rang and asked them if there was some kind of region coding, I thought I was just being mad and that they would say just give the cartridges a clean or something!

That would be useful. I also have two HP printers and one is a photosmart.

I may have to stock up on cartrtidges before we go.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Love it LOL.

Jo
Old May 11th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Love it LOL.

Jo
Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Source please.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Can you get your original cartridges refilled in OZ???
Seems like a way round it.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to share with everyone that HP have region coded their ink cartridges.
Not for me they haven't. My UK HP printer works perfectly and so do the Aussie bought ink cartridges.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Not for me they haven't. My UK HP printer works perfectly and so do the Aussie bought ink cartridges.
You must have a really old one then.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

It appears that each machine generates a separate code, so using someone elses code will probably not work. However, this was back in 2007-08, so things may have change. (to make it even harder !)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.